• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gamba
    Late member
    • Dec 2010

Meeting With an Icon

1967, aboard the ' Queen Mary ' from Southampton to New York & back to record something of the atmosphere, people & activities during her penultimate voyage.
    Oh dear, what people ! Bankers, financiers, CEOs from massive international institutions etc. etc. - that's only the men. The women were dripping diamonds, pearls, works of art of all kinds hanging around their necks. Margaret Dumont lookalikes all over the place ! Graucho, Harpo, where were you ! You should have been there !!
    One morning walking on a near deserted deck am aware of someone approaching from opposite direction. Suddenly realise I know the face & have done so for years. This is incredible, almost unbelieveable ! He approaches, smiles, & to our mutual astonishment we realise we are both carrying identical 'stills' cameras around our necks, top of the range Nikon F models. This is good reason to talk photography, so we seat ourselves comfortably & talk & talk, lenses, filters, subject matter, photographers etc. We don't always agree but come together on Edward Weston & Ansel Adams. Evetually, we both decide it's time to move & hope to continue again another time but not before I have had a promise of an interview for the film from him.
    Next day, interview over, he asks for & gets a ' conducted tour ' of the film camera, a 16mm. Arriflex BL - I then let him play with it himself, pretending to film the rest of us.
    We meet accidentally & briefly again, I would have liked to have been able to talk of other matters but somehow the opportunity didn't really present itself.

His presence was quite remarkable & unusual. Within a few moments from when we first spoke I felt we had known each other all our lives, we were ' family.' He exuded great warmth & friendliness such as I have rarely experienced before, certainly not with a newly met stranger.

I am & always will be, grateful for the experience of sharing an hour or so with someone so remarkable in so many ways, far too many to list here.

His name; Yehudi Menuhin
  • amateur51

Originally posted by gamba View Post

His name; Yehudi Menuhin
    I've said this before gamba and I'm saying it again - a wonderful tale beautifully told
    Last edited by Guest; 19-04-12, 13:15. Reason: shortening

Comment

• salymap
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Bravo Gamba, keep 'em coming - please

Comment

• handsomefortune

beautifully told

agreed amatuer51!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gamba View Post

... Yehudi Menuhin
          Top anecdote, gamba!
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• rubbernecker

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
            Top anecdote, gamba!
            Even better than your encounter with Muhammed Ali at the urinal, Calibs!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Agreed: another wonderful memory, beautifully told.
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
                Even better than your encounter with Muhammed Ali at the urinal, Calibs!
                Not at the urinal... I had been to the gents, and then encountered Mr Ali lost in the corridors (at the Savoy) whereupon we navigated our way back to the lobby...
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• rubbernecker

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                  Not at the urinal... I had been to the gents, and then encountered Mr Ali lost in the corridors whereupon we navigated our way back to the lobby...

...oh, sorry, forgive my embellishment. And I excitedly told you how I had just had an encounter with Sir John Mills whom I had reunited with his pill box, and you said "f... that, rubbers, I have just shaken hands with a world icon." Or something along those lines...

Comment

• Anna

I spent an evening with Julian Lennon, that was really nice, I also spent an evening with Robert Plant, I shared a taxi with Vernon Handley, I have met Ronnie Wood. It's life, it happens. Life happens. That's it. Youi cannot dine out on it!

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                      I spent an evening with Julian Lennon, that was really nice, I also spent an evening with Robert Plant, I shared a taxi with Vernon Handley, I have met Ronnie Wood. It's life, it happens. Life happens. That's it. Youi cannot dine out on it!
                      Not with me you can't! I 've only heard of one of your four.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                        Lordy you could build and maintain a career as an After-Dinner Speaker of Renown in Abertillery with a celeb list like that, Anna

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

I bumped into David Hockney at the world premiere of Birtwistle's Gawain.

... errr ...

that's it.

(Lacks the elegance and eloquence of Gamba's OP, rather. )
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Anna

But, it's between me and them ... Private ...

Comment

• handsomefortune

that's a phrase and a half about 'dineing out' on personal encounters.

Handley recalled Boult telling him, "Do remember, won't you, that you are playing to the blind man in the audience.

in terms of approach - not the all powerful zoom lens up the nostril of today then!

Comment

Working...
                              X