Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

noticed a bookie in town today offering to a bonus of your original stake as a new bet if you back a 4/1 or better winner.
    Or something.
    Is that a new gimmick?

well done Alison. I always look for the value in outsiders. Simple maths. far more scope for bookies to be "generous".
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
      • Nov 2010

I missed these tips today,wonder how Pet's selections fared without me putting the mockers on.

Comment

• Petrushka
        • Nov 2010

Another useless Saturday. What on earth were Outer Space and Out of Bounds doing? Both tailed off and came last. Jockeys will probably blame the ground but am not happy at the rides that both of these were given. Can't believe the run that Scatter Dice had to win the Cesarawitch from last to first, passing all 32 horses to take first place. It's enough to make punters give up. The bookies must have been laughing.

This is the longest losing run I've had for a very long time and surely luck must change soon.
        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Barbirollians
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
          Fairly pleased with each way success on Libranno and Pallasator. Always worth seeking out bookmakers paying out on 5 places in the impossible handicaps!

Couldn't really believe the price of Libranno.
          He has often been underrated his price when he won at Doncaster last year was 20-1 as well probably because Richard Hughes had chosen to ride the disappointing Strong Suit.

Talking of jockeys I was mightily unimpressed with the ride given to the favourite in the Cesarewitch - asking Tiger Cliff having come from a wide draw and carrying topweight to go for home three furlongs was madness and unsurprisingly he curled up in the final furlong . Then again it has happened many times that jockeys have gone too soon in this race , even Steve Cauthen was guilty of it on Further Flight back in 1990 .

Comment

• Alison
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
            He has often been underrated his price when he won at Doncaster last year was 20-1 as well probably because Richard Hughes had chosen to ride the disappointing Strong Suit.

Talking of jockeys I was mightily unimpressed with the ride given to the favourite in the Cesarewitch - asking Tiger Cliff having come from a wide draw and carrying topweight to go for home three furlongs was madness and unsurprisingly he curled up in the final furlong . Then again it has happened many times that jockeys have gone too soon in this race , even Steve Cauthen was guilty of it on Further Flight back in 1990 .
            Tom Queally has always had that tendency to go too soon. I think it cost him at least three places on Saturday.
            I feel sorry for him over the 'Princes' decision to employ James Doyle but rides like that don't do him any favours.

Pleased to report that my early season recommendation to follow HAMELIN has come good with two convincing autumn wins after two immature spring efforts.

Comment

• Barbirollians
              • Nov 2010

Tom Queally has always had that tendency to go too soon. I think it cost him at least three places on Saturday.
              I feel sorry for him over the 'Princes' decision to employ James Doyle but rides like that don't do him any favours.

Pleased to report that my early season recommendation to follow HAMELIN has come good with two convincing autumn wins after two immature spring efforts.
              Yes and it was notable that the owners kept Richard Hughes on Hamelin even though Queally was riding at the track. It may be that the owners are voting with their feet. I suspect that it was only Prince Khaled Abdulla's respect for Henry Cecil that stopped him appointing another first jockey before Sir Henry died .

Comment

• Alison
                • Nov 2010

Yes and it was notable that the owners kept Richard Hughes on Hamelin even though Queally was riding at the track. It may be that the owners are voting with their feet. I suspect that it was only Prince Khaled Abdulla's respect for Henry Cecil that stopped him appointing another first jockey before Sir Henry died .
                Good point about Hughesy. A beautiful ride at Leicester. I must acquire his autobiography too!

Squire Osbaldeston is another I've been told to watch out for, partly owned by Lady Jane herself I believe. Withdrawn at Goodwood yesterday.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                  • Nov 2010

Good point about Hughesy. A beautiful ride at Leicester. I must acquire his autobiography too!

Squire Osbaldeston is another I've been told to watch out for, partly owned by Lady Jane herself I believe. Withdrawn at Goodwood yesterday.
                  His autobiography is well worth a read and lot more interesting than many jockey autobio.

Comment

• Alison
                    • Nov 2010

His autobiography is well worth a read and lot more interesting than many jockey autobio.
                    Someone has just lent me Tommo's

Comment

• Petrushka
                      • Nov 2010

Thanks for the tip. Will keep an eye open. Rather cross that Hamelin slipped off my radar so consequently didn't back it.

Comment

• Petrushka
                        • Nov 2010

Had a go at three at Ascot for this afternoon.

Ascot 2.20: Viztoria 13/2
                        Ascot 3.30: Maxios 9/2
                        Ascot 4.05: Triple Thread 16/1

Re Triple Thread. Wonder why French master trainer, Andre Fabre, has decided to put this horse in, his only runner of the day at Ascot. He isn't known for just wanting to have a day out. Must tell you something.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                          Had a go at three at Ascot for this afternoon.

Ascot 2.20: Viztoria 13/2
                          Ascot 3.30: Maxios 9/2
                          Ascot 4.05: Triple Thread 16/1

Re Triple Thread. Wonder why French master trainer, Andre Fabre, has decided to put this horse in, his only runner of the day at Ascot. He isn't known for just wanting to have a day out. Must tell you something.
                          Thanks Pet,I'll have a little wager on those.

Comment

• Alison
                            • Nov 2010

I'm waiting for Fury in the 4.45.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                              • Nov 2010

Champions Day is always well worth watching but running it at ascot in mid October means that it is likely to be on soft ground which is a shame .

A great battle in the Champion Stakes but Farrh winning from Cirrus des Aigles just reminds one of how awesome Frankel was . He used to toy with Farrh especially in the Juddmonte International last year .

Olympic Glory was impressive too - soft ground, blinkers , Hughes and a flat track ideal .

Comment

• Petrushka
                                • Nov 2010

,,,Fury...
                                This is what I feel at having yet another blank Saturday. My longest ever losing run just gets longer.

Can't wait for the jumps season to get properly under way then we might see a change in fortune (hopefully).

Comment

Working...
                                X