X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kernelbogey
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
    ...an honorary title "Elizabeth Mayor" of somewhere (like a "Regis Professor")?
    For when you've been mayor for, say, more than 60 years?

Comment

• Pulcinella
      Host
      • Feb 2014

Yes - is there somebody with the name "Elizabeth Mayor Christian Bollwage" (Ms E M C Bollwage), or is there an honorary title "Elizabeth Mayor" of somewhere (like a "Regis Professor")?
      I have assumed that the person is the Mayor of a place called Elizabeth! Am I right?
      But it did take a couple of attempts to work it out.

PS: yes, I could have checked the story.
      Not just a place: a city!
      Last edited by Pulcinella; 19-09-16, 13:22. Reason: PS added.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jean View Post
        It was the Elizabeth that puzzled me - and I don't see how punctuation would have clarified that (though if I'd read the whole story I would have known).
        Yes, why did they call a place 'Elizabeth?' Charlottesville, perhaps. Or Georgetown.

is there somebody with the name "Elizabeth Mayor Christian Bollwage" (Ms E M C Bollwage)

Which is, of course, exactly the way my mind was working …
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• vinteuil
          • Nov 2010

Yes - is there somebody with the name "Elizabeth Mayor Christian Bollwage" (Ms E M C Bollwage), or is there an honorary title "Elizabeth Mayor" of somewhere (like a "Regis Professor")?
          ... as this be a pedantick thread ...

Regis for Bognors, Regius for Perfessers

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

Regis for Bognors, [B]
            But that would be for a standard Bognor secondary modern, one presumes.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

Regis for Bognors, Regius for Perfessers
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                • Aug 2015

So (the required beginning of any sentence etc now for anyone under 40)

.......clarion clear - Lynne Featherstone this afternoon.

I hope that the phrase doesn't catch on but it will do as that is what happens in politics.

Comment

• vinteuil
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post

.......clarion clear.
                  ... why not order some today?

Comment

• Oldcrofter
                    • Dec 2010

Here's Mayor Bollwage of Elizabeth, New Jersey

As nearly every pedant already knows, "Elizabeth, originally called "Elizabethtown" and part of the Elizabethtown Tract, was founded in 1664 by English settlers. The town was not named for Queen Elizabeth I as many people may assume, but rather for Elizabeth, wife of Sir George Carteret, one of the two original Proprietors of the colony of New Jersey. " info from Mr/Mrs/Ms Wiki.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Oldcrofter View Post
                      Here's Mayor Bollwage of Elizabeth, New Jersey

As nearly every pedant already knows, "Elizabeth, originally called "Elizabethtown" and part of the Elizabethtown Tract, was founded in 1664 by English settlers. The town was not named for Queen Elizabeth I as many people may assume, but rather for Elizabeth, wife of Sir George Carteret, one of the two original Proprietors of the colony of New Jersey. " info from Mr/Mrs/Ms Wiki.
                      Well, thanks for taking the trouble, OC. Now we can all relax!

Comment

• gurnemanz
                        • Nov 2010

It is surprising that an announcer on a classical music station does not take the trouble to be familiar with even the simplest elements of German pronunciation. This morning Sarah Walker ignored the umlaut on the Tölzer Knabenchor. Presumably she would not mispronounce better-known occurrences such as with the conductor, Karl Böhm, composer, Schönberg, or the song, Erlkönig. It is surely not a difficult pronunciation rule to master.

Comment

• ahinton
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                          It is surprising that an announcer on a classical music station does not take the trouble to be familiar with even the simplest elements of German pronunciation. This morning Sarah Walker ignored the umlaut on the Tölzer Knabenchor. Presumably she would not mispronounce better-known occurrences such as with the conductor, Karl Böhm, composer, Schönberg, or the song, Erlkönig. It is surely not a difficult pronunciation rule to master.
                          Indeed but, without knowing the facts, that might have been because it was omitted from her script and, whilst she would be expected to know (and I'm quite sure does know) how to pronounce Böhm, Schönberg and Erlkönig (even with a trace of Barnsley accent) because she's obviously heard of them all, she might reasonably be forgiven for not necessarily having heard of the Tölzer Knabenchor and therefore mispronouncing it because it was mis-spelt in said script.

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                            that might have been because it was omitted from her script
                            A point that arises with Richard Tarleton's bete [sic] noire - the mispronunciation of Tárrega. Whether you've ever heard of him or not, the accent might guide you. But if it isn't there, as [now ex-]Radio 3 pompously announced, it is 'counter-intuitive' to stress the first syllable …
                            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

As has been mentioned here on numerous previous occasions, Radio 3 presenters write their own scripts, so if the umlaut was indeed omitted ... .

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                                A point that arises with Richard Tarleton's bete [sic] noire - the mispronunciation of Tárrega.
                                Believe it or not, this works in Spanish - bestia negra, acc. to the Salamanca Dictionary - Persona o cosa que provoca el fracaso....

I was going to say on the whole I find SW's pronunciation of furrin names, whilst uncompromisingly English at times, preferable to the sort of contortions her EC partner in crime finds himself in, and to the affected over-pronunciation we have come to love elsewhere

Comment

Working...
                                X