X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by handsomefortune View Post
    (according to yahoo), the torch is apparently up for sale on e bay already!
    Sounds like a grate idea....

Comment

• Anna

In The Guardian: According to the organisers of London 2012, the torches are worth £495 but the bearers paid only £215 for them, with London 2010 funding the difference.

A spokeswoman for London 2012 said the bearers were free to do what they wanted with the torches. "We just hope they go to a good home."

I've just looked at ebay. A person (who will run with it on the 21st) has advertised his and bids so far top £111,000. ..... if you believe they are all genuine bids and bearing in mind there are a total of 8,000 torches ..... that amount sounds very suss.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post

A spokeswoman for London 2012 said the bearers were free to do what they wanted with the torches.
        The mind boggles!

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

i feel a "suggestions " thread coming on..........
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
            i feel a "suggestions " thread coming on..........
            That would be grate too!

(No puns about jars now - Ed)

Comment

• Flosshilde
              • Nov 2010

In The Guardian: According to the organisers of London 2012, the torches are worth £495 but the bearers paid only £215 for them, with London 2010 funding the difference.

A spokeswoman for London 2012 said the bearers were free to do what they wanted with the torches. "We just hope they go to a good home."

I've just looked at ebay. A person (who will run with it on the 21st) has advertised his and bids so far top £111,000. ..... if you believe they are all genuine bids and bearing in mind there are a total of 8,000 torches ..... that amount sounds very suss.
              Oh - I thought there was only one that got handed on to each person. & they actually have to pay for them?

Somebody will say that Father Christmas & the Tooth Fairy don't exist next

When they say that the torches are 'worth' £495, what exactly do they mean? That's how much it cost to manufacture each one? Seems rather unlikely.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                Oh - I thought there was only one that got handed on to each person. & they actually have to pay for them?
                It appears the torch bearers have the option to purchase them plus the uniform. Also the limited edition aluminium bottles of Coca-Cola being handed out along the relay route as part of its role as a "presenting partner" are selling for upwards of £26.....

Comment

• MrGongGong
                  • Nov 2010

It appears the torch bearers have the option to purchase them plus the uniform. Also the limited edition aluminium bottles of Coca-Cola being handed out along the relay route as part of its role as a "presenting partner" are selling for upwards of £26.....
                  does ANYONE ??? think that this is a good idea at all ?
                  even people I know who are involved as musicians in various olympics things are cynical about the whole thing

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                    • Apr 2007

I can now die happy - I've SEEN THE TORCH!!!

Well, one of them anyway - in Newquay yesterday. Wow, absolutely fantastic The one in the waiting crowds who seemed to have it worked out was a c.2-yr old in a pushchair who slept through the lot.

I didn't go to see it: just happened to be in the vicinity for professional reasons. For one of my colleagues this was the third time he's seen a torch relay: once in Greece, once in Australia, and now - presumably best of all - England! How exciting is that???

One small point: just a few hours after it had left Lands End the d--- thing was already half an hour late. If this rate of progress is maintained the Games probably won't be opening till October
                    I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Flosshilde
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                      I can now die happy - I've SEEN THE TORCH!!!
                      Is this the same as seeing the light? :raisedeyebrow:

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                        • Apr 2007

Is this the same as seeing the light? :raisedeyebrow:
                        I certainly hope not: that's supposed to be existentially meaningful isn't it?
                        I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

I've just seen on the news today's 7,000 in Barnstaple and 55,000 in Exeter. I'm really sorry but I just don't get it.

People are losing businesses, jobs, savings, homes, prospects, social services, pensions and libraries the length and breadth of the country. It is like the propaganda of this event has turned the public into zombies from another planet. I find it revolting.

No doubt many will say that they need a bit of escapism. Unfortunately, the harsher reality is usually local in its impacts. What we are witnessing is a B-rate pantomime. And as the four year olds' party for all ages continues, the cost of it is economic devastation. How on earth, someone with an IQ above 42 might ask, is this jamboree to be financed?

Well, my message to anyone outside their shops and homes who is in denial is just turn around. "It's behind you". Unfortunately most will still choose to clap even better than monkeys like it is 1999, 1899, 1799, 1699, 1599, 1499, 1399, 1299, 1199.

Lord help us. Will progress never be achieved?
                          Last edited by Guest; 21-05-12, 23:51.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                            • Nov 2010

No, not while people are conned by bread & circuses (without the bread). We do the pageantry so well.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                              • Nov 2010

We do the pageantry so well.
                              We certainly don't !
                              to do it "well" you need a totalitarian regime where the penalty for being out of step is your whole family being sent to a gulag

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                                We certainly don't !
                                to do it "well" you need a totalitarian regime where the penalty for being out of step is your whole family being sent to a gulag
                                Wait until the joobly really gets underway!

Comment

Working...
                                X