X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

The reason I ask is that I saw it used in an article in the Guardian today, describing splits in the cabinet.

Maybe a subtle , or not so subtle, way of emphasising the depth of , er, division ?
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Purchase "The Great Divide" on iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/great-divide-crash-cove-remix/id1144653284Stream "The Great Divide" on Spotify: http...
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Pabmusic
        • May 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
        When, using as a noun, would you use divide rather than division ?
        In British English it's generally a social description - the North-South divide. In American English it's also geographic, refering to river basins and mountain ranges. The OED gives it as late medieval.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
          • Apr 2007

Tiny Tim

Am I the only one to feel very let down by Simon Callow in his much-repeated current trail: "God bless us everyone"?

Or should this be on Pronunciation Watch?
          I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
            Am I the only one to feel very let down by Simon Callow in his much-repeated current trail: "God bless us everyone"?

Or should this be on Pronunciation Watch?
            Definitely on Pronunciation Watch, if I understand correctly what you're implying (not having heard it).
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              Definitely on Pronunciation Watch, if I understand correctly what you're implying (not having heard it).
              I felt this was the proper place because Callow seems to see no distinction in meaning between 'every one' and 'everyone', so Tiny Tim seems to be seeking the world's blessing on him and his household (with maybe a bit of help from God), rather than exhorting God directly.

Or is 'pedantry' restricted to written howlers, maybe a properly pedantic view?

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

... indeed Dickens even goes so far as to Capitalise :

'And so, as Tiny Tim observed, God bless Us, Every One!'

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                  • Apr 2007

Thanks vineuil!

With due deference to FF, maybe we need a new thread entitled "Misquotations, inc. mispronounced"?

Comment

• jean
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

I felt this was the proper place because Callow seems to see no distinction in meaning between 'every one' and 'everyone', so Tiny Tim seems to be seeking the world's blessing on him and his household (with maybe a bit of help from God), rather than exhorting God directly.
                    It's a grammar mistake, isn't it?

The every one is really in apposition to us, rather than beig invoked along with God as the author of the hoped-for blessing.

Perhaps the shift has come about because nobody believes God is likely to do anything any more?

Comment

• vinteuil
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post

Perhaps the shift has come about because nobody believes God is likely to do anything any more?
                      ... nice ambiguity - does the 'any more' qualify 'nobody believes' or 'God is likely to do anything'?

And did She do anything any time anyway?

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

I felt this was the proper place because Callow seems to see no distinction in meaning between 'every one' and 'everyone'
                        Yes, I will concede that point: meaning rather than pronunciation. I was not presuming to know what he meant
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by jean View Post
                          It's a grammar mistake, isn't it?
                          If you mean that Callow's mispronunciation is caused by his grammatical misreading, could be.

The every one is really in apposition to us, rather than being invoked along with God as the author of the hoped-for blessing.
                          Absolutely! (Though not of course ablative absolutely)

Comment

• Alain Maréchal
                            • Dec 2010

A board member recently wrote "this sprung to mind". Should it be "sprang"? I intend no criticism of the member who wrote it, but ask for my information.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Alain Maréchal View Post
                              A board member recently wrote "this sprung to mind". Should it be "sprang"? I intend no criticism of the member who wrote it, but ask for my information.
                              AM: I spotted that too, but then wondered if English had moved on since I learnt (learned?) it, and I hadn't been paying proper attention

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Alain Maréchal View Post
                                Yep, seems things are slipping! This from Wiktionary:
                                Usage notes[edit]

• The past-tense forms sprang and sprung are both well attested historically. In modern usage, sprang is comparatively formal (and more often considered correct), sprung comparatively informal. The past participle, however, is overwhelmingly sprung; sprang as a past participle is attested, but is no longer in standard use.

My emphasis!

Comment

Working...
                                X