X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LMcD
    • Sep 2017

I've just emailed the editor of the Eastern Daily Press, wondering whether Greta would have made the same mistake.

Comment

• kernelbogey
      • Nov 2010

Responding to claims he was a Salvini supporter, Anello said: “For almost 20 years I have served both right and left governments indifferently.”

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
        Anello said: “For almost 20 years I have served both right and left governments indifferently.”
        So, no enthusiasm for these extremists? Trust a good moderate.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Here's one from this lunchtime's BBC4 news: "elecTORal". I would always say "eLECtoral", with the stress on the second syllable - it sounds less clumsy, somehow.

There was a lovely malapropism from Daily Depress reporter Carole Malone on this morning's Jeremy Vine show on CH5:

"Oxytoxin is the chemical in the brain that causes sexual arousal".

Comment

• Wychwood
            • Aug 2017

Surprised to hear Donald Macleod today in a repeated CotW (mis)using the phrase reaching a crescendo: "The row reaching a crescendo...in a fist-fight in church".

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

I noticed that!

Nails scraping down a blackboard, I can cope happily with ... but "reaching a crescendo"!!!???
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Pabmusic
                • May 2011

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                I noticed that!

Nails scraping down a blackboard, I can cope happily with ... but "reaching a crescendo"!!!???
                What's so bad is that it's the classic error in musical terminological usage.

Pffft!!

Comment

• kernelbogey
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post

Pffft!!
                  Pabs, you could calm yourself with a latte and a panini....

Comment

• Pabmusic
                    • May 2011

That's a good idea.

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post

Pffft!!
                      Interestingly, the OED has 6 examples ("colloquial (orig. U.S.). The peak of an increase in volume, force, or intensity; a climax. Esp. in to reach a crescendo"), the first from Fitzgerald's Gatsby in 1925, up to the Economist in 1975. But none of these examples has a musical context.
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Zucchini
                        • Nov 2010

The music can of course reach a point where a crescendo commences ...

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Zucchini View Post
                          The music can of course reach a point where a crescendo commences ...
                          Very logical, and if Donald Macleod had said: "The row reached a point where a crescendo commenced...in a fist-fight in church", there would be no outcry.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                            Interestingly, the OED has 6 examples ("colloquial (orig. U.S.). The peak of an increase in volume, force, or intensity; a climax. Esp. in to reach a crescendo"), the first from Fitzgerald's Gatsby in 1925, up to the Economist in 1975. But none of these examples has a musical context.
                            I also react against "reaching a crescendo". It is a present participle, "growing" and as such refers to a process occurring over a period of time not to a point in time. However, whether we like it or not, in modern usage it is very often encountered in the sense of the high point of a crescendo. So it is probably Canute-like to resist. Chambers describes this usage as "figurative":

1.An increase of loudness
                            2.A passage of increasing loudness
                            3.A high point, a climax (figurative)

Comment

• vinteuil
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                              I also react against "reaching a crescendo". It is a present participle, "growing" and as such refers to a process occurring over a period of time not to a point in time. However, whether we like it or not, in modern usage it is very often encountered in the sense of the high point of a crescendo. So it is probably Canute-like to resist. Chambers describes this usage as "figurative":

1.An increase of loudness
                              2.A passage of increasing loudness
                              3.A high point, a climax (figurative)
                              ... and of course 'climax' originally meant 'a ladder', and hence 'an ascending series' - rather than the much later usage as a 'culmination'

Comment

• gurnemanz
                                • Nov 2010

A fully paid-up pedant is bound to point out that "panini" is the plural of "panino". A panino might make a decent snack but one spaghetto would be a rather sparse meal.

Comment

Working...
                                X