X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mahlerei
    • Oct 2024

Bahrain GP

I'm surprised this is going ahead on the advice of a certain Mr Yates, formerly of the Yard. I saw an interview with Bernie Ecclestone, who seemed laughably vague about what's happening in Bahrain. Perhaps the fact that the country's Royal family owns a sizeable chunk of McLaren might have something to do with it.

Sport is not separate from politics and to pretend otherwise is just naive. The real prix are the ones who are allowing this event to take place.
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mahlerei View Post
    I'm surprised this is going ahead on the advice of a certain Mr Yates, formerly of the Yard. I saw an interview with Bernie Ecclestone, who seemed laughably vague about what's happening in Bahrain. Perhaps the fact that the country's Royal family owns a sizeable chunk of McLaren might have something to do with it.

Sport is not separate from politics and to pretend otherwise is just naive. The real prix are the ones who are allowing this event to take place.
    Grand Prix fan here but I agree with you, it shouldn't be happening.
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• handsomefortune

though not a grand prix fan in the slightest, but agree 100% Sport is not separate from politics and to pretend otherwise is just naive.

really dangerous, and irresponsible about the lives of others by the looks.

unfortunately, the influence of politics isn't a subjective pov, or 'optional' ..... it's something we all always have to take into account. the same sentiment applies generally - we have to accept that politics influences all sorts of aspects of life - (including the arts of course).

yet, people like to say 'oh that's too political' ....imagine saying the same about fruit: 'oh that's too apple' ....! politics just is, .... like it or lump it.

politics is often tedious admittedly, but it always exists. historically, it's notoriously dangerous to pretend otherwise.

but as this probably wont DIRECTLY affect the life-span/wellbeing of mr yates, and friends - they'd suggest this thread's 'too political' instead - as a typically witless, introverted, irresponsible retort!

Comment

• Mahlerei

Cameron says 'Bahrain isn't Syria'. But is shows every sign of going the same way.

Comment

• vinteuil
          • Nov 2010

Sport is not separate from politics and to pretend otherwise is just naive. .
          ... of course. The Bahraini royals want to host the F1 for political reasons - to demonstrate what a jolly modern state etc they are

There is, therefore, an argument for hoping that the F1 will take place in Bahrain - so that the 'Western' etc journalists who tag along to see it may get some insight into the workings of Bahrain. There wd be a nice irony if the F1 in Bahrain, designed to show a happy modern country, served to expose a less comfortable reality that their royal family wd prefer to remain obscured...

Comment

• MrGongGong
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by handsomefortune View Post
            though not a grand prix fan in the slightest, but agree 100% Sport is not separate from politics and to pretend otherwise is just naive.

!
            indeed as daft as the "Music has nothing to do with politics" nonsense we hear at times from the LPO et al

Comment

• handsomefortune

can't the drivers do the race slowly, and in reverse as a protest? or maybe try to 'win' the race simultaneously reaching the finish?! ultimately, it doesn't do much for the image of f1 - having stopped advertising ciggies, it's now got roped into this massive mess.

the more 'the usual suspects' try to compartmentalise things as 'separate' the more ludicrous the mentality, and usually the greater the risk to others simultaneously. but let's hope vintuel's point, that the car race may actually attract world attention to the hypocrisy of bahrain royalty, achieved, against the odds.

internationally speaking, isn't the image of british police working abroad ...(and probably at home) also at risk? in view of the particularly high profile of 'the leveson inquiry', people abroad might just suspect that 'total scoundrels from the met migrate to lucrative posts in dodgey regimes' ... but then, that's 'the bigger picture' - and those in bahrain are only doing the small, postage stamp size & perspective sadly, with typically selfish, short term objectives.

Comment

• amateur51

Cameron says 'Bahrain isn't Syria'.
                I do hope that it was William Hague who prepared that briefing - if it was Mrs May I'll be reaching for my globe

Is poor Theresa in danger of becoming the Shirley Williams of this government? Story was that during the discussions around the launch of the SDP a meeting was announced and Perth was to be the venue. It was only the quick thinking of some SDP child that prevented the dear lady from getting on a plane to the anitpodes

Comment

• aeolium
                  • Nov 2010

internationally speaking, isn't the image of british police working abroad ...(and probably at home) also at risk? in view of the particularly high profile of 'the leveson inquiry', people abroad might just suspect that 'total scoundrels from the met migrate to lucrative posts in dodgey regimes' ... but then, that's 'the bigger picture' - and those in bahrain are only doing the small, postage stamp size & perspective sadly, with typically selfish, short term objectives.
                  Yates apparently said after taking up his post in Bahrain, 'kettling would work really well here'. It makes one wonder whether someone who is keen to work for a regime that injures and kills protesters and arrests and tortures doctors that treat them was really a suitable person to be in charge of policing major demonstrations in this country.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

A family friend is a part of the team that prepares all the sites for the races. As it is his work, he had no option but to go. My only opinion is that all those in Parliament have a duty to ensure that people having to attend get back safely.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
                      My only opinion is that all those in Parliament have a duty to ensure that people having to attend get back safely.
                      what ?
                      Surely it's not up to the government to do this
                      it's not as if its a disaster that has engulfed them ........ more like a predictable car crash in slow motion

sometimes you make your choices and have to live with the consequences

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                        what ?
                        Surely it's not up to the government to do this
                        it's not as if its a disaster that has engulfed them ........ more like a predictable car crash in slow motion

sometimes you make your choices and have to live with the consequences
                        Well I believe that some Britons holidaying in Majorca ring the British Embassy if they have forgotten where they parked their 4 X 4. And Bernie has forked out enough to expect that a Miliband brother might speak to Dave if necessary.

Comment

• Mr Pee
                          • Nov 2010

Well it certainly was a cracking race, really tremendous- and Bahrain has previously been one of the more boring circuits. I would love Raikonnen to have won, and I think he knows he missed his chance to overtake Vettel. McLaren really need to sort out their pitstop issues though......

Four different winners from four different teams in the first four races- this season's is developing into a classic.
                          Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                          X