Your favourite QUINTETS, any mix of instruments.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by kea View Post
    Mozart's K515 and 516 are head and shoulders above everything else though.

Possibly equalled by Schubert's D956.
    Possibly - it's certainly the finest 'cello 5tet that I can think of.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ahinton
      • Nov 2010

Surprised no one has mentioned Brahms's first string quintet Op. 88. I like it just as well as his second one. Sometimes better.

Mozart's K515 and 516 are head and shoulders above everything else though. Possibly equalled by Schubert's D956.
      Agreed about the Brahms and the Mozart. I cannot, however, manage to bring myself to enthuse about the Schubert like almost everyone else on earth...

Comment

• ahinton
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
        A quite recent discovery for me is Weinberg's monumental,beautiful,tormented and tragic (probably describes most of his music) Piano Quintet.
        Yes, it's good to see that one back again; years ago, there was a recording by the Borodin 4tet and the composer on Melodya (MEL CD 10 01998). His work is not getting to be much better known - and about time, too! All the quartets have been recorded in more recent times and there's opther material out there now. He's remained in the shadows for far too long, as I'm sure Shostakovich would have agreed had he lived to witness the long overdue revival of interest in his work.

Comment

• kea
          • Dec 2013

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
          Possibly - it's certainly the finest 'cello 5tet that I can think of.
          Hmm. I can't think of any other cello 5tets apart from Boccherini and Reicha, though I know there have to be more.

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
          I cannot, however, manage to bring myself to enthuse about the Schubert like almost everyone else on earth...
          Can understand Schubert not being to everyone's taste. He's not always to mine—I think of him somewhat as an ex-boyfriend I still have feelings for, but usually manage to get through the day without thinking too much about. Until I get drunk or sentimental and end up sobbing into D959 begging for forgiveness and promising to forswear all other music for eternity. Eventually I come to my senses and realise the relationship would never work out, and return to the arms of my true love, Schumann.

That was a slightly awkward metaphor. I apologise.

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
          Yes, it's good to see that one back again; years ago, there was a recording by the Borodin 4tet and the composer on Melodya (MEL CD 10 01998). His work is not getting to be much better known - and about time, too! All the quartets have been recorded in more recent times and there's opther material out there now. He's remained in the shadows for far too long, as I'm sure Shostakovich would have agreed had he lived to witness the long overdue revival of interest in his work.
          Side note: the score of Weinberg's piano quintet can be read here for those interested in such things.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
            • Nov 2010

It may be in an earlier post, but Nielsen's Wind Quintet is a delight, especially on the Melos recording.

Comment

• Sir Velo
              • Oct 2012

Bliss' Clarinet Quintet: sheer, er, bliss...

Comment

• Sir Velo
                • Oct 2012

Faure's 2nd Piano Qnt (no doubt Caliban has already drawn this to boarders' attention). Supple, effortless, mellifluence.

Comment

• Sir Velo
                  • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                  It may be in an earlier post, but Nielsen's Wind Quintet is a delight, especially on the Melos recording.

Liget's Wind Qnt. At the extreme of sonic digestibility, but worth a nibble.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                    Liget's Wind Qnt. At the extreme of sonic digestibility, but worth a nibble.
                    There are two works for W5tet by Ligeti, neither of them gruelling (see what I did there - "digestibility" - pathetic, isn't it ) - the Six Bagatelles 0f 1954:
                    Gy Ligeti Six Bagatelles for Wind QuintetI. Allegro con spirito II. Rubato. LamentosoIII. Allegro grazioso IV. Presto ruvidoV. Adagio. Mesto VI. Mo...

... and the Ten Pieces of 1968:

All my favourite W5tets (so far) were written in the 20th Century: Nielsen, Schönberg, Carter, Birtwistle, Ligeti ...

... and, swapping France for England, Stockhausen:
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• aeolium
                      • Nov 2010

Mozart's K515 and 516 are head and shoulders above everything else though. Possibly equalled by Schubert's D956.
                      What about Mozart's own later quintets, K593 and K614? I prefer both of these to K515.

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

for those interested in the Nielsen windy quinny,, it can be had brand new for nunpence.

And very good this CD is too !!

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• gamba
                          Late member
                          • Dec 2010

Mozart K 516 - No equal

Schubert - string quintet.
                          Last edited by gamba; 22-02-14, 23:45. Reason: Can't make up my mind.

Comment

Working...
                          X