Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mary Chambers
    • Nov 2010

At least brass players can play in orchestras (or bands if they're so inclined), but I wonder what happens to the brilliant pianists. Not much room at the top there.

Comment

• BBMmk2
      Late Member
      • Nov 2010

True enough Mary. There a loads of solo spots. Poor pianists!
      Don’t cry for me
      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• vinteuil
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mary Chambers View Post
        .... I wonder what happens to the brilliant pianists. Not much room at the top there.

... true; one hopes that their teachers gently bring them to an awareness of the chill realities of the professional musical world. But for a select few there is much joy to be had as a répétiteur - and some find employment teaching...

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post
          Not the parents. It is the young musicians who are encouraged to age too quickly. I believe that in many cases, the parents push too hard, to the detriment of their beloved offspring's future. A teenager is entitled to more than hour upon hour of practise, ignoring their friends and social activities. I have known too many cases of near nervous breakdowns among young musicians who have been pushed too hard and too soon to satisfy the ambitions not of themselves but of their parents.

Young musicians of talent should be competing for places at Music Colleges, in order to learn their trade (which involves much more than just an ability to play an instrument) rather than be pushed forward by their parents and tutors into this competion which can only represent a temporary triumph for a few - at the whim of the "Judges"(sic)) and heartbreak and disappointment for the rest.HS
          That is sad HS. I notice that many are boarders. In some cases their parents are living abroad. It seems that some of the teenagers often tutor younger children. They seem to have plenty of confidence.

In a world in which teenagers are far more advanced but not necessarily more mature, they do appear to be bucking the trend but I suppose we are only seeing the very successful ones.

Comment

• Panjandrum

Originally posted by Mary Chambers View Post
            At least brass players can play in orchestras (or bands if they're so inclined), but I wonder what happens to the brilliant pianists. Not much room at the top there.
            Oh, I don't know. There are plenty of chamber music groups and smaller ensembles; think Nash, Gould Piano trio, Domus, Florestan etc. If all else fails, plenty of teaching posts.

Comment

• salymap
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

I've watched it at last but that's not the way to make such a programme, much too bitty to hold my attention for long.

The youngsters all seemed brilliant to me but I agree with the comments made by HS and others.

Comment

Working...
              X