X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gurnemanz
    • Nov 2010

Bert Weedon has died

The BBC has just announced the death at 91 of the guitar maestro, Bert Weedon, who inspired Eric Clapton and many others. I well remember his contributions to Saturday Club, Auntie Beeb's only pop music show in the early Sixties.
  • mercia
    • Nov 2010

ah yes, we had the 7" Top Rank label Apache on the record shelf at home
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
    Last edited by mercia; 20-04-12, 19:11.

Comment

• ostuni
      • Nov 2010

I'm sure I'm not the only one here whose first steps in guitar playing were guided by his Play in a Day. A huge influence.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by ostuni View Post
        I'm sure I'm not the only one here whose first steps in guitar playing were guided by his Play in a Day. A huge influence.
        Unfortunately, being naturally left-handed, I found that Bert's guidance & encouragement on various children's TV programmes of the 1950s and 60s did not lead me to guitar proficiency ... but I enjoyed trying
        Last edited by Guest; 20-04-12, 10:42. Reason: trypo

Comment

• 3rd Viennese School

I had a cassette done by him on the Chevron Label.

(Remember that label?)

3VS

Comment

• Chris Newman
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

Bert was a phenomenally brilliant guitarist. I'm afraid I did not stick at Bert's Play in a Day. After a week I became a wimp not liking the blisters and painful cuts that Bert had not mentioned went with guitar playing.

One incident sticks in my memories of children's television in the days when most programmes were broadcast live. Desmond Morris was the presenter and the programme seemed to mix talented personalities with wild animals. So at one point Bert was proudly demonstrating a beautiful new guitar (acoustic) which he said had cost him a fortune. The programme also included George Cansdale (the Zoo man) who had for years done programmes like this before the Morrises (Desmond and the unrelated Johnny) took over. Cansdale sat behind Bert with a huge golden eagle perched on his wrist. Embarrassingly the eagle did not appear like the music and flew straight onto the guitar with Cansdale still attached. The programme quickly changed topic but you could still hear Bert and George in the background. Bert just about managed to avoid swearing. Next day the press said that the guitar was a write-off and had to be replaced.

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Chris Newman View Post
              Bert was a phenomenally brilliant guitarist. I'm afraid I did not stick at Bert's Play in a Day. After a week I became a wimp not liking the blisters and painful cuts that Bert had not mentioned went with guitar playing.

One incident sticks in my memories of children's television in the days when most programmes were broadcast live. Desmond Morris was the presenter and the programme seemed to mix talented personalities with wild animals. So at one point Bert was proudly demonstrating a beautiful new guitar (acoustic) which he said had cost him a fortune. The programme also included George Cansdale (the Zoo man) who had for years done programmes like this before the Morrises (Desmond and the unrelated Johnny) took over. Cansdale sat behind Bert with a huge golden eagle perched on his wrist. Embarrassingly the eagle did not appear like the music and flew straight onto the guitar with Cansdale still attached. The programme quickly changed topic but you could still hear Bert and George in the background. Bert just about managed to avoid swearing. Next day the press said that the guitar was a write-off and had to be replaced.
              Puts Parky and Emu into perspective, is that why Bert was never an Eagles fan despite their great guitar work!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Chris Newman View Post

Hopefully Bert had a claws in the insurance to cover for hidden talons.

I always felt he had a most unfortunate surname.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Unfortunately I did my learning with Ulf Goran. Had it been Bert Weedon, I might not have been where I am today. I am sorry to hear this news. He has never featured in my record collection but he was a very good musician and will be missed by many.

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                    The BBC has just announced the death at 91 of the guitar maestro, Bert Weedon, who inspired Eric Clapton and many others. I well remember his contributions to Saturday Club, Auntie Beeb's only pop music show in the early Sixties.
                    ..and better than most of the stuff that's on now, particularly on Saturday mornings at 10.00am!

Comment

• Chris Newman
                      Late Member
                      • Nov 2010

QUOTE=Serial_Apologist;152854]Hopefully Bert had a claws in the insurance to cover for hidden talons.

I always felt he had a most unfortunate surname.[/QUOTE]

Comment

• gurnemanz
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                        ..and better than most of the stuff that's on now, particularly on Saturday mornings at 10.00am!
                        Acker Bilk....... say no more.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by 3rd Viennese School View Post
                          I had a cassette done by him on the Chevron Label.

(Remember that label?)

3VS
                          Yes! Available from Tescos and Woolworth's (remember that label?!) in the '70s. In addition to LPs and Cassettes, you could also get "Stereo8-Track Cartridge" format.
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• 3rd Viennese School

Woolworths had their own label?

Oh, ang on, it was the Aspects one wasnt it. Classical. Haydn symphony no.100 and 101 and all that.

3VS

Comment

• Chris Newman
                              Late Member
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by 3rd Viennese School View Post
                              Woolworths had their own label?

Oh, ang on, it was the Aspects one wasnt it. Classical. Haydn symphony no.100 and 101 and all that.

3VS
                              The well known Woolworth's label was Embassy. It mostly had cover recordings made with people like John Lennon, David Bowie, Pearl Carr and Teddy Johnson and Elton John.Here are some of its records.

Vocal gems from the film "GIGI" - The Embassy Players & Singers

Vocal gems from "My Fair Lady" - The Embassy Singers & Orchestra

Mary's Boy Child/A Night to Remember - Bob Dale

Exodus (Main Theme)/Calcutta - Jacques Leroy and his Orchestra

Bobby's Girl/James (Hold the ladder steady) - Kay Barry

Gurney Slade - Steve Stannard and his Group/The Green leaves of Summer - The Tonettes

Good Luck Charm/I'm looking out of the window - Bobby Stevens

Kon-Tiki - Bud Ashton/That's my Home - Happy Knights Jazz Band

Theme for a Dream - Don Duke/ Are you Sure - Don Duke & Bobby Stevens

Walk on by/Rock-a-hula Baby - Paul Rich

Roses are Red - Paul Rich/Guitar Tango - Bud Ashton

Get Lost - Don Duke/Walkin' back to Happiness - Jean Campbell

Secret Love - Joan Baxter/Maria Elena - Bud Ashton & his Group

Peppermint Twist - Bobby Stevens/Crying in the Rain -
                              Bobby Stevens & Redd Wayne

Hats off to Larry/Jealousy - Russ Vincent

A little love, A little kiss/ I can't stop loving you - Paul Rich

Theme from Z Cars/Theme from Dr Kildare - James Wright & his Orchestra

Apache/Because They're Young - Bud Ashton

Here is the complete catalogue

There was a classical selection with amazingly named continental orchestras and conductors. It seems to have disappeared from the web. I expect someone got worried about copyright .

Comment

Working...
                              X