Are you a friend of the BBC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VodkaDilc

I agree that BBC local radio is unique, so that should be added to the "keep" list - and World Service, I suppose. (Though with a few doubts about whether we need to provide it in the 21st century!)
    Last edited by Guest; 16-04-12, 21:04.

Comment

• MrGongGong
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
      I agree that BBC local radio is unique, so that should be added to the "keep" list - and World Service, I suppose. (Though with a few doubts about whether we need to provide in in the 21st century!)
      Absolutely not IMV
      Local radio is uniquely awful
      whereas the World Service is wonderful

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
        Absolutely not IMV
        well I beg to differ MrGG.

certainly there are area of wilderness on local radio. However sports coverage is a real lifeline for a lot of people.(you wont get live coverage of AFC Bournemouth anywhere else). Radio Solent also has a presenter called Paul Miller, who does a late slot. He has a style and tone that is perfect for the loyal audience that he finds.....maybe not an audience of people like you and I, but people for whom he is a really special connection with the world.

mind you, lots of the presenters are absolute idiots, so perhaps the stations could be cut back to a dozen hours a week !!
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Simon

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post

But more than anything, I mistrust the BBC because of its news .

Other people have said that the BBC is a trusted news source, but I ... really don't see it that way.

Their coverage is FAR too often dominated by the agendas being pushed by the government of the day. There is far too much important news, and too many issues, including many from abroad, that never see the light of day on BBC news.

... for example, financial news is too often about the banks or the city, and too infrequently about working conditions for the vulnerable, or the environmental effects of globalisation, or the increasing gap between rich and poor or............well you know all the others.
          Ah, so you want the BBC to become more trustworthy by concentrating on the stories that YOU think are important...

Actually, if you lsten to R4, you'll find that all these stories are covered, alomg with a multitude of others.

yet we never hear the end of the footsie 100
          Well, to the extent that the major world stockmarket movements are quoted a couple of times a day for a few seconds, anyway...

or how pension rights HAVE to be cut.

I think that if you listen to the coverage, you'll find that the BBC reports what the government is doing along with opposing views about what others think it should/shouldn't be doing. I think that it would be grossly unfair to fail to report what is planned as regards our pensions... wouldn't it?

Comment

• Simon

Absolutely
            Left to "the market" we would loose many things that we value greatly
            The fact that GongGong and I are for once in absolute agreement must surely mean that we are right.

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Simon View Post
              Ah, so you want the BBC to become more trustworthy by concentrating on the stories that YOU think are important...

Actually, if you lsten to R4, you'll find that all these stories are covered, alomg with a multitude of others.

Well, to the extent that the major world stockmarket movements are quoted a couple of times a day for a few seconds, anyway...

I think that if you listen to the coverage, you'll find that the BBC reports what the government is doing along with opposing views about what others think it should/shouldn't be doing. I think that it would be grossly unfair to fail to report what is planned as regards our pensions... wouldn't it?
              er, no, i think the BBC should report stories that ARE important.

when I do listen to R4 news, it seems to concentrate to an astonishing extent on UK party politics, and fails to cover the sorts of issues that I mentioned.

The people who are slashing pensions(politicians from all parties) are the people placing the news stories.....not a good situation.
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

is it good value for money?
                I am not sure, and am open to be convinced.
                it receives huge funding . what does it actually produce, pound for pound?

the BBC loves to tell us its great value for money, but I remain unconvinced.
                40p per day.

I repeat: 40p per day

for:

The Proms, CDReview, CotW, the Early Music Show, Hear & Now, The Essay, JLU, Late Junction, Just a Minute, ISIHaC, The News Quiz, The Killing, Inside the Mediaeval Mind, The Heart of Britain, BBC4, Doctor Who, HIGNFY, Countryfile, Gardeners' World, University Challenge, Pointless, Building Our Past, Natural World, David Attenburgh, Horizon, Arena, Modern Spies, Local News, Local Radio, BBC Alba, S4C, The World Service, Sport, r4Extra - etc etc etc, FOR A MEASLY 40 RUDDY PENCE A DAY.

Name one, that's all, ONE that could be purchased anywhere else for less. (Less than 40p a day that is, in case I hadn't made myself clear!)

"Pound per Pound"? No, teamy: PENNY PER PENNY!
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                  40p per day.

I repeat: 40p per day

for:

The Proms, CDReview, CotW, the Early Music Show, Hear & Now, The Essay, JLU, Late Junction, Just a Minute, ISIHaC, The News Quiz, The Killing, Inside the Mediaeval Mind, The Heart of Britain, BBC4, Doctor Who, HIGNFY, Countryfile, Gardeners' World, University Challenge, Pointless, Building Our Past, Natural World, David Attenburgh, Horizon, Arena, Modern Spies, Local News, Local Radio, BBC Alba, S4C, The World Service, Sport, r4Extra - etc etc etc, FOR A MEASLY 40 RUDDY PENCE A DAY.

