X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
    Well here we have John Lehmann, poet, literary editor, publisher interviewing Aldous Huxley for Monitor in 1962, introduced by Huw Wheldon as 'Mister John Lehmann'. Note how he adresses Mr Huxley ...

whereas here is Malcolm Muggeridge interviewing (or fawning over as it might be termed more accurately )
    Somerset Maugham in 1954

Just how Muggeridge manages to articulate anything, given how far his tongue is apparently located up Maugham's person, is a bit of a miracle

But maybe this is not the sort of respect that Caliban means either
    Thanks, Ams, for finding these Monitor interviews - especially Aldous Huxley's. To see him talking about his final novel "Island" as work in progress is wonderful. If only I'd been a bit older, back in 1958!!!

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      Thanks, Ams, for finding these Monitor interviews - especially Aldous Huxley's. To see him talking about his final novel "Island" as work in progress is wonderful. If only I'd been a bit older, back in 1958!!!
      He has a great 'presence' doesn't he S_A - the way it just rolls out of him, freshly-minted.

Can you imagine those celebrity interviews done by Richard E Grant on Sky being viewed as national treasure in 2062?

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

the whole SKY/BBC debate reminds me rather of the choice between Labour and conservative at election time........it looks like a choice, but ends up costing you either way.
        I have a deep mistrust of a vast amount of "content" in all the mainstream news media......they are all driven by other peoples agendas, and not usually people I would care to take tea with.

Anyway, Its Friday night, the one night of the week I can hope for something decent on the telly.........lets hope BBC4 are playing ball tonight.

Oh.........
        Last edited by teamsaint; 27-04-12, 18:18. Reason: just checked the BBC4 schedules.........
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• gradus
          • Nov 2010

At grammar school in the 1950's, surnames were always used, I wonder if similar establishments still do the same?

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by gradus View Post
            At grammar school in the 1950's, surnames were always used, I wonder if similar establishments still do the same?
            In the first year (1968) of my North Wales Grammar School for Boys, the class numbered 32 and there were 16 boys with the surname Jones.

Our English teacher, Mr Blackwell from London, was appalled that none of us had ever heard of the Isle of Dogs. Mind you, he created nicknames for all 16 Joneses - Tall Jones, Fat Jones, Stupid Jones, Terminally Stupid Jones - so he got his revenge

Comment

• Mr Pee
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
              Oh right, you're happy with guesswork & speculation then - no change there then
              You're referring to Polly Toynbee, presumably, since 95% of the article under discussion seems to consist of precisely those two things.
              Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Mandryka

Calling people by their surnames is a deeply recidivist practice. The main reason I have no interest or aptitude in metalwork or woodwork is because the teachers of those subjects insisted on calling us all by our surnames, which I found both insulting and patronising.

Fascinating clip of Muggeridge and Maugham, there, ams: two of the greatest men of the 20th century in front of one camera.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
                  You're referring to Polly Toynbee, presumably, since 95% of the article under discussion seems to consist of precisely those two things.
                  You know that I'm referring to you, Mr Pee

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
                    Calling people by their surnames is a deeply recidivist practice. The main reason I have no interest or aptitude in metalwork or woodwork is because the teachers of those subjects insisted on calling us all by our surnames, which I found both insulting and patronising.

Fascinating clip of Muggeridge and Maugham, there, ams: two of the greatest men of the 20th century in front of one camera.

Good to see you back in these parts, Mr M
                    "...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

it is not the one v the other in some fecking talent contest or consumer choice marathon ... i do not give a hoot for what you and your mum watch on Saturday night ... it is about killing off all public enterprise or collective endeavour ... the BBC and the NHS are the last bastions of collective provision and they want to kill them Dave & George and Rupert & RebekAH and wee jamie that is what they wanted to do and they have just about failed but try and stay healthy for a year or two if you can't afford health insurance ...
                      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Mr Pee
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                        it is not... consumer choice....
                        Actually, although you may not like the fact, that is exactly what it is.
                        Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by gradus View Post
                          I went to Rushmore Road School, a shite junior school in Lower Clapton (South Hackney) and even then, in the late 60s, a certain Mr Mills called us all by our surnames. I didn't like it it. It wasn't just posh schools that went in for this practice. I was the dog's danglies at metalwork though

Comment

• Mandryka

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
                            I went to Rushmore Road School, a shite junior school in Lower Clapton (South Hackney) and even then, in the late 60s, a certain Mr Mills called us all by our surnames. I didn't like it it. It wasn't just posh schools that went in for this practice. I was the dog's danglies at metalwork though
                            Well, my experience dated from the late seventies, which is even more shocking. The school was a secondary modern that had just become a comprehensive and I think a lot of the teachers tended to operate in a military way.

Comment

• Mandryka

Interesting that Murdoch apparently attacked 'right-wingers' in one of his recent 'tweets' (and does anyone believe that that REALLY RM pummelling the keys of his blackberry?). Evidently, Keith Rupert thinks of himself as some sort of neo-liberal.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                                Late member
                                • Nov 2010

er no guv i was not doing a deal with a tax dodging blackmailing bully who hacked phones and bribed officials ... we was just having a light snack ... the cut in the bbc license fees the restraint of ofcom and the supporting the bskyb thing are all just the purest of coincidences innit guv honest ... i am a good bloke would i do that i ask you ..... mind you i am getting an itch about my mate George .... seems he has fingers in pies if yer knows what i mean and i might have to reconsider his position after we do the deal on that nonce boy Hunt .... er no one told me about Andy C, bit unfortunate that .... expect he will go down and all ... what's it coming to when yer can't trust yer mates i asks yer
                                According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Working...
                                X