X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
    I've just seen on the news today's 7,000 in Barnstaple and 55,000 in Exeter. I'm really sorry but I just don't get it.

People are losing businesses, jobs, savings, homes, prospects, social services, pensions and libraries the length and breadth of the country. It is like the propaganda of this event has turned the public into zombies from another planet. I find it revolting.

No doubt many will say that they need a bit of escapism. Unfortunately, the harsher reality is usually local in its impacts. What we are witnessing is a B-rate pantomime. And as the four year olds' party for all ages continues, the cost of it is economic devastation. How on earth, someone with an IQ above 42 might ask, is this jamboree to be financed?

Well, my message to anyone outside their shops and homes who is in denial is just turn around. "It's behind you". Unfortunately most will still choose to clap even better than monkeys like it is 1999, 1899, 1799, 1699, 1599, 1499, 1399, 1299, 1199.

Lord help us. Will progress never be achieved?
    Its bonkers Lat.
    I get around a fair bit, in what is generally one of the more "affluent" parts of Britain.
    Today I was in Bournemouth. The town centre, or at least just off the town centre around Westover Road, was a very depressing scene. Lots of empty shop units. Everybody I spoke to was under huge pressure to keep pretty ordinary jobs.
    Compare this with the example set by the PM, who seems to exemplify the ruling classes determination to make everyone else work harder and longer for less, while they take a good full weekend of relaxation

,http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...hillaxing.html

to give them the energy to carry on telling all how it HAS to be done(and by the way, no, you can't retire till you are 70 ).
    The Olympics ....as Floss says, part of the bread and circuses thing. Although a ticket for the Premier League circus costs a fortune, and the bread is made from chemically "improved" flour.
    God help us.
    Last edited by teamsaint; 22-05-12, 00:51.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
      Its bonkers Lat.......although a ticket for the Premier League circus costs a fortune
      It's not just me then.

The Premier League - and as you know I am a critic - looks good in this light. At least people who can afford it have the choice. With the Olympics, those who can't afford it are having to pay.

Went up to the local aerodrome last week. A ten minute walk. No obvious sign yet of the promised radar satellite equipment to detect incoming Al Qaeda. Presumably when it is positioned, it will light up like a Christmas tree as soon as any glider appears. Fireworks will then go off so that the cannons on residential rooftops in London are ready to shoot it down. Sadly, Canary Wharf and Eland House are considered inappropriately placed for the use of military hardware. What with all of the balloons and selling torches on e-bay, the organisers have surprisingly forgotten to advise us all about insurance protection. How convenient. I expect that if there is any damage caused by unexpected events - and I hope there won't be - the Government will be too busy to talk.

Comment

• Flosshilde
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
        We certainly don't !
        to do it "well" you need a totalitarian regime where the penalty for being out of step is your whole family being sent to a gulag
        Perhaps I should have had an

Comment

• MrGongGong
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
          Perhaps I should have had an
          missing the :DOH:

but I got that

Comment

• 3rd Viennese School

Did I read this wrong? Did I see the decimal point in the wrong place?
            The tickets are £4500!!

£4500!! You could have a months holiday in Australia for that!

3VS

Comment

• 3rd Viennese School

And go to the moon afterwards

Comment

• Flosshilde
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by 3rd Viennese School View Post
                Did I read this wrong? Did I see the decimal point in the wrong place?
                The tickets are £4500!!

£4500!! You could have a months holiday in Australia for that!

3VS

Put like that the Olympics sound good value

Comment

Working...
                X