Your favourite QUINTETS, any mix of instruments.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr Pee
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
    Ah, yes - tricky one, this - as in "when is a quintet(/quartet) not a quintet(/quartet)" - a thought which had already occurred to me for some reason.

Anyway, it's a most wonderful piece!...

Hope that makes things clear.
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• ahinton
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
      Or even a "quintette" (Mr Grew passim)

"Pass im" by might seem to be the most sensible advice whenever he does that kind of thing (as he does all too often, along with his habitual pepperings of his texts with those bizarre and absurd redundant hyphens, as in "tele-vision", "inter-net" and the rest), methinks...

Comment

• Mr Pee
        • Nov 2010

"Pass im" by might seem to be the most sensible advice whenever he does that kind of thing (as he does all too often, along with his habitual pepperings of his texts with those bizarre and absurd redundant hyphens, as in "tele-vision", "inter-net" and the rest), methinks...
        You mean me-thinks, surely?
        Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• ahinton
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quintet

Hope that makes things clear.
          I don't doubt that it makes something clear - sort of - but what remains unclear is why you've yet to cite Elgar's Piano Quintet...

Comment

• ahinton
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
            You mean me-thinks, surely?
            Well, yes, I imagine that you do, on occasion...(!)

Comment

• Mr Pee
              • Nov 2010

I don't doubt that it makes something clear - sort of - but what remains unclear is why you've yet to cite Elgar's Piano Quintet...
              Well, I took it that was included in my initial contribution, where I said " I would include most of the above", since it had already been mentioned in an earlier post.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• JFLL
                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                A pity if being so well-known should rule out the Trout.
                Indeed. Jaded listeners might try listening to the third variation of the fourth movement as though it were by Fats Waller -- a comparison once suggested to me by my uncle.

Comment

• AmpH
                  • Feb 2012

VAUGHAN WILLIAMS Phantasy Quintet - a most underrated piece, as is most of RVW's chamber music.

Comment

• AmpH
                    • Feb 2012

I also forgot the VAUGHAN WILLIAMS Piano Quintet , again , another lovely piece.

Comment

• 3rd Viennese School

The only Quintet I have is the Schnittke one.

On the Naxos label.

Played by his wife.

You know the one.

it has 5 instruments in it.

3VS

Comment

• Tapiola
                        • Jan 2011

I have the self-same disc 3VS.

Another lovely quintet is Bryce by Takemitsu.

Comment

• Don Petter

Three quintets which are well worth seeking out, and I think not so far mentioned, are those by Franz Schmidt. There are two for clarinet, piano, left hand, and strings (one in B flat and one in A) and one for piano, left hand, and strings (in G).

They were all written at the request of Paul Wittgenstein, hence the single hand. (Two of them were subsequently arranged for two hands at the piano by Friedrich Wührer, and some recordings use these versions.)

Don’t be put off by thinking of Schmidt as a dour Austrian. They are extremely tuneful works. As a sample, here is the third movement from the piano quintet in G:

I came across this gem by accident. String quartet plus piano, left-hand only. Some expressionist paintings from the same period as the music to go along.

Comment

• groovydavidii
                            • Dec 2010

aka Calum Da Jazbo, agree! Miles Davis Quintet 1: Coltrane/Stitt, Wynton Kelly, Paul Chambers, Jimmy Cobb. Quintet !!, would that be: Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter, Ron Carter, Tony Williams, and the best line-up?

Comment

• DublinJimbo
                              • Nov 2011

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                              Three quintets which are well worth seeking out, and I think not so far mentioned, are those by Franz Schmidt. There are two for clarinet, piano, left hand, and strings (one in B flat and one in A) and one for piano, left hand, and strings (in G).
                              I have the third of these in a recording by Leon Fleischer, Yo-Yo Ma and others. It joined my collection due to its being coupled with Korngold's Suite for 2 Violins, Cello and Piano Left Hand while I was in my get-everything-by-Korngold phase. I must admit to not listening to the Schmidt as often as to the Korngold, but your mention has prompted me to give the Schmidt a spin.

What recordings do you have of the clarinet quintets? I see they are available on Marco Polo (separate discs), but I cannot tell from the online information if the piano part is the original left-hand version or not.
                              Last edited by DublinJimbo; 26-04-12, 18:53. Reason: Typo

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DublinJimbo View Post
                                Stanford: Piano Quintet in D minor op. 25
                                Stanford: String Quintet no. 1 in F major op. 85
                                Fine works those two, I was listening to the Hyperion cd just the other evening.

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
                                are there any other horn quintets with horn+strings?
                                There is a particularly lovely fantasy quintet for horn and strings by Stanford.

Comment

Working...
                                X