X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ferretfancy
    • Nov 2010

Play it again, Sam

In yesterday's Observer a number of authors wrote about the books they found themselves re-reading, with some of the reasons why. The books didn't have to be great literature, but if you took them off the shelf you couldn't help starting again at chapter 1. An itch that needs scratching, as it were.

Looking at my little list, I must admit that it's rather unliterary, perhaps others here might impress us more!

In no special order:-

Lewis Carroll -- Alice Through the Looking Glass - I first read this curled up in a rocking chair just like Alice, I was about 8 at the time.

Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings --The Yearling - I empathised with the lonely young Jodie in the Florida Everglades.

HG Wells -- All the early fiction up to Tono Bungay. including Mr Polly, and of course The Time Machine.

PG Wodehouse -- Joy in the Morning, or anything with Jeeves or Blandings Castle, not so taken with the other books.

AP Wavell -- Other Men's Flowers -- still one of the best poetry anthologies ever compiled.

Evelyn Waugh -- Decline and Fall, Vile Bodies, --- most of the others, come to think of it.

Donald E Westlake -- The Dortmunder Novels -- Wonderfully funny crime capers with believable characters in absurd situations.

Raymond Chandler -- Still the best crime novelist.

Well, no Proust, no Tolstoy, no Martin Amis, is it too late ? ( I have read all of Dickens and Jane Austen, but don't revisit them often enough for it to qualify )

Over to you all.
  • Petrushka
    • Nov 2010

Due to the tottering pile of books I have yet to read for the first time I don't get much chance to re-read. Nevertheless, there are a few that qualify. I think the essential point in some ways is that they are not the great classics and what they are, to some extent, can be described as 'comfort' books, those volumes you instinctively reach for amid life's crises. Anyway, not many as I say:

Eric Williams: The Tunnel and The Wooden Horse. - First read these when I was 11 and have been part of my life ever since. They recount Williams' experiences in Second World War POW camps culminating in the famous 'wooden horse' escape. Some years ago I acquired signed copies of both in 1950's editions.

Dmitri Shostakovich/Solomon Volkov: Testimony. - Questions of authenticity don't really come into it. This is a rattling good read which I've now taken down from the shelves and read half a dozen times. Must find time for another one soon!

P G Woodhouse: All of the Jeeves books. - Essential comfort reading. Always funnier than the last time.

John le Carre: The Spy Who Came in from the Cold and Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy - TSWCiftC was the first adult novel I ever read aged 11. No matter how many times they are read I never fail to marvel at le Carre's wonderful prose.
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

The books I've re-read most often (by which I mean more than four times each) are by Dickens, Eco, and Winterson; Middlemarch and various translations of The Mabinogion. And "classic" detective novels - Allingham, Christie, Sayers, Chandler, Hammett.

The two non-fiction books that I've most often read are Michael Hall's first book on Birtwistle, Berlioz's Memoirs and Jonathan Cott's Conversations with Stockhausen.. Most other such books I tend to read through once and then "dip into" regularly thereafter.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• umslopogaas
        • Nov 2010

A surprising amount of overlap with previous posts. Chandler (any, but esp. Farewell My Lovely, The Big Sleep and The Long Goodbye). Le Carre (all the Smiley novels, just re-reading The Honourable Schoolboy). Len Deighton (Horse Under Water, The IPCRESS File and others). Joseh Conrad (Victory, the first grown-up book I ever read). Tolkein (Lord of the Rings, I know by some standards its really a children's book, but I reckon adults can enjoy it too). And I'm trying to give Dostoevsky's The Brothers Karamazov another chance. I read it as a teenager when I was too young to appreciate it and it put me off Russian novelists in a big way. Now fifty years on I'm still finding it a struggle.

And Proust. I'm not sure I've ever read it right through, but I must have read most of it more than once. You can just dip in and out where you please, since the plot is of relatively little account: young man goes out into society, observes many people marry, reproduce, age and die, then just has time to see the next generation maturing before he dies in his turn. Wouldnt think you'd need three thousand pages for that, would you?

And yes, the Shostakovich/Volkov Testimony. I'll never know who to believe re. authenticity, but its a good read, regardless.

And Rider Haggard: just been re-reading Allan Quartermain and am enjoying reacquainting myself with my formidable pseudonym, Umslopogaas, mighty warrior and virtuoso with the battle axe. Wonderful stuff.

Comment

• Petrushka
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by umslopogaas View Post
          I'm trying to give Dostoevsky's The Brothers Karamazov another chance. I read it as a teenager when I was too young to appreciate it and it put me off Russian novelists in a big way. Now fifty years on I'm still finding it a struggle.
          Visiting my Polish-born sister in law some years ago I was astounded to find her reading The Brothers Karamazov in the original Russian!
          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Chris Newman
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

Jaroslav Hašek: The Good Soldier Švejk (Penguin). Possible the funniest book I have ever read.

Geoffrey Chaucer: The Complete Works (OUP). Combining some of the finest tales (humorous and tragic) with philosophy, science and history.

