X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LMcD
    • Sep 2017

According to the Uxbridge Dictionary, 'bloviation' is the deployment of an array of very powerful bellows to help fully laden passenger planes to take off.

Comment

• oddoneout
      • Nov 2015

Seen this morning on the back of a white van "Police follow this vehicle". I don't know if that is an order or statement of fact but either way there was no police presence.
      I assume that it means there is some form of tracking in operation.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
        "Police follow this vehicle". I don't know if that is an order or statement of fact
        On the lines of Jonathan Miller's: Gentlemen lift the seat (Beyond the Fringe).
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• EnemyoftheStoat
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          On the lines of Jonathan Miller's: Gentlemen lift the seat (Beyond the Fringe).
          Or that optimistic "Photographs Do Not Bend" on the exterior of an envelope. (With "Oh Yes They Do" handwritten along the fold.)

Comment

• oddoneout
            • Nov 2015

"Infected Eye Drops". Although I did need to buy eye drops I decided against these...

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

"Infected Eye Drops". Although I did need to buy eye drops I decided against these...

There is a very annoying shortage of contact lens solutions that has rumbled on for some months now, due to a technical product recall.
              Down to my last bottle.
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Similarly RECYCLED TOILET ROLLS above a supermarket aisle some years ago.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                  • Apr 2007

Spotted this last night while cooking the supper. On a large packet of oven chips:

VEGAN & GLUTEN FREE

What a relief: never have liked the taste of vegans
                  I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• oddoneout
                    • Nov 2015

The sign on the verge said "Bus stop suspended". I looked around but couldn't see where; the metal plate was still attached to the lamppost at right angles as normal, and the buses were still letting passengers off.
                    What was wrong with "moved" or " relocated"?

Comment

• LMcD
                      • Sep 2017

The sign on the verge said "Bus stop suspended". I looked around but couldn't see where; the metal plate was still attached to the lamppost at right angles as normal, and the buses were still letting passengers off.
                      What was wrong with "moved" or " relocated"?
                      'Moved' or 'relocated' might suggest a permanent repositioning. Passengers shouldn't have been allowed to debus there, but First Group Norfolk and Suffolk drivers are a law unto themselves!

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                        'Moved' or 'relocated' might suggest a permanent repositioning. Passengers shouldn't have been allowed to debus there, but First Group Norfolk and Suffolk drivers are a law unto themselves!
                        Or the crew that goes around affixing and removing such signage may have been behind in their work and the drivers may have been advised the serve the stop as usual. Such occurred even before the pandemic.

Comment

• oddoneout
                          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                          Add "temporarily" then. In fact it was simply a two day event to enable access to a main drain connection opposite the bus stop so it was just a move to a few yards down the road. My comment about letting passengers off was because not only was the bus stop itself not suspended (as in dangling) but neither was the service(getting off the bus), which might have been another interpretation of the notice, it was just moved a short distance.
                          As it happens I was chatting to a neighbour yesterday who uses that stop as it's only a couple of minutes walk from her house and she has mobility problems, and at first she thought it had been taken away when she saw the sign. She was relieved to see the other sign on the verge a short distance away indicating the temporary position.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Add "temporarily" then. In fact it was simply a two day event to enable access to a main drain connection opposite the bus stop so it was just a move to a few yards down the road. My comment about letting passengers off was because not only was the bus stop itself not suspended (as in dangling) but neither was the service(getting off the bus), which might have been another interpretation of the notice, it was just moved a short distance.
                            As it happens I was chatting to a neighbour yesterday who uses that stop as it's only a couple of minutes walk from her house and she has mobility problems, and at first she thought it had been taken away when she saw the sign. She was relieved to see the other sign on the verge a short distance away indicating the temporary position.
                            My father's favourite roadside notice was, NEW LAID EGGS DRIVE UP HERE. His second favourite was SLOW CHILDREN CROSSING: he turned to my mother and commented, "You now know we've arrived in Yorkshire!"

Comment

• LMcD
                              • Sep 2017

There have been instances locally of services on some routes not stopping at a suspended stop and others dropping off and picking up passengers as normal.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                                My father's favourite roadside notice was, NEW LAID EGGS DRIVE UP HERE. His second favourite was SLOW CHILDREN CROSSING: he turned to my mother and commented, "You now know we've arrived in Yorkshire!"
                                Signs round here (happen, Yorkshire): Warning. Free range children!

Comment

Working...
                                X