X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
    Well it makes a change for the man to get the blame...
    It made me think of the MP "useless Eustice", since this storm has no useful purpose.
    Should have been really as it carried a ‘Red’ warning in Cornwall!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Well it makes a change for the man to get the blame...
      It made me think of the MP "useless Eustice", since this storm has no useful purpose.
      I don't half help clean up the air, though!

Comment

• oddoneout
        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        I don't half help clean up the air, though!
        Yup, sweeps away the microparticles and you can see the macro ones coming so can avoid them if you're lucky.

Comment

• oddoneout
          • Nov 2015

We’ve been at the vanguard of taking action
          says Raab. I thought a vanguard was something to be in rather than at.

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

says Raab. I thought a vanguard was something to be in rather than at.
            Didn't John Major once say "When your back's against the wall, the only thing to do is turn and fight."
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

I taut I tau a tautology of the most blatant variety. From QOBUZ, no kidding:

"Beethoven: Symphonies Nos. 3 & 8 (Liszt Piano Transcriptions) (Transcribed for Piano by Liszt)"

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

I see BBC News Online has altered one of its headlines to 'US man wins $450k lawsuit after unwanted office birthday party'. It originally said 'US man wins $450k suit after unwanted office birthday party'. I thought: Whoever would want a suit worth $450k - even as a prize?
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• oddoneout
                  • Nov 2015

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                  I see BBC News Online has altered one of its headlines to 'US man wins $450k lawsuit after unwanted office birthday party'. It originally said 'US man wins $450k suit after unwanted office birthday party'. I thought: Whoever would want a suit worth $450k - even as a prize?
                  Wonder if the PM wishes he could do the same?

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Wonder if the PM wishes he could do the same?
                    At least he's not as careless as his oppo in the US - he's lost over 60 suits in the last couple of years alone.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                      • Nov 2010

What used to be called a series now seems to have become a season even with many British speakers of English. A season, as well as being part of the year, is a selection of related items, eg films by one director or with a shared theme. Likewise, seasons of certain music. They are connected but are not a sequence of episodes which, as with a narrative drama, are created to be shown together, usually in a prescribed order, ie a series.

Thus is one piece of American usage which serves no useful purpose and which I shall not be adopting.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                        Host
                        • Feb 2014

From the announcement in the James O'Donnell thread:

James O’Donnell, Organist and Master of the Choristers at Westminster Abbey, has been appointed as Professor in the Yale School of Music and Yale Institute of Sacred Music. He will leave the Abbey this Christmas.

As the Abbey’s Director of Music he has been the head of the Abbey music department and overseen all musical aspects of the Abbey’s work, including directing the celebrated Choir of Westminster Abbey.

I would have written:

As the Abbey’s Director of Music he has been the head of the Abbey music department and has overseen all musical aspects of the Abbey’s work, including directing the celebrated Choir of Westminster Abbey.

The reluctance to repeat the auxiliary verb, which is increasingly prevalent, really annoys me!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                          From the announcement in the James O'Donnell thread:

James O’Donnell, Organist and Master of the Choristers at Westminster Abbey, has been appointed as Professor in the Yale School of Music and Yale Institute of Sacred Music. He will leave the Abbey this Christmas.

As the Abbey’s Director of Music he has been the head of the Abbey music department and overseen all musical aspects of the Abbey’s work, including directing the celebrated Choir of Westminster Abbey.

I would have written:

As the Abbey’s Director of Music he has been the head of the Abbey music department and has overseen all musical aspects of the Abbey’s work, including directing the celebrated Choir of Westminster Abbey.

The reluctance to repeat the auxiliary verb, which is increasingly prevalent, really annoys me!
                          I do that all the time!

Comment

• Pulcinella
                            Host
                            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                            I do that all the time!
                            Never mind.
                            I'll still be your friend!

Someone more learned than wot I am (frenchie?) will no doubt be able to explain why I get annoyed.
                            Is it the 'been' in this instance?
                            For example, there's not quite the same jarring effect if it had read:

He has played the organ and conducted the choir......

Though even there I'd probably repeat the 'has'.

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                              Your strong feeling on the matter inspired me to investigate (Gowers' Fowler, Butterfield's Fowler, Fraser's Gowers' Plain Words) but I can't see that any of them pronounce on the matter. It's not grammatically incorrect to omit the auxiliary on the second occasion, is it? I can see that where a lengthy phrase separates the clauses the repetition adds instant clarity, but I don't think comprehension is seriously affected by the omission.

I wonder, is there a nuance introduced by the repetition? The omission might be thought to make the two clauses flow together, the repetition to separate them, as:

He has been the head of the Abbey music department and [thus, as a consequence, in that capacity] overseen all musical aspects of the Abbey’s work

as against:

He has been the head of the Abbey music department and [in addition, and somewhat unexpectedly] has played scrum half for the Abbey's second XV.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                                Host
                                • Feb 2014

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                                Your strong feeling on the matter inspired me to investigate (Gowers' Fowler, Butterfield's Fowler, Fraser's Gowers' Plain Words) but I can't see that any of them pronounce on the matter. It's not grammatically incorrect to omit the auxiliary on the second occasion, is it? I can see that where a lengthy phrase separates the clauses the repetition adds instant clarity, but I don't think comprehension is seriously affected by the omission.

I wonder, is there a nuance introduced by the repetition? The omission might be thought to make the two clauses flow together, the repetition to separate them, as:

He has been the head of the Abbey music department and [thus, as a consequence, in that capacity] overseen all musical aspects of the Abbey’s work

as against:

He has been the head of the Abbey music department and [in addition, and somewhat unexpectedly] has played scrum half for the Abbey's second XV.
                                That's an interesting thought.
                                I'll look out for other annoying instances and try to see if there's any sort of pattern.

Now there's an example in which it wasn't necessary to say I'll look out ..... and will try....!
                                Maybe it really was the 'been' that causes the awkwardness that I find.

Comment

Working...
                                X