X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Daniel
    • Jun 2012

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
    I think mainly she was annoyed because my father accidentally broke her umbrella during a very poor re-enactment of Singing in the Rain.

Having pondered this situation briefly , I think on balance I would be more upset by somebody breaking my umbrella, than by having to share my middle name with a cow. However, I think either of these grievances would be dwarfed by what I'd have felt if my parents had given me the middle name Ermintrude.

I am more familiar with the phrase "Trouble is my Middle Name"
    Me too, that one always seems to be knocking about somewhere. Can't recall hearing the 'Danger' one anywhere. Nor for that matter the Ermintrude one until tonight.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

On "Pointless" yesterday, a couple said that the middle name of one their children was "Danger".
      I heard that - admittedly from a father whose own parents had named him "Mousse"! (I'd misheard, and thought he was still talking about his own name, and for the previous twenty-four hours had actually thought that there was a chap walking around whose parents had called him "Danger Mousse"!
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

I'm reminded of the story in one of the Gervais Phinn anecdote books where he (a Schools Inspector) asks a little girl what her name is. Hearing that she is called "Portia", he tells her all about the character in The Merchant of Venice, only to receive an ever-increasing look of bemusement from the child. The class teacher takes him to one side and explains that the girl's father is a car fanatic, and that her name is spelt "Porsche".
        Last edited by ferneyhoughgeliebte; 08-10-16, 08:15.
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
          I'm reminded of the story in one of the Gervais Phinn anecdote books where he (a Schools Inspector) asks a little girl what her name is. Hearing that she is called "Portia", he tells her all about the character in The Merchant of Venice, only to receive an ever-increasing look of bemusement from the child. The class teacher takes him to one side and explains that the girl's father is a car fanatic, and that her name is spelt "Porsche".
          Imagine speaking a tonal oriental language, when the same word can mean different things according to the way it's "sung".

Comment

• Sir Velo
            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
            Christopher/Kristofer
            Karen/Caron/Caren/Karin
            Jonathan/Jonathon/Johnathan/Johnathon
            Rachel/Rachael

We've already had "Harry S Trueman" (the "S" being his compete middle name). I wonder who will be the first person to be given a lower case name.
            For a so called pedant you do seem to be remarkably unpedantic about small details such as the spelling of the late president's name.https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_S._Truman

Comment

• Zucchini
              • Nov 2010

Quite so, Sir Velo - hence my #3080 asking if he was going on about one of Fiery Fred Trueman's relatives
              In the (near) words of Michael Caine "Not many people don't know that"

Comment

• Pulcinella
                Host
                • Feb 2014

Picking up from another thread, here's an example of a missing 'that' that causes a momentary need to reread the sentence (well, it did for me, anyway):

David Cameron has revealed his first new role after quitting political life will be to lead an expansion of the National Citizen Service for teenagers.
                [BBC Online News]

Much better as
                David Cameron has revealed that his first role......

(Of course, one might wish that he had chosen to do something else, but that would be straying into undesired political comment!)

Comment

• kernelbogey
                  • Nov 2010

Not new, but somehow I've started to notice the frequency with which both speakers and writers begin a sentence or paragraph 'So...'. It's almost always redundant.

(So I'll keep taking the pills.)

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                    Not new, but somehow I've started to notice the frequency with which both speakers and writers begin a sentence or paragraph 'So...'. It's almost always redundant.
                    Not too long ago Gillian Reynolds wrote that she had made a resolution not to keep starting sentences with 'So'. In many cases the use is standard ('therefore/thus', though less formal to start a new sentence with it?), but the new use could be called the 'Inconsequential So' indicating 'I'm about to say something'.
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• jean
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                      ...the new use could be called the 'Inconsequential So' indicating 'I'm about to say something'.
                      ...and just give me a moment to get my thoughts together...

It's a filler. If it wasn't 'so', it'd be something else.

Every time this comes up (and it often does) I mention the Italian Allora... almost an exact equivalent.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
                        ...and just give me a moment to get my thoughts together...

It's a filler. If it wasn't 'so', it'd be something else.

Every time this comes up (and it often does) I mention the Italian Allora... almost an exact equivalent.
                        "Dunque" is very commonly used in an almost equivalent way to "allora" (French "alors"). Germans use "also" (so, therefore) in a similar way. Aussie "look" is another similar sentence starter.

It is not always just an empty filler, as it would sometimes seem to express the meaning: "I am saying what I about to say as a consequence of what you have just said".

Comment

• kernelbogey
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                          "Dunque" is very commonly used in an almost equivalent way to "allora" (French "alors"). Germans use "also" (so, therefore) in a similar way. Aussie "look" is another similar sentence starter.

It is not always just an empty filler, as it would sometimes seem to express the meaning: "I am saying what I about to say as a consequence of what you have just said".
                          Allora... si...

And I suppose it's a sort of 'I hear what you say...'.

(Incdentally, here in Hampshire, in local dialect 'Look' is sometimes said at the end of the sentence, e.g. 'I've mended the fence, look'.)

Thanks for comments.

Comment

• jean
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

Move a bit further West and they'd be saying Look you...

Comment

• ahinton
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
                              Move a bit further West and they'd be saying Look you...
                              Quite a distance further west, surely?

Comment

• jean
                                Late member
                                • Nov 2010

Litotes, ahinton.

Comment

Working...
                                X