X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    Pull the other one - it's got wheels on!

Comment

• jean
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post

Surely?
      No, because the point is that the fish doesn't need the bicycle.

Comment

• ahinton
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
        Ockam's Razor
        Occam's Razor, surely?

Comment

• ahinton
          • Nov 2010

It cannot incline to the right...
          Shouldn't that post be among the ones elsewhere about whether lack of overt political interest alone is what constitutes purported apoliticality or whether perceived absence of involvement in politics is an additional requirement to qualify as identifying this phenomenon?

Comment

• ahinton
            • Nov 2010

And how are your semicolons?
            Some might regard that question as an intrusive example of semi-colonic irritation...

Comment

• jean
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
              Occam's Razor, surely?
              It's not polite to correct a previous poster.

Comment

• ahinton
                • Nov 2010

It's not polite to correct a previous poster.
                So you've never done any such thing, then?

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Occam's Razor, surely?
                  Or Ockham's Razor. Names didn't have fixed forms in the 14th century.
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• jean
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

Ockam is probably not standard. But (as I explained to ahinton) I followed your spelling out of the extreme politeness for which I am a byword.

Comment

• jean
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

Shouldn't that post be among the ones elsewhere about whether lack of overt political interest alone is what constitutes purported apoliticality or whether perceived absence of involvement in politics is an additional requirement to qualify as identifying this phenomenon?
                      It could be, but I'd rather hoped the whole post would be of interest for itself.

What are we inflicting on children still at primary school?

And people who are so super-pedantic about the size and position of apostrophes should have taken more more care than to write cannot when other super-pedants might pounce on them and demand may not instead.

Comment

• ahinton
                        • Nov 2010

What are we inflicting on children still at primary school?
                        I don't know; I'm not inflicting anything on them personally.

And people who are so super-pedantic about the size and position of apostrophes should have taken more more care than to write cannot when other super-pedants might pounce on them and demand may not instead.
                        Better not say "may"; politics an' all that...

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Ockam is probably not standard. But (as I explained to ahinton) I followed your spelling out of the extreme politeness for which I am a byword.
                          And spell it how you will (Ockham would outrank Ockam, since that is the name of the village William is supposed to have come from; Occam is the most usual for his razor), Bryn's explanation:

The book is a allegorical, no? The lower orders in it have limitation imposed on their education and use of language. That the phrase has been taken up in the form used in the book and used on jewellery and in tattoos without questioning its linguistic validity tends to confirm the book's subtext re. the state of play in American society at the time of its writing, a state of play which apparently obtains still.
                          fails William's principle, "Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"; and, earlier, Ptolemy's, "We consider it a good principle to explain the phenomena by the simplest hypothesis possible" (sorry, do not have the Greek original to hand).

As jean had already pointed out: "I’ll tell you the weird thing about it,” Atwood told Time magazine about the quote this spring. “It was a joke in our Latin classes. So this thing from my childhood is permanently on people’s bodies.”

All that is required under the razor is that her adult memory got it wrong. Simplex optimus. Or optimum.
                          Last edited by french frank; 12-07-17, 09:50.
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

All that is required under the razor is that her adult memory got it wrong. Simplex optimus. Or optimum.
                            So your own comment re. the history of the alternative/original version and its lack of favour among feminists does not come into your application of Occam's razor in relation to a work of feminist credentials, eh. No scientist would be so slipshod in the application of this fallible test of hypotheses.

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                              So your own comment re. the history of the alternative/original version and its lack of favour among feminists does not come into your application of Occam's razor in relation to a work of feminist credentials, eh. No scientist would be so slipshod in the application of this fallible test of hypotheses.
                              Eh? Where did I say anything about the lack of favour among feminists &c? Not my sphere of knowledge.

My whole intention in the mention of Occam's razor was to dismiss any explanations that involved any unneccessary complcations, including my linguistic pedantries which were responses to others

Comment

Working...
                              X