X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gurnemanz
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    I had no idea it was 'acceptable' anywhere, even if with the rider that it was 'to be avoided'. But a clear example of the OED recording 'actual usage' as well as 'standard usage'.
    It does look as if "mitigate against" might be getting established - a Google search in inverted commas produces 448,000 actual occurrences of the phrase. Actual usage often turns into standard usage and this process has to take place if language is to evolve. I tend to be fairly liberal in this respect but, for me, it is just wrong. In a student's essay, I would certainly correct it.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
      It does look as if "mitigate against" might be getting established - a Google search in inverted commas produces 448,000 actual occurrences of the phrase. Actual usage often turns into standard usage and this process has to take place if language is to evolve. I tend to be fairly liberal in this respect but, for me, it is just wrong. In a student's essay, I would certainly correct it.
      Pretty much my view, gurnemanz. We have 'militate against' and it would just seem plumb ornery to start using that for 'mitigate against'. Even if one takes the 'liberal' view, it's worth a lesson in what they're saying and why they're saying it.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

How big a pedant are you...?
        Know your "it's" from your "its"? Your "less" from your "fewer"? Try our quiz to find out how you fare
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• mercia
          • Nov 2010

I got number 1 wrong - which I think I need explained to me (I put the comma after the quotes)

Comment

• vinteuil
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
            ... in which we learn that the Torygraph doesn't understand the Oxford Comma.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post
              I got number 1 wrong - which I think I need explained to me (I put the comma after the quotes)
              So did I mercs, and so do I...

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                Then again....

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                  Yes! And it was my downfall, as usual, to use the Oxford comma when describing the German flag!!

Edit: I just knew Cali would post Vampire Weekend, he does love that song!!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                    Yes! And it was my downfall, as usual, to use the Oxford comma when describing the German flag!!

Edit: I just knew Cali would post Vampire Weekend, he does love that song!!
                    Predictable, moi ?

Comment

• mangerton
                      • Nov 2010

So did I mercs, and so do I...
                      Yes, me as well. (Possibly "I as well".) Please include me in to any explanation.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
                        Yes, me as well. (Possibly "I as well".) Please include me in to any explanation.
                        Because a comma is a natural pause, and the pause is contained within the quotation marks, not after, as that results in an unnatural speech pattern. Doesn't it?

Cali's posted that clip before, I was going to try and beat him to it but he obviously has it lurking on his sidebar for speedy posting as and when the occasion demands!!

Comment

• mangerton
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                          I would say you are quite correct, even although I do live a long way from Oxford.

edit: Thank you, Anna, that is very clear.

Comment

• Lento
                            • Jan 2014

What's with this VladEEmir we hear from some in the BBC?

Comment

• Pabmusic
                              • May 2011

I took this, but don't agree that it highlights grammatical errors. Many of the questions test stylistic matters, others puctuation. To use an Oxford comma is a matter of style, not grammar (I use it, many don't). To put the comma outside the quotes is a matter of style (I do, others don't - it used to be more common to do it that way; it's now reversed). Whether to use a semicolon or a dash is a matter of style, not grammar.

However, questions 6, 8,* and 10 are indeed about grammar.

*[Oxford comma.]

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                                Gone fishin'
                                • Sep 2011

Cali, vinty and I all get very cross when the Oxford comma is omitted.
                                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                                X