X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
    Period goes back to classical rhetoric, and is the expression of a complete thought, much as we use the word sentence - but Cicero's tend to be rather longer than ours. Later, and not particularly in America, it began to refer to the punctuation that terminated the piece of text rather than the text itself.

The same thing has happened with colon - cf. the tricolon, a word used for the figure expressing three parallel words, phrases, or clauses, rather than the punctuation which demarcated them (the Greeks and Romans managed without punctuation, on the whole).
    As do many modern forms of legal documentation, as I discovered a few years ago! I wonder why? Is it to avoid something?

Thanks - to you, jean, and to vints, for your respective explanations. Period.

Comment

• vinteuil
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      As do many modern forms of legal documentation, as I discovered a few years ago! I wonder why? Is it to avoid something?
      ... try this, for starters -

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
        Mmmmmm!

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

I rather enjoyed this example, illustrating 'point':

1995 Lit. & Ling. Computing 10 83/1 There is no full point after Dr, Mrs, Ms, or Mr.

Though I do realise what was intended.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
            • Jun 2014

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            In the first place, you didn't say 'a three-dot suspension point' you said, 'a suspension point'; in the second place, the dictionary definition of 'suspension point' is "one of a series of dots, usually three" (cf the French for the punctuation mark points de suspension; thirdly, 'point' is from Latin punctum from pungo, and indicates a precise spot, a small hole caused by piercing, a small point in space: it embodies singularity, except when plural; fourthly, as you use it, it appears from the link you give to be a Wikipedia-sanctioned Americanism … [ < smile of triumph]. It also seems to me to imply the American use of 'point' where we would use 'full stop'.
            But ... 'a suspension point' is not recognised as such unless it consists of a group of dots (or full-stops). If a dot (or full-stop) does not consist of such a group it is most certainly not a suspension point! The three-dot suspension point is the punctuational equivalent of The Holy Trinity, if you like ... ... AND ... my dictionary correctly describes 'a suspension point' as 'a group of dots, usually three'

As for any perceived 'Americanisms' it surely ill-behoves some here who have constantly insisted that 'British' English is a living, breathing ever-changing language, constantly embracing foreign practices from across the Atlantic, now appear to be becoming decidedly snooty about same!

Illogical ...

Comment

• makropulos
              • Nov 2010

There's no such thing. They only exist in the plural, as you have just demonstrated.
              If you want the singular, that is an elipsis, I think? At least it's what every publisher and copy-editor I've ever worked with calls it.

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by makropulos View Post
                If you want the singular, that is an elipsis, I think? At least it's what every publisher and copy-editor I've ever worked with calls it.
                Or even ellipsis? :-P Yes, in English it's what I would call it, or points de suspension in French. I'd never heard the term suspension point(s).
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps View Post
                  As for any perceived 'Americanisms' it surely ill-behoves some here who have constantly insisted that 'British' English is a living, breathing ever-changing language, constantly embracing foreign practices from across the Atlantic, now appear to be becoming decidedly snooty about same!

Illogical ...
                  Names and relevant passages where, please!

Comment

• greenilex
                    • Nov 2010

I fear I am an ellipsis addict...

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by greenilex View Post
                      A total ellipse?
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
                        • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                        Names and relevant passages where, please!
                        No names, no pack-drill, S_A ... I may be a pedant but I'm certainly not a 'finger-pointer'!

However, anyone interested in the subject of 'Americanisms' might wish to browse the 'teeth on edge' thread ...

Comment

• vinteuil
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by greenilex View Post
                          ... you are not alone...

Comment

• jean
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

The problem with the term ellipsis for this three-dot mark is that while it can serve as an indication that some text has been omitted, more usually - as in the examples here - it just indicates a sort of meaningful pause...

Comment

• vinteuil
                              • Nov 2010

The problem with the term ellipsis for this three-dot mark is that while it can serve as an indication that some text has been omitted, more usually - as in the examples here - it just indicates a sort of meaningful pause...

... or aposiopesis ...

Comment

• jean
                                Late member
                                • Nov 2010

Exactly.

Comment

Working...
                                X