X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • subcontrabass
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    I noticed the Guardian is today writing about $2,000 checks (why) - and no option to comment on this.
    It is in a column addressed to the US readership of the Guardian.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
      It is in a column addressed to the US readership of the Guardian.
      Oh, I didn't know that. I just clicked on the link in my newsletter.

[Probably irrelevant then, but I was going to point out that most publications have their own (sometimes idiosyncratic) house style. When I was a sub, our house style included protestor and Roumania. If the reporter had written protester and Romania we dutifully altered it. No one dared ask why we were out of step with the majority].
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• oddoneout
        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
        My was entirely directed at the notion of the PM as having good speaking skills!

I hoped that was the case but when I saw your post I realised what I had done, and the pot/kettle potential!

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
          But wouldn't you expect them to write, for example, Department of Defense
          Much water seems to have passed under the bridge but…

No, because it's a name. Nor would I expect them to refer to the IRS as HMRC, or their Secretary of State to be called the Foreign Secretary. I must get a British version of the NYT because the stories are focused on the UK/Europe, but they don't adopt British spelling conventions - nor do I expect them to (I see EU programs, somber, defense, theaters in today's UK news stories about Brexit and coronavirus).

BUT - it is not obligatory to be a pedant
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• kernelbogey
            • Nov 2010

From today's Guardian:
            Allen has and is doing it all
            It's become quite a common error to omit the full form of the verb appropriate to the earlier position:
            I.e.: Allen has done, and is doing, it all.
            This is more than mere pedantry, IMV, since no one would claim 'Allen has doing it all' would be correct.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

From today's Guardian:
              It's become quite a common error to omit the full form of the verb appropriate to the earlier position:
              This is more than mere pedantry, IMV, since no one would claim 'Allen has doing it all' would be correct.
              Indeed - it sets a terrible example, one which I have probably myself followed on occasion, admittedly.

This morning, on a TV ad previously not seen, we had an actress telling us, "I am a sustainable fashion model". No doubt she is high maintenance, as well!

Comment

• Pulcinella
                Host
                • Feb 2014

From today's Guardian:
                Agreed!
                I read it as: Allen has it all (whatever 'it' is!) and is doing it all.
                Rather like having your cake and eating it.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                  Much water seems to have passed under the bridge but…

No, because it's a name. Nor would I expect them to refer to the IRS as HMRC, or their Secretary of State to be called the Foreign Secretary. I must get a British version of the NYT because the stories are focused on the UK/Europe, but they don't adopt British spelling conventions - nor do I expect them to (I see EU programs, somber, defense, theaters in today's UK news stories about Brexit and coronavirus).

BUT - it is not obligatory to be a pedant
                  I'm always intrigued by the National Geographic, an American magazine that often uses British spellings. I wonder whether they are unusually tactful, in that they blazon words like "travellers" (rather than "travelers") on the front cover, by publishing a special edition for the non-US market. It seems unlikely.

Comment

• oddoneout
                    • Nov 2015

From today's Guardian:
                    But who bothers these days to 'deconstruct' to check? It takes time and I think that to many people the correct form sounds clumsy or laboured. The irony is that in a good few cases the correct form adds emphasis which would be appropriate, for instance when refuting an accusation of lack of effort.
                    Far too much of what I read now gives the impression of having been the first draft, and checking that spellings are contextually correct (homonyms) or that the right word is being used when writing up phonetic spellings from interview notes about unfamiliar subjects, seems to have been abandoned some time ago.

Comment

• Wychwood
                      • Aug 2017

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                      But who bothers these days to 'deconstruct' to check? It takes time and I think that to many people the correct form sounds clumsy or laboured. The irony is that in a good few cases the correct form adds emphasis which would be appropriate, for instance when refuting an accusation of lack of effort.
                      Far too much of what I read now gives the impression of having been the first draft, and checking that spellings are contextually correct (homonyms) or that the right word is being used when writing up phonetic spellings from interview notes about unfamiliar subjects, seems to have been abandoned some time ago.
                      "Refuting" -- a frequently misused word, imv

Comment

• alycidon
                        • Feb 2013

From today's Guardian:
                        Agreed. You are not being pedantic. It is an awful solecism.
                        Money can't buy you happiness............but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery - Spike Milligan

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                          I wonder whether they are unusually tactful, in that they blazon words like "travellers" (rather than "travelers") on the front cover, by publishing a special edition for the non-US market. It seems unlikely.
                          Save 51% on National Geographic Traveller UK Magazine Subscription at isubscribe - No. 1 in the UK for discounted magazine subscriptions.

Comment

• subcontrabass
                            • Nov 2010

As distinct from: https://www.nationalgeographic.com/t...x/trindex.html

Comment

• kernelbogey
                              • Nov 2010

The Wall Street Journal in an editorial urged the resignation of the President, saying “It would give Mr Trump agency, a la Richard Nixon, over his own fate,”

This a la jumped out at me, Nixon being male. So I wonder, my knowledge of French being unequal to the question, whether you could write that in the original language. If so, has a word been historically elided with usage, such a la maniere de Richard Nixon?

(Sorry can't do accents.)

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

The Wall Street Journal in an editorial urged the resignation of the President, saying “It would give Mr Trump agency, a la Richard Nixon, over his own fate,”

This a la jumped out at me, Nixon being male. So I wonder, my knowledge of French being unequal to the question, whether you could write that in the original language. If so, has a word been historically elided with usage, such a la maniere de Richard Nixon?

(Sorry can't do accents.)
                                I always took it as à la mode de, but certainly elliptical.

Comment

Working...
                                X