Name one, that's all, ONE that could be purchased anywhere else for less. (Less than 40p a day that is, in case I hadn't made myself clear!)

"Pound per Pound"? No, teamy: PENNY PER PENNY!
                  Just asking, Ferney !!
                  Total income is in the region of £3.6 Bn PA.

Depends which way you look at it, really.
                  I would say that for the £3.6 billion they produce 2 full TV channels, and 2 part time.
                  Radio, including world service is a small part of the budget.

A long list of shows that we like (and I can also produce one ) is not a validation of the way £3.6 bn is spent.
                  I really am just asking the question, but there IS a lot of money over spent.
                  Alan Hansen £40k a show. Things like that.
                  And don't get me started on Jonathan Ross ...!!

and on reflection, perhaps the license fee should go up . Maybe if we increased it to 50 p a day we could have real, vibrant , independent news. All the proms live on TV. Live football. Proper music before mid day.Comedy you can laugh at. Movies less than 5 years old.F1. Radio station message boards.

But whatever it costs, and whatever they provide, we deserve it to be of the best. And I am not sure that it is.
                  Last edited by teamsaint; 16-04-12, 22:49.

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

er, no, i think the BBC should report stories that ARE important.

when I do listen to R4 news, it seems to concentrate to an astonishing extent on UK party politics, and fails to cover the sorts of issues that I mentioned.

The people who are slashing pensions(politicians from all parties) are the people placing the news stories.....not a good situation.
                    There is a lot of bandwagon jumping, lazy newsgathering around. Why is it that so little is added during the day to what is in breakfast news summaries - has nothing happened or has nobody got off their backsides to go and find out and why when something does happen, the BBc cannot trust the regional news to cover but has to have a duplicate team going out to cover it.
                    How much of Ferney's 40p is spent on relocation/travel expenses from the home counites to Greater Manchester?

Comment

• MrGongGong
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                      How much of Ferney's 40p is spent on relocation/travel expenses from the home counites to Greater Manchester?
                      Hardly something to criticise IMV
                      that's a one off cost
                      It is meant to be the B.....BC and Salford is very much part of Britain last time I looked (and the birthplace of ......... etc etc etc )

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

Absolutely not IMV
                        Maybe in your part of the country and for your tastes and needs Local radio is uniquely awful, it is not the case throughout the UK. The World Service may be wonderful but are you including BBC TV abroad - what I've seen of it is very narrow and bland!

Comment

• Chris Newman
                          Late Member
                          • Nov 2010

Angelic Voices:The Choristers of Salisbury Cathedral, and some that have been around a bit but all came from the BBC: Dad's Army, Secret Army, Allo Allo, ToTP, Old Grey Whistle Test, Mastermind, Secrets of the Lost Gardens, BBC Young Musician, Tinker Tailor, Soldier, Spy, Smiley's People, Alice in Wonderland, all the Tony Palmer and John Bridcut musical biographies, various musical programmes with Simon Russell Beale. The BBC is good value for money...IT'S A RUDDY MIRACLE.

There is some wastage but it is small compared with the enormous output. And the danger is if you demand cutbacks too hard the best stuff will go.

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

Hardly something to criticise IMV
                            that's a one off cost
                            It is meant to be the B.....BC and Salford is very much part of Britain last time I looked (and the birthplace of ......... etc etc etc )
                            No problems with the relocation, never been keen on the London-centric to most things just the cost - may be a one-off but a costly one!

Comment

• teamsaint
                              • Nov 2010

why do i keep expecting a little animation of Terry Wogan to pop up in this thread........??
                              must be overwork or something !!
                              Last edited by teamsaint; 16-04-12, 23:25.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                                Gone fishin'
                                • Sep 2011

... and the BBCSO, the BBCPO, the BBCNOW, the BBCScotSO, the BBC Singers, David Hockney, Art Nouveau, William Golding, Prof Mary Beard, Coast, Niall Ferguson, Dr Alice Roberts, Shakespeare ...

AND ALL FOR (just slightly less than) 40p PER DAY.

That's 1/3 of a bag of chips, 1/4 a pint of beer, 11/14 of a pint of milk, 1/3 of a loaf of bread, 1/3 of a small portion of Popcorn or 5mins of a film in a Multiplex (AND you don't have to queue, or spend money getting there!)

AND it's 40p per day PER HOUSEHOLD, so the two of you, teamy, get it all for 20p!

AND, if you can't stand the Telly, you get all the Radio Stations FOR NOTHING!!! Not a penny! Not even a meagre 40 (or 20) p PER DAY!

AND, once you're over 70, you get EVERYTHING FREE. Try going to your local, showing them your birth certificate and asking for whatever they've got all day FOR FREE!!!

... and, by the way; who is Terry Wogan??
                                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                                X