• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oddoneout
    • Nov 2015

it is all of our duty to stay safe
    from someone who is supposedly possesses good speaking skills
    (The PM addressing the nation yesterday)

Comment

• Pulcinella
      Host
      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
      Indeed: I hope I've got a bit of duty left over to do other things with.

Comment

• kernelbogey
        • Nov 2010

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

I noticed the Guardian is today writing about $2,000 checks (why) - and no option to comment on this.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Pulcinella
            Host
            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            I noticed the Guardian is today writing about $2,000 checks (why) - and no option to comment on this.
            Because they're American, and that's the spelling they use?

Comment

• kernelbogey
              • Nov 2010

Because the Graun now has a substantial staff in the US, mostly, I guess, US citizens, the management seems to have accepted that their filings will use US spellings. While it grates on me slightly I have to accept that the alternative would involve a huge amount of subbing. On balance, the paper's excellent coverage of US politics is IMVHO worth the occasional grating. (And occasionally, they write some US phrase that is incomprehensible to me, though examples elude me atm.)

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                The checks are American? Or Guardian writers? BBC says they're cheques.

kb has replied to the query. :-)

As to the subbing - I was reading the digital copy, so the print copy may be different as it will have been subbed (properly).
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• oddoneout
                  • Nov 2015

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                  Oh Gawd - didn't check did I after changing my mind about what I was writing? Ah well.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                    Host
                    • Feb 2014

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                    Because the Graun now has a substantial staff in the US, mostly, I guess, US citizens, the management seems to have accepted that their filings will use US spellings. While it grates on me slightly I have to accept that the alternative would involve a huge amount of subbing. On balance, the paper's excellent coverage of US politics is IMVHO worth the occasional grating. (And occasionally, they write some US phrase that is incomprehensible to me, though examples elude me atm.)
                    But wouldn't you expect them to write, for example, Department of Defense, since that is what they have over there? Likewise, they write (in both senses!) checks; doesn't grate with me (but then I lived in Canada for six years, so my spelling has now become somewhat mid-Atlantic!).

Comment

• kernelbogey
                      • Nov 2010

Oh Gawd - didn't check did I after changing my mind about what I was writing? Ah well.
                      My was entirely directed at the notion of the PM as having good speaking skills!

Comment

• Pulcinella
                        Host
                        • Feb 2014

The checks are American? Or Guardian writers? BBC says they're cheques.

kb has replied to the query. :-)

As to the subbing - I was reading the digital copy, so the print copy may be different as it will have been subbed (properly).
                        See my follow-up; yes, the checks are American. The writers may well be too, but that's beside the point (imho!).

PS: They play checkers not chequers, too, I suspect.
                        Last edited by Pulcinella; 31-12-20, 12:31. Reason: PS added.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                          • Nov 2010

But wouldn't you expect them to write, for example, Department of Defense, since that is what they have over there? Likewise, they write (in both senses!) checks; doesn't grate with me (but then I lived in Canada for six years, so my spelling has now become somewhat mid-Atlantic!).
                          I shall now bring hawk-like observation to my reading of their US content!

Comment

• gurnemanz
                            • Nov 2010

I've not read the article in question so have no context but isn't FF's point that the Guardian is British and for clarity and consistency should adhere to British spelling? For Americans not only is the spelling different but also the semantics in that a "check" can also mean what we call a "bill".

The British dual spelling "cheque/check" variant seems to me to be preferable in that it is useful for making a distinction.

PS written before reading other subsequent posts
                            Last edited by gurnemanz; 31-12-20, 12:34. Reason: PS

Comment

• kernelbogey
                              • Nov 2010

FF, if you feel sufficiently strongly about this - if you want to double down on it - there is a Reader's Editor to whom you can comment.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                                Host
                                • Feb 2014

Maybe you need to switch to The Times:
                                President Trump’s call for pandemic relief payments to be raised from $600 to $2,000 appeared doomed after Republican senators refused to put it to a vote.Mr T

Comment

Working...
                                X