• amateur51
    • Oct 2024

Alan Hacker has died

Clarinettist Alan Hacker died on Tuesday 16 April aged 73

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Sad news: a great Musician.

Veiled Wave 2 for solo clarinet (1985) is performed by Alan Hacker at Dartington Summer School. In this performance, slightly edited to fit the 10 minute you...
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Hornspieler

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
      Very sad news indeed. I knew Alan before he suffered a disability which confined him to a wheechair for the rest of his life.
      An expert player on all single reed instruments, he fought off his disabilities to continue playing - aided, as I recall, by his daughter who became his means of transport to various engagements. His determination not to give in to physical adversity is a lesson to us all.

RIP

Comment

• MrGongGong
        • Nov 2010

That's very sad , he was a wonderful player and inspiration to many

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
          • Nov 2010

Very sad news. RIP.

Comment

• aeolium
            • Nov 2010

I remember the excitement of hearing him perform the Mozart quintet in the edition for basset clarinet which he had prepared, giving the work quite a different character. It's difficult now for me to listen to the work played on the standard clarinet and it was an example of Hacker's pioneering work especially for clarinettists. RIP.

Comment

• ostuni
              • Nov 2010

Yes, very sad. He was an inspiring teacher (I learnt a huge amount from him at the Wavendon Easter courses in the early 70s), and, of course, an extraordinay player. I was a bit of a Fires of London/Matrix groupie at that time, and heard him live on many occasions. Yes, of course, he could play higher and louder than almost anyone else at the time - but he could also produce the softest playing of the utmost tenderness.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

One person who will be very sad to hear this news is the otherwise jazz clarinettist Tony Coe, with whom he shared duties in the group Matrix.

Comment

Working...
                X