X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sir Velo
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
    Pabs, you could calm yourself with a latte and a panini....
    A panini???

You're not one who asks for "paninis" I trust?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
      A panini???

You're not one who asks for "paninis" I trust?
      Unlikely - KB being too well-bread.

Comment

• LMcD
        • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        Unlikely - KB being too well-bread.
        Perhaps she had a strict Naany.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
          Perhaps she had a strict Naany.
          ...Unleavened, you mean...

Comment

• Pulcinella
            Host
            • Feb 2014

Tonight's Performance on 3 website puff: good to see that the intern knows the difference between its and it's (not!).

The finale to the Ulster Orchestra's 2018/19 Season featuring the American/Israeli pianist Inon Barnatan performing Mozart's Piano Concerto No. 20 in D minor. Concluding the concert, and their season, the orchestra perform Mahler's Symphony No. 5, written at the turn of the 20th Century around 10 years before the composer's death. The work is probably best known for it's 4th movement, a beautiful Adagietto scored for strings and harp. Conducted by the orchestra's Music Director- Rafael Payare

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
              I also react against "reaching a crescendo". It is a present participle, "growing" and as such refers to a process occurring over a period of time not to a point in time.
              If it were a present participle, you could not have 'a crescendo' which makes it a noun or verbal noun/gerund (in English). I believe it can be a noun in Italian: I find 'la sua carriera è stata un crescendo di successi'.

Is it tautological to speak of 'a gradual crescendo'? ('The gradual crescendo through the first movement is particularly exciting' The Times). In a very strict sense, even very fast crescendi are gradual.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                If it were a present participle, you could not have 'a crescendo' which makes it a noun or verbal noun/gerund (in English). I believe it can be a noun in Italian: I find 'la sua carriera è stata un crescendo di successi'.

Is it tautological to speak of 'a gradual crescendo'? ('The gradual crescendo through the first movement is particularly exciting' The Times). In a very strict sense, even very fast crescendo are gradual.
                Advanced pedantry! Not at all sure if I'm on safe ground here but I'll plough on. In referring to "present participle" I was only really thinking about the morphology of how the word is formed - verb stem + ending -endo. Presumably, when added as a marking to a music score "crescendo" is an adverb describing how the music should be played. In time by extension this marking has become also used as a noun derived from this adverb in order to refer to a specific instance of this musical effect. I'll shut up now.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                  Advanced pedantry! Not at all sure if I'm on safe ground here but I'll plough on. In referring to "present participle" I was only really thinking about the morphology of how the word is formed - verb stem + ending -endo. Presumably, when added as a marking to a music score "crescendo" is an adverb describing how the music should be played. In time by extension this marking has become also used as a noun derived from this adverb in order to refer to a specific instance of this musical effect. I'll shut up now.

Isn't crescendo from the gerund crescendum, with a present participle crescente from crescens/crescentem??

Still, it's getting late and I feel I'm reaching a rallentando here, so I'll shut up too!
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Pabmusic
                    • May 2011

Interestingly, the OED has 6 examples ("colloquial (orig. U.S.). The peak of an increase in volume, force, or intensity; a climax. Esp. in to reach a crescendo"), the first from Fitzgerald's Gatsby in 1925, up to the Economist in 1975. But none of these examples has a musical context.
                    And, of course, language develops through usage...

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
                      And, of course, language develops through usage...
                      Or misusage.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Still, it's getting late and I feel I'm reaching a rallentando here, so I'll shut up too!

Comment

• Pabmusic
                          • May 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                          Or misusage.

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                            Or misusage.
                            ...and some of the dubious words added to the dictionary in recent years provide examples of this.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

I must remember to take a cold shower, the next time I feel a crescendo coming on!

Comment

• Pulcinella
                                Host
                                • Feb 2014

Oliver Soden, in Michael Tippett, The Biography (page 112):

A number of university students, some local but most from Germany and Scandinavia, was recruited by Gardiner to join the miners,.....

Which particular (singular) number would that be?

A shame, as I'd been enjoying reading it up till then.

Comment

Working...
                                X