X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pulcinella
    Host
    • Feb 2014

Passengers are facing delays at Manchester Airport after an IT failure prevented many from checking-in at all three terminals.

(BBC Online News)

Forget the fact that checking in doesn't need hyphenating: I didn't realise that you might ever have to check in at all three terminals.

Comment

• oddoneout
      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
      Passengers are facing delays at Manchester Airport after an IT failure prevented many from checking-in at all three terminals.

(BBC Online News)

Forget the fact that checking in doesn't need hyphenating: I didn't realise that you might ever have to check in at all three terminals.
      No wonder there was an IT failure.

Comment

• oddoneout
        • Nov 2015

Home Office’s much maligned “hostile environment” policy
        This appears in an Observer article I've been reading on the Guardian website, and I'm struggling to see how 'much maligned' can be justified; it suggests the Home Office has not been carrying out orders to that effect. It would make more sense to describe the policy as malign in my opinion.

Link for article for context https://www.theguardian.com/politics...rough-sleepers

Comment

• LMcD
          • Sep 2017

A report on 'Today' this morning referred to 'campaigners in Northern Ireland advocating for reform' (?)

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
            A report on 'Today' this morning referred to 'campaigners in Northern Ireland advocating for reform' (?)
            Who made this report? If someone from the six counties, was it simply a local construction, much like the use of “to” by many Welsh people, as in “where’s the scissors to?”.

Comment

• gurnemanz
              • Nov 2010

Maybe the error stems from drawing a false parallel with the noun + preposition construction, "an advocate for reform" which is acceptable usage.

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

... my OED has quotes using the verbal form 'advocate for' from 1659, 1661, 1872.

Comment

• Zucchini
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                  ... my OED has quotes using the verbal form 'advocate for' from 1659, 1661, 1872.
                  So within the lifetime of many Telegraph readers ...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                    Who made this report? If someone from the six counties, was it simply a local construction, much like the use of “to” by many Welsh people, as in “where’s the scissors to?”.
                    Also Bristolians, I'd just like to add - from the pre-M4 era - as in, "London? Wurr's that to?"

Comment

• LMcD
                      • Sep 2017

The correct pronunciation of the well-known orchestra based in Zurich is, I believe, TONEHALLUH. At the end of tonight's concert, a Radio 3 presenter who can't pronounce it properly handed over to a colleague in the studio who can - I guess 50% is a start!

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

The correct pronunciation of the well-known orchestra based in Zurich is, I believe, TONEHALLUH. At the end of tonight's concert, a Radio 3 presenter who can't pronounce it properly handed over to a colleague in the studio who can - I guess 50% is a start!
                        Should that not be more like Tonn-halluh? Or around half way between?
                        Last edited by Bryn; 15-07-19, 21:51.

Comment

• LMcD
                          • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                          Should that not be more like Tonn-halluh? Or around half way between?
                          Well, I think you'd better ask the Countess in 'Capriccio', who poses the question 'Kunst oder Ton'?
                          I've just checked the pronunciation of 'Tonmeister', which comes out as 'Tonemicesta'

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

Well, I think you'd better ask the Countess in 'Capriccio', who poses the question 'Kunst oder Ton'?
                            I've just checked the pronunciation of 'Tonmeister', which comes out as 'Tonemicesta'
                            I think you will find the Swiss German pronunciation of the "Ton" syllable is neither that of the English "ton" or "tone". The closest I can think of is to rhyme with "on", rather than "own", though more something between the two. It's not helped by the fact that the only online example of pronouncing "Tonhalle-Orchester" is way off. There is, however, an example of the German pronunciation of Tonhalle which serves pretty well, https://forvo.com/word/tonhalle/

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                              Also Bristolians, I'd just like to add - from the pre-M4 era - as in, "London? Wurr's that to?"
                              The same in Cornwall.
                              I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• teamsaint
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                                And as far south and East as Westbury , Wilts.
                                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
                                X