X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kernelbogey
    • Nov 2010

Interestingly (to me) the German firm Kaercher - I think it's spelled with a+umlaut in Germany - which makes things like power sprays for your 'patio', in its tv ads has the name pronounced as 'kurcher', no doubt on the assumption that this is how it will be pronounced in this country.

Comment

• kernelbogey
      • Nov 2010

And in an item on the late Doris Day yesterday a BBC journalist pronounced Calamity Jane as Cal-a-mit-y. I wonder if she had not encountered the word before.

Comment

• gurnemanz
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
        Interestingly (to me) the German firm Kaercher - I think it's spelled with a+umlaut in Germany - which makes things like power sprays for your 'patio', in its tv ads has the name pronounced as 'kurcher', no doubt on the assumption that this is how it will be pronounced in this country.
        It's a family firm named after its founder, Alfred Kärcher. Pronunciation of "ä" is like English "e", as in Furtwängler, which is not difficult to get right. It's the authentic German "ch" which English speakers find harder. Authentic pronunciation here.

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

And in an item on the late Doris Day yesterday a BBC journalist pronounced Calamity Jane as Cal-a-mit-y. I wonder if she had not encountered the word before.
          Can't quite think what the emoticon should be for that
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Perhaps she is a bit of a Walter . . .

Comment

• vinteuil
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
              It's a family firm named after its founder, Alfred Kärcher. Pronunciation of "ä" is like English "e", as in Furtwängler, which is not difficult to get right. It's the authentic German "ch" which English speakers find harder. Authentic pronunciation here.
              ... there is, of course, a view that it is better not to introduce in to the flow of a discourse in English (for example) sounds that are not essentially found there. A nod in the direction of the original language, yes, but using sounds that are to be found in English. Too much striving to sound as if you are a native speaker of the original language can itself be off-putting. Why am I thinking of a certain Radio 3 speakerine?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Reigning Wimbledon Champion, Angelique Kerber, tends to get the same treatment - usually referred to as "curber"
                Scousers should get that pronunciation right, then!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Different areas of Germany pronounce "ch" sound differently - some pronouncing it as a soft "k" with the initial "k" not sounded, as it were, others closer to "sh".

Comment

• gurnemanz
                    • Nov 2010

There are some regional differences but the basic rule for "ch" in standard German is soft after front vowels, eg ich, frech. Hard after back vowels, eg Bach, Loch, Buch.

Comment

• oddoneout
                      • Nov 2015

" We listen to ... Greta Thunberg's perfect English with an expectation that her annunciation and vocabulary would be nothing other than spot-on". Unlike the writer of this article on the decline in UK pupils learning foreign languages.
                      Greta T may be considered blessed by some but I don't think that should extend to a future as the next Virgin Mary.

Comment

• LMcD
                        • Sep 2017

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                        " We listen to ... Greta Thunberg's perfect English with an expectation that her annunciation and vocabulary would be nothing other than spot-on". Unlike the writer of this article on the decline in UK pupils learning foreign languages.
                        Greta T may be considered blessed by some but I don't think that should extend to a future as the next Virgin Mary.

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Writer of the article? So no chance of mishearing enunciation?
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• LMcD
                            • Sep 2017

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                            Writer of the article? So no chance of mishearing enunciation?
                            People who are annoyed by her campaign might be more interested in her denunciation, I guess.

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                              Sorry, which article, and which writer?

Comment

• oddoneout
                                • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                                Sorry, which article, and which writer?

Comment

Working...
                                X