What should the government really be doing right now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rauschwerk
    • Nov 2010

Certainly not any of this trivial rubbish:-

Anxious to appease true-blue Conservatives angry at George Osborne's botched Budget, ministers have been ordered to serve up right-wing policies

I suggest:-

Bringing in an immediate ban on those neonicotinoid insecticides which may be threatening our bee population;

Producing an urgent response, in the form of a green or white paper, to the report (now more than a year old) of the Dilnot commission on Funding of Care and Support.

Any other suggestions?

It has been well said recently that the current crop of politicians are good at politics but lousy at government.
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

One would hope () that Cleggers might wake up and realise that if you sleep with dogs etc etc

not much chance though.......

Given the current climate if I really wrote what I think they should do on the internet I would probably be sent down !

Comment

• aeolium
      • Nov 2010

Actually, rather than recommending any positive actions by the government, simply not doing many of the things they are intending to do would be hugely beneficial, for instance:

* severely reducing eligibility for legal aid so that justice is even more a preserve of the wealthy than it already is
      * seeking to increase the number of juryless courts
      * increasing private firm involvement in education and health
      * anything to do with PFI which is enormously more costly than paying via government borrowing
      * renewing the pointless Trident system
      * the HS2 scheme which will be affordable only by wealthy businessmen and VIPs - abandon this and divert the investment to the whole train network
      * cutting the numbers of HMRC staff, which should be expanded to tackle the huge problem of individual and corporate tax evasion/avoidance
      etc, etc

I suppose governments have to do something and I agree about the neonicotinoid ban and would add scrapping or greatly revising the lopsided extradition treaty with the USA and the very flawed European Arrest Warrant.

Comment

• rauschwerk
        • Nov 2010

Agreed 100%, aeolium!

Comment

• Pabmusic
          • May 2011

What should the government really be doing right now? Resigning.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
            What should the government really be doing right now? Resigning.
            Well, it's certainly high time the Libs dissociated themselves from Tory policies, supporting which by association will not be in the favour in any forthcoming elections, local and mayoral, in the London case, notwithstanding the respect many probably have for Paddick.

Cameron seems firmly set on a "return to Victorian values" mission right now. Children should stand up when adults enter a room, anybody? He obviously forgot to add, "and be seen but not heard".

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
              Governing?

Comment

• mangerton
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                Cameron seems firmly set on a "return to Victorian values" mission right now. Children should stand up when adults enter a room, anybody? He obviously forgot to add, "and be seen but not heard".
                Victorian values? What he'll add is, "and head straight for the chimney. Here's your brush."

Comment

• vinteuil
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
                  Victorian values? What he'll add is, "and head straight for the chimney. Here's your brush."
                  ... ho no. Workers are expected to provide their own brushes. What do you think this is - a nanny state which provides ten year olds with their own brushes???

Comment

• mangerton
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
                    Actually, rather than recommending any positive actions by the government, simply not doing many of the things they are intending to do would be hugely beneficial, for instance:

* cutting the numbers of HMRC staff, which should be expanded to tackle the huge problem of individual and corporate tax evasion/avoidance
                    etc, etc
                    Numbers are being cut, except for this: http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/press_46_10.htm

Comment

• mangerton
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                      ... ho no. Workers are expected to provide their own brushes. What do you think this is - a nanny state which provides ten year olds with their own brushes???
                      Good point vinteuil. Apologies.

But if I may say so, ten seems a bit old to be starting work. Many four or five year olds are well able to go up a chimney.

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by aeolium View Post

* severely reducing eligibility for legal aid so that justice is even more a preserve of the wealthy than it already is
                        * seeking to increase the number of juryless courts
                        * increasing private firm involvement in education and health
                        * anything to do with PFI which is enormously more costly than paying via government borrowing
                        * renewing the pointless Trident system
                        * the HS2 scheme which will be affordable only by wealthy businessmen and VIPs - abandon this and divert the investment to the whole train network
                        etc, etc

I suppose governments have to do something and I agree about the neonicotinoid ban and would add scrapping or greatly revising the lopsided extradition treaty with the USA and the very flawed European Arrest Warrant.
                        Great ideas......although a little quibble, I would divert some of the HS2 money to buses and other tram type systems as well.
                        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
                        X