X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Extended Play
    • Jul 2024

Time to kill

Apologies from a new writer on the Forum if this re-hashes a well-worn topic. The question is: when there is a massive and entirely predictable under-run, would it be possible/desirable to be told in advance (in the published schedule) what music is going to fill the gap?

The present structure of the Radio 3 schedule means that sometimes hefty "fillers" are needed. We have just had a prime example this afternoon: the Pacifica Quartet's Shostakovich concert, allocated two hours in the schedule, ended leaving 45 minutes (!) to fill before the CE repeat. And of course this was already known to the schedulers: it's not as though the concert was live -- it was recorded last month.

I appreciate that the network's schedule online is laid out in a neat grid and no-one would want it to become unnecessarily cluttered. But in circumstances like today's, would it not be a service to the listener (or potential listener) to have some idea of what's to follow? It surely must have been decided well in advance. (For the record, we got three of Shostakovich's Preludes and Fugues, and a complete Mendelssohn string quartet).

With best wishes to all.
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Good afternoon, EP - and welcome.

The point does crop up from time to time when a similar situation arises. I'm afraid that overall there is dissatisfaction with the online listings: incomplete, not posted at all, inaccurate and often not appearing more than a few days ahead.

The point about substantial 'fillers' is very valid. And the online grid can be expanded to give at least the basic details. Afternoon on 3 and Live in Concert are considered a single programme, apparently, and they only post the details for that section.

I'm just trying to think if there's a useful address you can email your comments to. I'll have a think (anyone?).
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Extended Play View Post
      (For the record, we got three of Shostakovich's Preludes and Fugues, and a complete Mendelssohn string quartet).
      Icing on the cake or what ?
      I agree it would have been nice to know in advance though.

Comment

• Panjandrum

Steve Bowbrick, Head of BBC 3 digital, comes to mind; either by Facebook or Twitter. Alternatively, email the programme concerned; in this case liveinconcert@bbc.co.uk.

It's one of my biggest gripes, when listening on the iplayer, when programmes either overrun or finish early and nothing is done to tailor the iplayer recording accordingly. Particularly, if programmes start late one has to keep fast forwarding and stopping to check until one finally finds the start. Of course, they'll tell you it's all automated, but if you listenagain to Radio4 all their recorded programmes start and finish within 30 seconds of the advertised timings.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
          • Nov 2010

There is also surely no reason why the Freeview radio schedules could not be amended for those of us who use them, especially as change of content appears on the screen as it happens, as is the case with Record Review

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post
            Steve Bowbrick, Head of BBC 3 digital, comes to mind; either by Facebook or Twitter. Alternatively, email the programme concerned; in this case liveinconcert@bbc.co.uk.

It's one of my biggest gripes, when listening on the iplayer, when programmes either overrun or finish early and nothing is done to tailor the iplayer recording accordingly. Particularly, if programmes start late one has to keep fast forwarding and stopping to check until one finally finds the start. Of course, they'll tell you it's all automated, but if you listenagain to Radio4 all their recorded programmes start and finish within 30 seconds of the advertised timings.
            If it comes to that, Graeme Kay is something called the Interactive Editor.

(The formula for BBC staff addresses is firstname.secondname at bbc dot co dot uk)

I suspect R4's programmes are all neater packages. I was recording last Sunday's Drama on 3 for listening later and came back to find some choral music on, even though it was some time before the play was scheduled to end; yet they must have known exactly when it would finish. The online people are now too busy with Facebookery and Twittering to bother about the on-air material
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Extended Play

Many thanks to all who have commented -- and, especially, to FF and PJD for the contact details. I'll report back if there's any worthwhile response, but am not holding my breath!

I suppose one should be grateful -- and I am -- that the "fillers" we've been discussing are substantial, albeit coming out of the blue as a surprise, rather than a succession of miniatures or bleeding chunks.

Comment

Working...
              X