• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kernelbogey
    • Nov 2010

Should we have a 'Techie' forum?

A couple of threads running on Platform Three

Which are the best headphones for excluding external sound ?
    Apart from going to Argos and buying the one with the most buttons....
    contain a lot of useful information which I don't need now but which might be useful in the near future when I come to update equipment. There have been other threads on accessing internet radio, satellite transmissions etc.

It would be great if all such were more easily found in an equipment/Techie FORUM (or Sub-Forum).
    Last edited by kernelbogey; 16-04-12, 13:00. Reason: Doh!
  • kernelbogey
    • Nov 2010

Oh b****r, I meant Forum, not thread. Could someone please correct the thread heading (as I believe I can't)?

Comment

• Flosshilde
      • Nov 2010

Good idea

But perhaps it could be sub-divided - between responses that normal people can understand, & responses that need a higher degree in tech-speak to understand

Comment

• MrGongGong
        • Nov 2010

what's a "normal" person ?

Can we also then have a talking about music forum that actually discusses the sound it makes ?
        today I wrote a piece that had a section that was a perfect example (though I say so myself !) of

unintervalic-non-hierarchical-pan-diatonicism so had to decide a nominal "key" for it to be in ............ Why on earth do orchestral musicians get scared of a "key" signature that is just Bb,Ab,Gb ? It's not that I invented the whole tone scale now is it

Comment

• kernelbogey
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
          [...]Can we also then have a talking about music forum that actually discusses the sound it makes ? [...]
          Well I'm sure if Ms Frank lets me have my Forum, you can have one two Mr GG.

Comment

• Flosshilde
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
            what's a "normal" person ?
            Well, clearly not you, Mr GG

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Techie board now opened, bottom of the homepage, in the newly named Technical Forum (including the current 'Forum: how to' board).

Existing threads can be moved over as and when they come to the attention of anyone who can move them (me or Host).
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Just to add a point, which ties up with Flossie's: many questions are asked by non-techie people who need very basic help. There is an advantage in putting such questions in the way of the widest audience. There will need to be a certain amount of vigilance to ensure that people are redirected (with a link?) to the Techie Board if they ask questions that have already been discussed as they may not think to look there.

It's unfortunate that the board is at the bottom, but something has to be. And actually, perhaps it should be Platform 3 at the bottom - on the grounds that as it's the most popular people will always seek it out?
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
                X