Clear All
  • Flay
    • Mar 2007

The Small Ball Game

Golf. Why?
    Pacta sunt servanda !!!
  • EdgeleyRob
    • Nov 2010

"Golf is a good walk spoiled." Mark Twain.

Comment

• MrGongGong
      • Nov 2010

I thought this was going to be about pachinko

Comment

• Flay
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
        I thought this was going to be about pachinko
        Pachinko I can do: not too much skill, not too frustrating when things go wrong. But golf is so neurotic. All that effort then plop! it's in the water, or the sand, or the rough. It's murder without the bodies.
        Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Forget It (U2079353)
          • Nov 2010

Gentlemen
          Only
          Ladies
          Forbidden

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by Flay View Post
            Golf. Why?
            Because.

Of all the golf competitions, I only watch the final day of the Masters. Elitism aside, it is one of the classiest sporting events and absolutely compulsory viewing. The course is spectacular, the planting wonderful and the people mainly civil. It is one of the few times each year that I switch off the main lights and choose to sit by a lamp. It adds to the atmosphere.

This one did not disappoint. A sudden death play off between someone of unusually normal height and cool composure and a pleasantly emotional, somewhat eccentric, type. None of the arrogant idiots were in with a chance. It was like a trip back into the past. As the winner burst into tears, it was Alex Higgins at the Crucible all over again but without the dubious character.

Very enjoyable.

Links

Yet another thrilling day at Augusta - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/gol...-play-off.html

Bubba Watson wins the 2012 Masters - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/golf/17653714

Amazing albatross by Louis Oosthuizen - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/golf/17653712

Beautiful azaleas in full bloom - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0M-xihClLc
            Last edited by Guest; 09-04-12, 11:07.

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
              Because.

Of all the golf competitions, I only watch the final day of the Masters. Elitism aside, it is one of the classiest sporting events and absolutely compulsory viewing. The course is spectacular ...

I think that's precisely the very thing that may put some of us off the competition, including myself.

The whole thing seems so unreal, so manufactured and plastic-looking (even the grass) ... just so ostentatiously American.

Give me the natural, raw excitement and unpredictability of a rainy, windswept British links course any day, and where were the wonderful coastal views one gets at St Andrews, Troon, Turnberry, etc?

As for the game itself, the normally perceptive Mark Twain got it terribly wrong on this occasion ... golf enhances a good walk, as it adds discipline and a healthy mental stimulation as well as physical.

Regarding the silly 'sexism' charge, women have always played golf as far back, apparently, to the youthful days of Mary Queen of Scots! It has always been a game for both gentlemen and ladies alike. Men-only bars and clubs are (were) not confined to golf clubhouses, but a common practice in society in general. Just as 'stag nights' and 'hen nights' still are today ...

Nevertheless, long-established tradition will not always meekly surrender to overbearing 'political correctness' from interfering busybodies elsewhere ...

Comment

• MrGongGong
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
                [INDENT]

Nevertheless, long-established tradition will not always meekly surrender to overbearing 'political correctness' from interfering busybodies elsewhere ...
                Nothing wrong with having a club for some people but when the supposed "social" activity is used as a means of generating business, securing deals etc AND excludes 50% of the population then something is very wrong about it indeed ! If our foreign policy was decided by a group of blokes on a stag night would you be happy ? OH wait a moment I think it probably is

As a self employed musician I only was able to get a mortgage 18 years ago because my accountant played golf with the manager of a building society........... which was good for me BUT not exactly ethical.

Golf courses have a terrible impact on the environment as well, even though they seem "green" to keep it that way means a total monoculture and use of heaps of chemicals not to mention evil Trump and his destruction of the dunes north of Aberdeen !

Comment

• aeolium
                  • Nov 2010

Amazing albatross by Louis Oosthuizen
                  Why, in golf, is an albatross better than an eagle? Surely the eagle is the king of birds? And why isn't a 'birdie' something more definite?

Comment

• MrGongGong
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
                    Why, in golf, is an albatross better than an eagle? Surely the eagle is the king of birds? And why isn't a 'birdie' something more definite?

Surely they need one of these ?

Comment

• scottycelt

I concede that playing golf in England is considered to be a bit of a status symbol and is popular in business circles. In Scotland, it is as much a game for the masses and has little social significance. I don't know about the US or other parts of the world.

I've heard a few criticisms of various golf courses in my time, but having 'a terrible impact on the environment' is certainly one of the more remarkable and puzzling. My first-ever boyhood sighting of a water-vole was on a municipal course in the suburbs of a then very dirty city of Glasgow.

Not sure what all the facts are concerning the 'evil Trump' and his Golf project in Aberdeenshire, but I suspect plenty of those magnificent dunes will long outlive Donald J Trump and his dastardly plans for the area.

Furthermore, I feel certain that, through their local councils, the legendary canny folk of the area, will almost certainly have demanded a hefty monetary sum and positive outcome for themselves and their undeniably beautiful coastal region in return, and taking a purely objective view, I'd be rather more 'concerned' for DJT and the self-predicted financial success of his pet project. ,

Comment

• pilamenon
                        • Nov 2010

I've heard a few criticisms of various golf courses in my time, but having 'a terrible impact on the environment' is certainly one of the more remarkable and puzzling.
                        It's actually not difficult to see why. Manicured greens and fairways, sand bunkers - these are not exactly natural habitats. Golf courses can look very attractive, but they are environmentally damaging, not least in the amount of watering involved in keeping them so green.

Despite that, I watched the last two rounds of the Masters avidly. That second shot out of the trees to the green in the play-off was a great moment. It's also a timing thing - live coverage fitting in perfectly with a cosy fire on two chilly Easter late evenings, whereas the Open is usually decided at a time of day and year when I'd rather be outside.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                          • Nov 2010

I concede that playing golf in England is considered to be a bit of a status symbol and is popular in business circles. In Scotland, it is as much a game for the masses and has little social significance.

So you have never been to StAndrews then ?

Comment

• John Skelton

Furthermore, I feel certain that, through their local councils, the legendary canny folk of the area, will almost certainly have demanded a hefty monetary sum and positive outcome for themselves and their undeniably beautiful coastal region in return, and taking a purely objective view, I'd be rather more 'concerned' for DJT and the self-predicted financial success of his pet project. ,

Renewable energy targets must not be "blown off course" by US tycoon Donald Trump's protests, environmental group WWF Scotland says.

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post

So you have never been to StAndrews then ?
                              Yes, many times, and the last time I was there (admittedly some years ago) I played the Old Course with an old friend and our social insignificance then and now is quite legendary ...

Comment

Working...
                              X