Your favourite QUINTETS, any mix of instruments.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Skelton

There are some most attractive quintets for flute, oboe, violin, viola and continuo by J.C.Bach. Michael Haydn's string quintets are good, as are Boccherini's (the ones I've heard).

Mozart all 4 later string quintets
    Schubert string quintet
    Schumann piano / string quartet (though I prefer the piano quartet)
    Brahms piano / string quartet
    -"- clarinet / string quartet
    Morton Feldman, piano and string quartet
    -"-, violin and string quartet
    Heniz Holiger, piano / wind quartet http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSYA6A1-RbQ / http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDcne...feature=relmfu
    Anthony Braxton Quintet
    Walter Zimmermann De Umbris Idearum (piano / string quartet).

Comment

• Panjandrum

Prokofiev Qnt for ob, cl, vn, va & db

Leister et al is a fine pf on Apex.

Comment

• ahinton
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
        Schoenberg: String Quartet No 2
        Ah, yes - tricky one, this - as in "when is a quintet(/quartet) not a quintet(/quartet)" - a thought which had already occurred to me for some reason.

Anyway, it's a most wonderful piece!...

Comment

• vinteuil
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by John Skelton View Post
          There are some most attractive quintets for flute, oboe, violin, viola and continuo by J.C.Bach.
          yes indeed - lovely performances I recall by Musica Petropolitana of the D major; a good CD with Berliner Barock Compagney / Christine Schornsheim on capriccio also...

I like Friedrich Witt's E flat quintet for piano and winds; also Eduard von Lannoy in E flat for piano, oboe, clarinet, horn, and bassoon

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
            Rimsky - Quintet for Piano and Winds.
            I got to know this work & this performance while working in Henry Stave's record shop on London Bridge - my manager had to stay my hand on the umpteenth playing in a week but the punters seemed to like it too - sold several copies - attaboy!
            Last edited by Guest; 26-04-12, 12:14. Reason: who's Henry Steve? lol

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
              Ah, yes - tricky one, this - as in "when is a quintet(/quartet) not a quintet(/quartet)" - a thought which had already occurred to me for some reason.

Anyway, it's a most wonderful piece!...
              ... the same reason, surely, that nobody has yet mentioned:

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Tapiola
                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                ... the same reason, surely, that nobody has yet mentioned:

http://www.musicweb-international.co...v02/Hinton.htm
                Oh yes. I had also thought of mentioning this...

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Oh yes. I had also thought of mentioning this...
                  Yes; whilst one wishes to respect the modesty of fellow Forumistas, there comes a point where needs must!

Comment

• Tapiola
                    • Jan 2011

Yes; whilst one wishes to respect the modesty of fellow Forumistas, there comes a point where needs must!
                    Indeed. And if I may be so bold, it is a work in need of re-broadcast by Radio 3. I remember an airing 6-7(?) years ago. I tuned in out of curiosity and soon found my attention entirely focused on this extraordinary work.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Indeed. And if I may be so bold, it is a work in need of re-broadcast by Radio 3. I remember an airing 6-7(?) years ago. I tuned in out of curiosity and soon found my attention entirely focused on this extraordinary work.
                      Exactly my response, too, Tapi. It was during a season with the name "British Music Now" (or some such), and I was disgusted that Ferneyhough wasn't even mentioned, let alone featured. I blush to say that I tuned in fully intending to sneer at the work as unworthy of BF's "place" in the series ... and was utterly absorbed by the work from its first notes. Another broadcast is more than overdue, (but I'm not holding my breath waiting .)

Comment

• Tapiola
                        • Jan 2011

"when is a quintet(/quartet) not a quintet(/quartet)"
                        Or even a "quintette" (Mr Grew passim)

Comment

• Tapiola
                          • Jan 2011

..."British Music Now" (or some such), and I was disgusted that Ferneyhough wasn't even mentioned, let alone featured.
                          Perhaps for the Beeb, BF doesn't count as he is resident on the continent, where they speak that beastly foreign...

Comment

• ahinton
                            • Nov 2010

Perhaps for the Beeb, BF doesn't count as he is resident on the continent, where they speak that beastly foreign...
                            Well, that's not entirely fair, I think; they did, I believe, broadcast at least some of the BF Total Immersion weekend a while back (although I missed it as I was abroad at the time), though what plans, if any, they may have to honour his 70th birthday next January I know not and I possess no insider information with which I could otherwise speculate on this. Brian's Prometheus (Ferneyhough's, that is, not Havergal's Prometheus Unbound!) is, however, being aired at this year's Proms on 11 August, so BBC will surely be broadcasting that...

That said - you and fhg are really most kind in your posts above. For the record, the name of the R3 series in 2005 in which my string quintet was broadcast was British Music Focus and its principal brief to "focus" on works by British composers on the kind of scale that would ordinarily preclude their transmission on R3; the night before it, they relayed the Lenard recording of Brian's Gothic Symphony which, as I listened, gave me the most queasy feelings of "follow that!", as if I had any hope of being able to do so (Lenard one night and Leonard the next, one might say!) and, a few days later, there was a new live performance of Maw's Odyssey by BBCSO/Litton which I attended at Maida Vale Studios and after which I met the composer for the only time (he was already quite ill by then). On the basis of that brief, I suppose that it might be argued that Ferneyhough didn't have a work to his name that wouldn't otherwise fit into R3's customary broadcasting schedules, but I agree that this fact alone provides no excuse for his not being mentioned; perhaps I should have mentioned him at the point in my interview with Andrew McGregor that inevitable reference was made to Schönberg's Second Quartet (on account of its use of a solo soprano) and I could perhaps have taken that opportunity to make passing mention of Brian F.'s Fourth Quartet (which does likewise), my only possible defence for having omitted to do so being that, unlike the Schönberg, I did not know about it when writing my string quintet because it was not composed until 13 years after I completed that work...
                            Last edited by ahinton; 30-04-16, 12:27.

Comment

• Tapiola
                              • Jan 2011

Well, that's not entirely fair, I think- they did, I believe, broadcast at least some of the BF Total Immersion weekend a while back
                              Sorry Alistair, I should have used a smiley to indicate the slightly tongue-in-cheek nature of my previous post.

As to the remainder of your post, thanks for the very interesting information on the nature and reasoning behind the series, delivered with your customary humour and modesty!

Comment

• gurnemanz
                                • Nov 2010

Or even a "quintette" (Mr Grew passim)

Something like this comes to mind:
                                Quintette du Hot Club de France was a jazz group founded in France in 1934 by guitarist Django Reinhardt and violinist Stéphane Grappelli, and active in one ...

Comment

Working...
                                X