X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cat
    • May 2019

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
    Nevertheless, it still grates on some of us when words have their meanings forcibly changed through misuse and/or ignorance. Subtlety and nuance are thereby the losers and our language becomes immeasurably the poorer,
    Decimate presumably gained widespread usage because it fulfilled a need. What other single word means "to reduce by a great number"? How often do people need a single word to say "reduce by a great number", and how often do they need a single word to say "reduce by a tenth"?

Comment

• gurnemanz
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cat View Post
      Decimate presumably gained widespread usage because it fulfilled a need. What other single word means "to reduce by a great number"? How often do people need a single word to say "reduce by a great number", and how often do they need a single word to say "reduce by a tenth"?
      Agree. The meaning of words is expanded via figurative usage to fill a gap, as you say. This is evolution and enrichment of the language not misuse. Knowledge of the original meaning is an insight that can add vividness to the new extended meaning.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by cat View Post
        I agree with that. It's extraordinary when I think about it that I couldn't/can't think of another single word meaning 'to reduce by a significant number'. This isn't quite my initial - somewhat pedantic - point about the use of the word to mean the destruction of a single item (a life), which takes the meaning a stage further. In that case, however, I think there would be alternatives: ruin, destroy …
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
          Agree. The meaning of words is expanded via figurative usage to fill a gap, as you say. This is evolution and enrichment of the language not misuse. Knowledge of the original meaning is an insight that can add vividness to the new extended meaning.

That's my nostrum for the day, or even for the week...

Comment

• kernelbogey
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            I agree with that. It's extraordinary when I think about it that I couldn't/can't think of another single word meaning 'to reduce by a significant number'. This isn't quite my initial - somewhat pedantic - point about the use of the word to mean the destruction of a single item (a life), which takes the meaning a stage further. In that case, however, I think there would be alternatives: ruin, destroy …
            Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
            Nonetheless, I would prefer this usage of the neologism of 'decimate' to be decimated.

Comment

• Sir Velo
              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
              Nonetheless, I would prefer this usage of the neologism of 'decimate' to be decimated.
              What, only reduced by a tenth?

Comment

• kernelbogey
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                What, only reduced by a tenth?
                I think the Romans proved that you can do it more than once....

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                  Host
                  • Jun 2018

Is there a(n) haitch in UNHCR? Just been listening to Today...

As a Northerner, bath & aunt cause fun & occasional comment from nearest & dearest.

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
                    Is there a(n) haitch in UNHCR? Just been listening to Today...

As a Northerner, bath & aunt cause fun & occasional comment from nearest & dearest.
                    'Course there's no haitch:

The pronunciation of common words has changed drastically over time. And, as the British Library begins a quest to record people's articulations, it seems that differences in how we say words could be influenced by age.
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                      Host
                      • Jun 2018

I enjoyed that article, thanks ff.

Reminders of BBC announcers in dinner-jackets &/or gowns - Halcyon days? Roll-on Wilfred Pickles.

Talking of Northerners, Hannah French had a lovely Bloomsday photo on Twitter

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

I enjoyed that article, thanks ff.
                        Pity the video doesn't seem to be working - I enjoyed hearing the members of the public with strong views disagreeing with each other.

Talking of Northerners, Hannah French had a lovely Bloomsday photo on Twitter
                        Just caught up with what you're supposed to do on Bloomsday. Had passed me by.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                          Host
                          • Jun 2018

Pity the video doesn't seem to be working - I enjoyed hearing the members of the public with strong views disagreeing with each other.

Just caught up with what you're supposed to do on Bloomsday. Had passed me by.
                          ... me too (for both of you comments).

I also enjoyed her gentle reply to a comment about "No bicycle park at BH" - "it’s actually my mobility scooter but it does look bike-ish there!"

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

... me too (for both of you comments).

I also enjoyed her gentle reply to a comment about "No bicycle park at BH" - "it’s actually my mobility scooter but it does look bike-ish there!"
                            I thought it might have been one of those new-fangled Council e-scooters knocking people down all over the place in Bristol. I hadn't also caught up with the fact that HF was now on Le P'tit Déjeuner.

(Haven't discovered what replaces Flashplayer if you want to view some of these BBC vid clips: I just get a blank window with a message telling me to push off.)
                            Last edited by french frank; 18-06-21, 13:31.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                              • Nov 2010

I thought it might have been one of those new-fangled Council e-scooters knocking people down all over the place in Bristol. I hadn't also caught up with the fact that HF was now on Le P'tit Déjeuner.
                              "it’s actually my mobility scooter but it does look bike-ish there!"
                              She made a programme about her disability which was very moving. She chose to give up performance because of her disability; and to focus on broadcasting, writing and lecturing etc.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                                Host
                                • Jun 2018

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                                She made a programme about her disability which was very moving. She chose to give up performance because of her disability; and to focus on broadcasting, writing and lecturing etc.
                                Yes.
                                "The Silence of My Pain" is still available on SOUNDS.
                                The accompanying Early Music Show "How Pleasing the Pain Is" was excellent - I loved her selection of music.

Comment

Working...
                                X