Complete works of Jane Austen and John Le Carre.

Michel de Montaigne: The Essays The thoughts of one of the world great humanists.

George Herbert: The Complete Poems. A beautiful poet. The thought that he probably walked up my street is awe-inspiring.

Thomas Hardy: The Complete Poems. He wrote a huge quantity of poems. Much is mediocre but about about one hundred of them are as great as Herbert and Shakespeare.

Leonardo da Vinci: The Complete Paintings and Drawings (Taschen): Two massive volumes with good notes. Unbelievably available for about £40.

William Shakespeare: The Sonnets. Like the Chaucer and Hardy they have to be read again.

John Tyrrell: Janacek: The Years of a Life These two volumes have taken me longer to read than anything I have read, though it has been done in association with a lot of music. I want to do it again.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
              • Nov 2010

umslopogaas

How did I miss out Rider Haggard ? I grew up on She and King Solomon's Mines. There's another interesting book by him called Nada the Lily which is a very romanticised but surprisingly sensitive view of the life of black Africans, very much in advance of its time.

Comment

• Chris Newman
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

Ferretfancy and umslopogas,
                I too thought about Rider Haggard and Evelyn Waugh. I remember, Mr Forrester, my old teacher at primary school reading KSM to us last thing on a Friday afternoon. We did not want to go home when the bell rang and we were all terrified of Gagool. Even so we were shocked by her death. I read it to classes myself. Waugh I discovered myself. Brilliant stuff: a forerunner to Tom Sharpe in places. I have given myself a long enough list for several years so Haggard and Waugh will have to wait.
                bws
                Chris

Comment

• salymap
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

I can't read much atm as I have several sight problems such as macular degeneration but, if I could see better, I would choose to read again:-

All Margery Allingham, although I know them by heart
                  Shakespeare Sonnets, also known and loved for years
                  John le Carre All the Smiley novels {have been watching a DVD of Smiley's People today.]
                  The Letters of Edward Elgar
                  Berta Geissmar, The Baton and the Jackboot
                  Edith Sitwell. The Queens and the Hive
                  John Pearson. The Sitwells, A Family's Biography
                  Rose Macauley. The Towers of Trebizond
                  Jane Austen. Emma

Lots more but that will do.

Comment

• handsomefortune

i get eye strain easily as i damaged my sight early in the 2000s editing film..... i was too excited to get some specs sorted unfortunately. however, having got them, i find wearing specs gives me a headache.

longterm, i regularly return to 'my bibles':

'out of actions' between performance and the object 1949-1979. (includes various essays + pics from exhibition of the same title)

and

'bad girls and sick boys' fantasies in contemporary art and culture. by linda s kauffman (+ lots of pics). (read at least four times, and i still can't quite get the gist, however i value the 'after effect' of reading it)
                    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i also revisit hannah starkey, 29 photographs + written interview with starkey.

'snapshots' the photography of everyday life, 1888 to the present. douglas r nickel (curator at sf moma).
                    (perhaps don petter's photograph of 'the growling toy tiger seller' should have been included ideally, as posted on hornspieler's recent thread on photography)

fiction-wise, i like margaret atwood very much, but (almost) preferable: atwood talking on the radio about current reality's always a special treat. i enjoy p g woodhouse stories on the radio too, particularly the quietly hilarious line 'the emporess made excellent bouncing' which still makes me chuckle occasionally, as it refers to bouncing a tennis ball off a stout pig's back.

i regularly dip into 'the height of fashion', what diane arbus called 'the gap between intention and effect': a point between what you want people to know about you, and what you can't help people knowing about you. the photo portraits are always good for a laugh with, rather than at people, and as mentioned in ferretfancy's mssge 1, creates 'a repeat itch, that needs scratching' ...but in a leisurely, therapeutic way, in that it keeps fashion at a safe(r) distance than usual.

Comment

• umslopogaas
                      • Nov 2010

#8 Chris Newman

Ah yes, Gagool the witch and the fall of the door!

"Hark! Cry upon cry comes ringing up the vaulted path. It is Foulata's voice!

"Oh Bougwan! help! help! the rock falls!"
                      Leave go girl! Then ______"
                      "Help! help! she has stabbed me!"

By now we are running down the passage and this is what the light falls on. The door of rock is slowly closing down; it is not three feet from the floor. Near it struggle Foulata and Gagool. The red blood of the former runs to her knee, but still the brave girl holds the old witch, who fights like a wild cat. Ah! she is free! Foulata falls, and Gagool throws herself on the ground, to twist herself like a snake through the crack of the closing stone. She is under - ah, God! too late! too late! The stone nips her and she yells in agony. Down, down it comes, all the thirty tons of it, slowly pressing her old body against the rock below. Shriek upon shriek, such as we never heard, then a long sickening crunch, and the door was shut just as we, rushing down the passage, hurled ourselves against it."

Phew, I really need another drink. Its tough, this white man's burden.

Comment

Working...
                      X