• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pabmusic
    • May 2011

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
    The verb 'to trend' has a long history.

My old OED has quotes back to 1000 AD - "Se æppel næfre thæs feorr ne trendeth, he cyth, hwanon he com", and many subsequent references from the 14th, 17th, 18th, and 19th centuries.

The OED quotations for "trend" as a noun are much more recent - 17th, 18th, 19th cent.
    Not only banana-skinned, but carpet-pulled to boot.

Comment

• Flosshilde
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
      I missed that, Floss. It only goes to show.
      Mangerton did suggest that it might be a mis-print for 'wended', but I'm not sure that I'm convinced by that idea. I'd need to check in another edition.

I've been banana-skinned! (I bet that's not in Rider Haggard ).
      banana-skinned?

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
        As in "Does my ask look big in this?"

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
          If a big ask goes wrong, will it end up as the biggest ask disaster in the world?

Comment

• Pabmusic
            • May 2011

...banana-skinned?
            Slipped up in a transitive way.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

I think that the specific use of 'to trend' in an absolute sense is new. If a Twitter topic 'trends', doesn't that imply quantity (more than direction) as well as being found on an increasing number of Twitter pages?

It looks to me as if there was a development: to trend (vb intrans, rarely absol., mostly obsolete in the sense of turning round/revolving) > trend (noun, prevailing direction, late 1884) > trend (verb absol.).

In other words, the original sense of the verb is now obsolete; the noun appeared in the 19th c.; and the current usage is very modern. Unless it has the sense of a topic that is going round and round ('doing the rounds').

Perhaps?
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Pabmusic
                • May 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                Unless it has the sense of a topic that is going round and round ('doing the rounds').

Perhaps?
                Like this post?

Comment

• kernelbogey
                  • Nov 2010

And of course now, thanks to Facebook, we have friend as a verb - I friended her - and its coined antithesis 'unfriended'.

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Actually, it did just occur to me that the Twitter meaning probably derives from 'trendy' as in fashioonable, following the prevailing trend.

Irritatingly, Pabmusic thought of it first ...

Unless it has the sense of a topic that is going round and round ('doing the rounds').
                    Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
                    Like this post?
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Pabmusic
                      • May 2011

Irritatingly, Pabmusic thought of it first ...
                      I didn't think of it first. I just had this irresistible impulse to type those words. What do they mean?

Comment

• mangerton
                        • Nov 2010

Y
                        Mangerton did suggest that it might be a mis-print for 'wended', but I'm not sure that I'm convinced by that idea. I'd need to check in another edition.
                        I must come clean and say that my tongue was rather in my cheek when I wrote that.

Similarly with "bended".

Comment

• Panjandrum

As I said up-thread () I recently found 'trended' in Haggard's King Solomon's Mines (pub. c. 1895) - "the road trended to the left".
                          You've got yourself a duff copy there Candyfloss, old chum - perhaps a version adapted for kids? The text (from start of Ch VIII; "We Enter Kukuanaland") in the magisterial Penguin edition is: "All that afternoon we travelled on along the magnificent roadway, which headed (sic) steadily in a north-westerly direction."

Comment

• vinteuil
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post
                            You've got yourself a duff copy there Candyfloss, old chum - perhaps a version adapted for kids? The text (from start of Ch VIII; "We Enter Kukuanaland") in the magisterial Penguin edition is: "All that afternoon we travelled on along the magnificent roadway, which headed (sic) steadily in a north-westerly direction."

... hmmm. My copy has -

"All that afternoon we travelled along the magnificent roadway, which trended steadily in a north-westerly direction. Infadoos and Scragga walked with us, but their followers marched about one hundred paces ahead.

"Infadoos," I said at length, "who made this road?" .... "

And on the principle of lectio difficilior, I wd suggest it more likely that 'trended' was altered to 'headed' rather than the other way about...

Last edited by vinteuil; 13-06-12, 19:45.

Comment

• amateur51

We've all heard of a King penguin and an Emperor penguin but ... surely not

Comment

• Flosshilde
                                • Nov 2010

As I borrowed it from the library (you don't think I'd buy stuff like that, do you ?) I can't check the publisher or the edition.

Comment

Working...
                                X