• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jean View Post
    I don't know about the sceptics; that's how I explained it.
    Looking it up I saw that this derivation was 'hotly disputed' on the grounds that it doesn't account for the disappearance of the 'c'. Hmmph. No problem. Coming just before the d, it voices and then diminishes into a sort of glottal stop. Hui, hoy lose the d too, and oggi palatalises d + ĭ.

Checking Cassells, it gives the feminine as 'Esp.' a particular day or fixed date. Most of the examples suggest one single day/date, though Cicero uses it as an anniversary (but not having the quotation, I suppose even that could mean one particular birthday, rather than the recurring day).
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Ebagum, he's thrown the towel.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        Ebagum, he's thrown the towel.
        Who that then, Bryn?
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• jean
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

Looking for a winter coat, I came upon this:

The Gerard Darel brand was established in 1971 by founders Gerard and Daniele Darel. Championing a simple, chic and ultra-feminine aesthetic, Gerard Darel has embodied French elegance for over 40 years. From its first collection, the brand has continually displayed soft, dulcet tones and classic chic cuts at the core of its timeless and refined pieces.
          Strange...I always thought the sweetness implied by dulcet referred to sound rather than colour...

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Strange...I always thought the sweetness implied by dulcet referred to sound rather than colour...
            And since French doux/douce means soft anyway … and tones are … is this synesthesia?

I was wondering if you were commenting on this:

The government steps into a growing row over gender equality in the French language.

I'm with the grammarians, French grammatical masculine-feminine is not a question of gender. A table is not 'feminine', a picture is not 'masculine': they have no gender. Even if you say that, going back to Latin, female-denoting words tend to belong in one grammatical conjugation, male-denoting in another, even that isn't rigid, with some first conjugation nouns being masculine, for example, and 2nd declension considered feminine (trees).

In English it's a different matter as most words denote neither masculine nor feminine, and only a few words are occasionally 'assigned' a gender as in 'she' for a ship.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Chic, timeless, ultra-feminine....doesn't say much about whether their "pieces" would keep you warm and dry - but that's fashion for you

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post

I was wondering if you were commenting on this:

The government steps into a growing row over gender equality in the French language.

I'm with the grammarians, French grammatical masculine-feminine is not a question of gender. A table is not 'feminine', a picture is not 'masculine': they have no gender. Even if you say that, going back to Latin, female-denoting words tend to belong in one grammatical conjugation, male-denoting in another, even that isn't rigid, with some first conjugation nouns being masculine, for example, and 2nd declension considered feminine (trees).

... here is a slightly fuller discussion concerning this 'inclusive writing'

ANALYSE. Impossible à adapter à l’oral, illisible, reniant la langue française… Cette écriture suscite de vifs débats, avec leur lot de discours captieux et de contrevérités.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                  ... here is a slightly fuller discussion concerning this 'inclusive writing'
                  ANALYSE. Impossible à adapter à l’oral, illisible, reniant la langue française… Cette écriture suscite de vifs débats, avec leur lot de discours captieux et de contrevérités.
                  I thought it ironic a few years back, when some French friends were discussing the recent introduction of the form 'la professeure', that this went in entirely the opposite direction from in English where actresses became actors. Yet we were inconsistent in insisting that the masculine singular personal pronouns and adjectives should not be used as gender non-specific: masculine and feminine should both be specified (and by analogy 'actor' and 'actress') or replaced by the plural 'they', even when a grammatical singular is required. Oh, what a tangled web …

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

I thought it ironic a few years back, when some French friends were discussing the recent introduction of the form 'la professeure', that this went in entirely the opposite direction from in English where actresses became actors. Yet we were inconsistent in insisting that the masculine singular personal pronouns and adjectives should not be used as gender non-specific: masculine and feminine should both be specified (and by analogy 'actor' and 'actress') or replaced by the plural 'they', even when a grammatical singular is required. Oh, what a tangled web …
                    Use of "they" as a singular pronoun would be OK if the verb that followed were not pluralised: he is; she is; they is.

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                      Use of "they" as a singular pronoun would be OK …
                      I'm shocked, Alpie. I'm shocked to the core!! Are you weakening?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                        Use of "they" as a singular pronoun would be OK if the verb that followed were not pluralised: he is; she is; they is.

That can't be right, surely!!!

(From recollection, the Bristolian equivalents would be more consistent, eg "we'm, you'm and they'm)

Comment

• vinteuil
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

(From recollection, the Bristolian equivalents would be more consistent, eg "we'm, you'm and they'm)
                          ... or from my Wiltshire childhood, 'we do be, you do be, they do be' etc .

Comment

• ahinton
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                            ... or from my Wiltshire childhood, 'we do be, you do be, they do be' etc.
                            Do-be-do-wa-wa...

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                              Well, I've never heard Bristolians say "we'm, you'm and they'm". Perhaps they say it in Gloucestershire. In Somerset we said, a bit like young M. Vinteuil, I be, you be, he, she or it be; we be, you be, they be.

Comment

• ahinton
                                • Nov 2010

Well, I've never heard Bristolians say "we'm, you'm and they'm". Perhaps they say it in Gloucestershire. In Somerset we said, a bit like young M. Vinteuil, I be, you be, he, she or it be; we be, you be, they be.
                                Surely Brizzle's more renowned for bistn't, casn't and the like, me babby?...

Comment

Working...
                                X