X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

BBC Podcasts

While trying to sort out some problems with my iPod tonight I noted that some R3 programs were being downloaded as podcasts. These once seemed a good idea. I wondered if quality has improved over the years, and I have to say that these are at least bearable. However, checking on my laptop shows that the latest ones are still 128 kbps MP3, just as they were a few years back I wondered if there might be options to download at other bit rates or using other codecs, but the help files don't suggest that this might be possible. Perhaps the relativcely low bit rate MP3 format is justifiable for programs with mixed music and speech, such as COTW, though I wonder whether keeping low rates with older codecs is still sensible.
  • mangerton
    • Nov 2010

I would have thought 128 rather low for good quality music, but OK for speech. That said, I downloaded the podcast of the St M Passion BAL to a memory stick and played it back in the car. Considering everything, it didn't sound too bad.

I don't think we're offered a choice of bit rates or codecs - it's take it or leave it! I'd still use my PVR to make recordings of anything I wanted to listen to "seriously", or keep.

Btw, should this thread perhaps be on the new Techie board?

Comment

Working...
    X