• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pulcinella
    Host
    • Feb 2014

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
    The Wall Street Journal in an editorial urged the resignation of the President, saying “It would give Mr Trump agency, a la Richard Nixon, over his own fate,”

This a la jumped out at me, Nixon being male. So I wonder, my knowledge of French being unequal to the question, whether you could write that in the original language. If so, has a word been historically elided with usage, such a la maniere de Richard Nixon?

(Sorry can't do accents.)
    Chambers gives it as a contraction of à la mode de.

PS: ff got in first!

Comment

• kernelbogey
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
      Chambers gives it as a contraction of à la mode de.

PS: ff got in first!
      Thanks, both! Thought I'd get the answer here!

Comment

• LezLee
        • Apr 2019

The Wall Street Journal in an editorial urged the resignation of the President, saying “It would give Mr Trump agency, a la Richard Nixon, over his own fate,”

This a la jumped out at me, Nixon being male. So I wonder, my knowledge of French being unequal to the question, whether you could write that in the original language. If so, has a word been historically elided with usage, such a la maniere de Richard Nixon?

(Sorry can't do accents.)
        It annoys me and I always think if you're referring to a male it should be the male version - 'au'. I've never seen or heard 'au' in this context though, it sounds wrong and really weird.

Comment

• kernelbogey
          • Nov 2010

I may be mistaken - but I think I've heard 'au Jeremy Corbin'.

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

I may be mistaken - but I think I've heard 'au Jeremy Corbin'.
            You did indeed mishear. It was eau Jeremy Corbyn.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Precociousness? Or precocity, as said by Donald Macleod just new in reference to the young Amy Beach's musical talents?

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                Precociousness? Or precocity, as said by Donald Macleod just new in reference to the young Amy Beach's musical talents?
                WikiDiff says: precociousness is the condition of being precocious; while precocity is the state of being precocious.

I merely quote, but precociousness seems the more common.

And here's the difference between state and condition https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-di...-and-condition
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                  WikiDiff says: precociousness is the condition of being precocious; while precocity is the state of being precocious.

I merely quote, but precociousness seems the more common.

And here's the difference between state and condition https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-di...-and-condition
                  As elucidated there, the difference between the two seems to be a question of context, usage and collocation rather than any clearly distinguishable semantic criteria.

Main difference: state - one syllable, condition - three syllables.

Comment

• oddoneout
                    • Nov 2015

Precarity seems to be increasingly favoured over precariousness, and I wonder if it is partly to do with being less cumbersome to say and write; the same could be said to apply to 'precocity' mentioned above?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

A question on this morning's Jeremy Vine Show (CH 5):

"What is the fastest anyone has swam across the English Chanel?"

SWUM, surely?

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

SWUM, surely?
                        I swim, I have swum, I swam

On 'precarity', if it has become more common does that suggest it's especially used as a sociological term now: meaning economic precariousness or insecurity, on the edge of economic disaster, unable to pay bills, debt &c.? Precariousness for a physically dangerous position (on a cliff edge) or more generally risking discovery in some way.
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

OK, thanks! I was wondering if I was getting mixed up with SWING, SWUNG, etc.

On 'precarity', if it has become more common does that suggest it's especially used as a sociological term now: meaning economic precariousness or insecurity, on the edge of economic disaster, unable to pay bills, debt &c.? Precariousness for a physically dangerous position (on a cliff edge) or more generally risking discovery in some way.
                          That's useful and sounds sensible to me, thanks again!

Comment

• oddoneout
                            • Nov 2015

SWUM, surely?
                            Would that be Cocoa rather than Coco?

Comment

• oddoneout
                              • Nov 2015

Yes, economic precarity, crops up in articles about the low-waged and related matters.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                                Would that be Cocoa rather than Coco?
                                That would depend on the pronunciation of the questioner on the show, no? I'm guessing that the clue is in the 'swam' .

Comment

Working...
                                X