X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lateralthinking1
    • Jul 2024

Jack Ashley RIP

Jack Ashley dies aged 89. Memories of an era when there were a few MPs who actually did some good. Interestingly, he was elected at an older age than the ages at which both Tone and Dave became Prime Minister. A lesson there possibly.

Disabled rights campaigner Lord Ashley of Stoke dies at the age of 89 after a short battle with pneumonia.
  • aeolium
    • Nov 2010

Also one of the dying breed of MPs who came from the working class, one reason why there is little empathy with the poor and the disadvantaged in any of the main political parties: hardly any of their members have any experience of poverty.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
      Jack Ashley dies aged 89. Memories of an era when there were a few MPs who actually did some good.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-17797677

An immensely effective supporter of the disabled people's emancipation movement both as an MP and as a member of the other place.

He will be remembered and missed, especially at a time when the Government seems hell bent on pushing disabled people back into the dark ages. We should remember his example: gather your evidence and make your voice and that of millions like you heard in the corridors of power, and never give up.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post

An immensely effective supporter of the disabled people's emancipation movement both as an MP and as a member of the other place.

He will be remembered and missed, especially at a time when the Government seems hell bent on pushing disabled people back into the dark ages. We should remember his example: gather your evidence and make your voice and that of millions like you heard in the corridors of power, and never give up.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Petrushka
          • Nov 2010

I'm no fan of Ed Miliband but he strikes exactly the right note here:

"Jack Ashley turned his own tragic experience of losing his hearing into a mission of courage and determination for deaf and disabled people.

"There are many millions of men and women with disabilities who will have better lives thanks to Jack Ashley.

"He succeeded in changing the law and in changing attitudes. Anti-discrimination legislation for people with disabilities would not have happened when it did without his tenacity, his campaigning and his support..."

I read Jack Ashley's autobiography many years ago and believe he lost his hearing following a botched operation. In later years I think a cochlear implant enabled him to partially hear again.

RIP Jack Ashley.
          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Ferretfancy
            • Nov 2010

Before seeking election he worked regularly on BBC current affairs programmes such as Panorama, and he often came into the studio at Lime Grove. He was a kindly and very unassuming man. At that time he was only slightly deaf, and had not lost his power of speech. Very few individuals have worked so hard for others.

Comment

Working...
            X