• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AuntDaisy
    Host
    • Jun 2018

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    I thought it might have been one of those new-fangled Council e-scooters knocking people down all over the place in Bristol. I hadn't also caught up with the fact that HF was now on Le P'tit Déjeuner.

(Haven't discovered what replaces Flashplayer if you want to view some of these BBC vid clips: I just get a blank window with a message telling me to push off.)
    Is HF a positive Breakfast move? I might give it a try to see. Can we say au reservoir to Croissant Corner?

I have a horrible feeling that those old videos have gone the way of the ancient RealAudio video & audio clips...
    Technology changes and the BBC must be at the forefront! (I still have a functioning BBC micro and much prefer older tech.)

Comment

• LMcD
      • Sep 2017

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
      Is HF a positive Breakfast move? I might give it a try to see. Can we say au reservoir to Croissant Corner?

I have a horrible feeling that those old videos have gone the way of the ancient RealAudio video & audio clips...
      Technology changes and the BBC must be at the forefront! (I still have a functioning BBC micro and much prefer older tech.)
      It certainly is in this household, although we miss Georgia!

Comment

• AuntDaisy
        Host
        • Jun 2018

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
        It certainly is in this household, although we miss Georgia!
        To make up for it, she tweeted this... I like Chris Barrett's reply "From the pine nut forests of Finland."

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

To make up for it, she tweeted this... I like Chris Barrett's reply "From the pine nut forests of Finland."

I like the idea that it was a 'genuine' mistake rather than a … what?

I still hold to the view that a good presenter doesn't make a programme, though a poor one can destroy it. The morning programme, ever since I can remember, has always been the most relaxed, least 'demanding', not requiring 100% attentiveness. But Breakfast has gone too far in catering for casual listening in terms of content, and no presenter will put that right, however knowledgeable. Roger Wright once said that listeners should realise that Radio 3 was (his words) "just another radio station". It wasn't, but it is now.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• oddoneout
            • Nov 2015

I'm glad I'll never have to say his name to an audience as it's always writ large in my idiot brain as Sarastro.
            Hannah makes my days better as she always sounds as if she is smiling (not to be confused with relentlessly upbeat etc) - delightful company, and I've enjoyed her music choices.

Comment

• LMcD
              • Sep 2017

I like the idea that it was a 'genuine' mistake rather than a … what?

I still hold to the view that a good presenter doesn't make a programme, though a poor one can destroy it. The morning programme, ever since I can remember, has always been the most relaxed, least 'demanding', not requiring 100% attentiveness. But Breakfast has gone too far in catering for casual listening in terms of content, and no presenter will put that right, however knowledgeable. Roger Wright once said that listeners should realise that Radio 3 was (his words) "just another radio station". It wasn't, but it is now.
              So Mr Wright was right, then!

Comment

• LMcD
                • Sep 2017

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                I'm glad I'll never have to say his name to an audience as it's always writ large in my idiot brain as Sarastro.
                Hannah makes my days better as she always sounds as if she is smiling (not to be confused with relentlessly upbeat etc) - delightful company, and I've enjoyed her music choices.

One could also mention the welcome absence of excessively excitable, gushing schoolgirl enthusiasm.
                (I hope nobody thinks I'm 'sounding off' .... )

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                  So Mr Wright was right, then!
                  Funnily enough, the present controller rather winced when I told him that. But he wasn't officially a BBC employee then
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Funnily enough, the present controller rather winced when I told him that. But he wasn't officially a BBC employee then
                    The fat hits: a spoonerism I've just thought up.

Comment

• LMcD
                      • Sep 2017

It's ironic, in a way - you wait ages, hoping against hope that Mr (W)Right will come along. and then, when he does ......

Comment

• Andrew
                        • Jan 2020

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
                        I'm sure you know that there has never (ever, ever) been a genuine rule of English grammar that forbids a split infinitive - just grammarians who wanted English to behave like Latin, and those who had the 'rule' drummed into them at school.
                        You're right! The eponymous Charlie Phelps was also my Latin teacher which might explain things......
                        Major Denis Bloodnok, Indian Army (RTD) Coward and Bar, currently residing in Barnet, Hertfordshire!

Comment

• vinteuil
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Andrew View Post
                          You're right! The eponymous Charlie Phelps was also my Latin teacher which might explain things......
                          ... in what way was he eponymous?

Comment

• Andrew
                            • Jan 2020

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                            ... in what way was he eponymous?

Sorry, you're correct! I meant to emphasise his previous named appearance in this thread, although I appreciate that's not the correct use of the word "eponymous"
                            Major Denis Bloodnok, Indian Army (RTD) Coward and Bar, currently residing in Barnet, Hertfordshire!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Andrew View Post
                              Sorry, you're correct! I meant to emphasise his previous named appearance in this thread, although I appreciate that's not the correct use of the word "eponymous"
                              You can say that again...

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

Newsletter from the Times this morning had me scanning the follow-up to see whether it meant what I thought it meant, or the opposite (it meant the opposite):

ANALYSIS: Doubtful ministers would dispense with masks today.

Comment

Working...
                                X