Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51

Originally posted by JFLL View Post
    What taste! He's gone right back up in my estimation now. His reputation was rather dented when I learnt that once at a party he peed out of the window of the top-floor flat of the house we live in. Haven't applied for the blue plaque yet.
    Please tell us you were living in Staines at the time

Comment

• umslopogaas
      • Nov 2010

In the school cadet force annual inspection I had my boots inspected by Field Marshall Montgomery. But it hardly counts as an encounter, he passed without comment. I think Monty had seen a lot of boots.

I did shake hands and exchange a few words with Lord Denning, when he presented me with a book as a school prize. The book was E.V. Watson's 'British Mosses and Liverworts'; unsurprisingly, his lordship didnt know much about the subject, indeed I seem to recall he didnt even know there were such things as liverworts. He probably thought it was what you got from drinking too much port. Sixteen year old know-all that I was, I'm sure I was able to enlighten him.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
        ... I had just acquired the harmonium. I think I was fumbling through some Bach organ works transcr for piano duet. Tippett had dropped by for tea
        Your dad a Police Station Sergeant was he, vindoux? Or a prison warder?

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
          You are just soooo nonchalant, vindoux

(Great story. But are you prepared to reveal why he had "dropped by"? Surely not just to get his hands on your instrument? )
          I heard ff starting up her new robot and sliding it into preventative mode

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            Jo Brand did that televised fundraiser in which she performed the famous Bach Toccata & Fugue at the RAH. I asked her if it was the first time she'd got her hands on someone's organ - to which she dolefully replied, "Oh they all try that one on with me".
            She's in grave danger of becoming a National treasure, that one. Shift your great fundament, Stephen Fry

Comment

• vinteuil
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
              Your dad a Police Station Sergeant was he, vindoux? Or a prison warder?
              .... chronology, Ams, chronology!

Tippett's encounters with prison etc were during the 1939-45 unpleasantness.

In the 1960s he was ensconced in a fine house in Corsham, where he was attached to the Bath Academy of Art. As was my pa...

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                .... he was attached to the Bath Academy of Art. As was my pa...
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by umslopogaas View Post
                  In the school cadet force annual inspection I had my boots inspected by Field Marshall Montgomery. But it hardly counts as an encounter, he passed without comment. I think Monty had seen a lot of boots.

I did shake hands and exchange a few words with Lord Denning, when he presented me with a book as a school prize. The book was E.V. Watson's 'British Mosses and Liverworts'; unsurprisingly, his lordship didnt know much about the subject, indeed I seem to recall he didnt even know there were such things as liverworts. He probably thought it was what you got from drinking too much port. Sixteen year old know-all that I was, I'm sure I was able to enlighten him.

Comment

• ardcarp
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

May I insert (nudge, wink) into this heady mix of name- and pant- dropping that I once played a jews harp duet in the bath with The Queen Mother?

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                      May I insert (nudge, wink) into this heady mix of name- and pant- dropping that I once played a jews harp duet in the bath with The Queen Mother?
                      No, I daren't ask but do tell .........

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

Is this a euphemism, ardy?
                        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                          You really are going to have to elaborate, ardcarp... please!!!!!
                          "...the isle is full of noises,
                          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• JFLL
                            • Jan 2011

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                            Please tell us you were living in Staines at the time
                            No, alas. (It should have been at Piddledown in Devon, I guess.)

Comment

• umslopogaas
                              • Nov 2010

Tush, geography! The Piddle is in Dorset, flowing through both Piddlehinton and Piddletrenthide. There is no Piddledown in Devon in my road atlas.

Could have been at Pishill in Oxford, of course.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by umslopogaas View Post
                                Tush, geography! The Piddle is in Dorset, flowing through both Piddlehinton and Piddletrenthide. There is no Piddledown in Devon in my road atlas.

Could have been at Pishill in Oxford, of course.
                                Oh lawks, what have I started?

Comment

Working...
                                X