X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

Drop the dead torch ?

Did I really hear mr Coe on the radio telling us all about how the olympic torch relay was a link back to ancient Greece ?

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

don't know, but I have some progressive ideas on how the torch might be used............!!
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Vile Consort
      • Nov 2010

I was under the impression it was a link that went no further back than the Nazis.

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Vile Consort View Post
        I was under the impression it was a link that went no further back than the Nazis.
        Has any body mentioned this to seb, do you think?
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Lord Coe is a Tory grandee with one of the worst attendance records in parliament, at less than 10 per cent, and his name appears on the division list on only five days this year, but the government relied on him to get the NHS bill through its second reading. He is a director of AMT-Sybex Group, which is the IT supplier to the NHS, and IT is one of many areas that the bill could lead to lucrative new opportunities for health contractors.

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
            Lord Coe is a Tory grandee with one of the worst attendance records in parliament, at less than 10 per cent, and his name appears on the division list on only five days this year, but the government relied on him to get the NHS bill through its second reading. He is a director of AMT-Sybex Group, which is the IT supplier to the NHS, and IT is one of many areas that the bill could lead to lucrative new opportunities for health contractors.
            Yeah, but he is a great bloke , right? Right?

Good info Lat, thanks for that.

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post

,,,and the torch is not going through the heart of the constituency which voted him out in 1997!

Comment

• Segilla
                • Nov 2010

And how many other Lords, MPs - and their respective wives and relatives will profit from 'lucrative new opportunities for health contractors'?

Comment

• MrGongGong
                  • Nov 2010

So as with Gove
                  is ANYONE ? actually in favour of this nonsense ?

Comment

• mangerton
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                    So as with Gove
                    is ANYONE ? actually in favour of this nonsense ?

I'm certainly not. I'll be in Somerset when the torch visits Dundee. Some people might think that travelling 450 miles to avoid the nonsense surrounding the torch is (literally!) going too far, but I don't think so. See the "inanimate objects" thread for more details.

Comment

• EnemyoftheStoat
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post

One of the most boring people I have ever met.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
                        I'm certainly not. I'll be in Somerset when the torch visits Dundee. Some people might think that travelling 450 miles to avoid the nonsense surrounding the torch is (literally!) going too far, but I don't think so. See the "inanimate objects" thread for more details.
                        Shame on you mangerton for adding to the damn thing's already enormous carbon footprint!

It seems to be seeking the longest distance between Lands End and London, a bit like school cross country: the longest distance between one point
                        I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                          Shame on you mangerton for adding to the damn thing's already enormous carbon footprint!

It seems to be seeking the longest distance between Lands End and London, a bit like school cross country: the longest distance between one point
                          The longest distance between no point, it seems to me...

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

if they had asked one of the queens slaves, sorry servants, to carry the torch, wouldn't that have saved a lot of hassle, and duplication?

The old girl is in town tomorrow. Yup, a whole 35 minutes with her subjects, unveil a plaque so we can all remember it in years to come, and back home to feed the corgis.

And good old Wiltshire council ("where everybody natters") is paying for 4000 flags to give away. Brilliant.

And, (I am not making this up) the traffic chaos was in full swing today at 4.00 pm.(shutting off roads without warning or notice does that pretty effectively !)

Comment

• MrGongGong
                              • Nov 2010

If you thought Maestro at the Opera was a bad gig
                              try this

Comment

Working...
                              X