X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
    Not sad, but just not your thing? Although I agree the flower arrangements can be grim still far far preferable to the animal equivalents I would suggest, with all their attendant sidelining of the animals' wellbeing during the process of breeding to show standards.
    How do you know plants don't have feelings? The POW must think so if he talks to them! That's the Prince of Wales by the way, not prisoner of war.

I once remonstrated with a vegetarian, who had been castigating me for being a meat-eater, that if one listened closely one could hear carrots scream when they were being sliced up. "Really?" she replied. Then I became a vegetarian and lost my sense of humour too.

Needless to say, we are in agreement here.

Comment

• Pulcinella
      Host
      • Feb 2014

I know that, partly because I lived in Canada for a while, my spelling has a certain mid-Atlantic aspect to it.
      I tend to be one of those people for whom this would apply:

My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places.

A A Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
      But I'm not sure that I would go as far as Oliver Kamm suggests in his Times 2 article on Tuesday 13 April:

Smugness is unappealing, and I acquired it early in life. The reason was that I knew how to spell. Well into adulthood I believed there was something virtuous i

What do others think?
      Is it not worth bothering, and should we simply accept that spelling will evolve in the same way as (use of) language in general?
      Who will curate all the variants though?

PS: I disagree with his comment about 'earned' near the end. I certainly don't pronounce it with a 't' sound. Maybe it was just a bad choice, as I understand his general point.

Comment

• gurnemanz
        • Nov 2010

I am generally quite liberal (small l) but am definitely in favour of having and enforcing standard spelling, with variants not permitted. Yes, I was a red-pen-wielding schoolmaster. I have heard that red pens are now politically incorrect - considered confrontational and threatening (no comment). However, as language is for ever going to be in a transitory state there will always be some dubious variant cases: earned/earnt
        learned/learnt, burned/burnt etc.

Comment

• LMcD
          • Sep 2017

BBC News reports that Hull University will no longer mark students down on the grounds of poor spelling and grammar as this is deemed 'elitist'. How long, I wonder, before first-class degrees are awarded if only a certain proportion of answers are incorrect or arguments are badly presented or the result of plagiarism?

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
            BBC News reports that Hull University will no longer mark students down on the grounds of poor spelling and grammar as this is deemed 'elitist'. How long, I wonder, before first-class degrees are awarded if only a certain proportion of answers are incorrect or arguments are badly presented or the result of plagiarism?
            That is simply not comparing like with like. C-.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

And in other news: The Guardian reports, in connection with the cliff fall on the Jurassic Coast, that: "much of Kent and Sussex experienced a rise in falls."
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• LMcD
                • Sep 2017

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                And in other news: The Guardian reports, in connection with the cliff fall on the Jurassic Coast, that: "much of Kent and Sussex experienced a rise in falls."
                Things don't seem to have improved much since General MacArthur flew back to front.

Comment

• cloughie
                  • Dec 2011

Cue the music from the Shadows:

Comment

• oddoneout
                    • Nov 2015

Sadly may not be long before we see "paypackets show fall in rises"?

Comment

• Pulcinella
                      Host
                      • Feb 2014

In this sad news report, is the use of the word multiple a typically American one, I wonder.

At least eight people have been shot dead at a FedEx facility in Indianapolis and the suspected gunman has killed himself, police say.

Multiple other people were injured and went to local hospitals, a police spokesperson, Genae Cook, said at an early morning news conference on Friday.
                      What's wrong with many or several?
                      I would use multiple in a phrase such as 'sustained multiple injuries', but multiple people?

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                        In this sad news report, is the use of the word multiple a typically American one, I wonder.

What's wrong with many or several?
                        I would use multiple in a phrase such as 'sustained multiple injuries', but multiple people?
                        Puts me in mind of conjoined twins.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                          Host
                          • Feb 2014

To show the usefulness of (or need for) the Oxford comma:

There will be 52 budget recipes, with online tutorials, including chicken satay stir fry, chicken pie and broccoli and cauliflower cheese, with Mr Kerridge showing the Manchester United player how to cook.

(In an article about Marcus Rashford's budget cookery, on the BBC News website.)

So, is that
                          (i) (a) chicken pie and broccoli and (b) cauliflower cheese
                          (ii) (a) chicken pie and (b) broccoli and cauliflower cheese

I suspect that the answer is (i)!
                          Good luck to them trying to get kids to eat broccoli though. It's one thing that you can't hide in a glass of milk.

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                            To show the usefulness of (or need for) the Oxford comma:

There will be 52 budget recipes, with online tutorials, including chicken satay stir fry, chicken pie and broccoli and cauliflower cheese, with Mr Kerridge showing the Manchester United player how to cook.

(In an article about Marcus Rashford's budget cookery, on the BBC News website.)

So, is that
                            (i) (a) chicken pie and broccoli and (b) cauliflower cheese
                            (ii) (a) chicken pie and (b) broccoli and cauliflower cheese

I suspect that the answer is (i)!
                            Good luck to them trying to get kids to eat broccoli though. It's one thing that you can't hide in a glass of milk.
                            Like in maths when combining adding and multiply it requires brackets.
                            ... and finally milk’s so boring!

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Somewhat baffled (but suspect I'm missing something that is common knowledge): 'Twelve of Britain's most talented sewers compete to win.'

It reminded me of "Lord Redesdale ("Uncle Matthew" in Love in a Cold Climate), celebrated for his dislike of foreigners and his daughters' friends, disparaged collectively as "sewers."
                              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Padraig
                                • Feb 2013

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                                Cue the music from the Shadows:

https://youtu.be/g9SSw6o3sOY
                                Therein lies a tale untold.

Comment

Working...
                                X