• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gamba
    Late member
    • Dec 2010

I Have a Puzzle for You

Once upon a time, many years ago, I got to know a family who owned a particularly interesting & handsome item. It was a compass, brass & mahogany, a pleasure to behold.

However, there was something very odd about it, the points for east & west were reversed. Looking down on it with north at the top & south at the bottom, east was to the left & west to the right.

Some of you may know the answer. If so "Shut up & be quiet " !!!

I thought it would be interesting to see amongst those of you who do not already know, whether any of you can provide the answer.

I once put this problem to the Chief Flying Instructor of a RNAS Squadron - he was quite intrigued & had it added to their list of questions for pilot training - just to see how smart they were.

For those who DO know, let's keep it a secret until Monday, when all will be revealed - eveyone agree ?
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gamba View Post
    Once upon a time, many years ago, I got to know a family who owned a particularly interesting & handsome item. It was a compass, brass & mahogany, a pleasure to behold.

However, there was something very odd about it, the points for east & west were reversed. Looking down on it with north at the top & south at the bottom, east was to the left & west to the right.

I thought it would be interesting to see amongst those of you who do not already know, whether any of you can provide the answer.

I once put this problem to the Chief Flying Instructor of a RNAS Squadron - he was quite intrigued & had it added to their list of questions for pilot training - just to see how smart they were.

For those who DO know, let's keep it a secret until monday, when all will be revealed - eveyone agree ?
    No over-sexed baboons involved, I trust?
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Russ

It would read ok when attached to a ceiling.

Russ

Comment

• MrGongGong
        • Nov 2010

For those who DO know, let's keep it a secret until Monday, when all will be revealed - eveyone agree ?
        What is really puzzling is that you haven't asked a question ?
        Though I can guess what it is

So for the benefit of mrP who finds anything other than the most obvious difficult .......................

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
          • Apr 2007

Were the symbols for N, S and E each laterally inverted on its own axis?
          I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

It's an astronaut's compass.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Don Petter

Perhaps a ship's captain had it over his bunk, so he could keep an eye on the vessel's heading while 'off watch'?

Comment

• Flay
                • Mar 2007

I suspect it was used by penguins
                Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Pianorak
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                  No over-sexed baboons involved, I trust?
                  No, no over or under-sexed baboons involved. Trust me.
                  My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Anything to do with the Southern Hemisphere?
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                      Anything to do with the Southern Hemisphere?
                      Or ships on the Pacific Ocean ... after all China is East and USA, West?

Sorry, we can't all hang about here on tenterhooks until Monday ...
                      Last edited by Guest; 06-04-12, 22:45. Reason: grammatically improper

Comment

• johnb
                        • Mar 2007

Perhaps one vital clue is missing.

Comment

• gamba
                          Late member
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                          Perhaps a ship's captain had it over his bunk, so he could keep an eye on the vessel's heading while 'off watch'?
                          Yes Don, exactly so, althouigh I didn't expect so many to be aware of the answer. Obviously people are much more intelligent now than they were 60 years ago !

Comment

• Don Petter

Yes Don, exactly so, althouigh I didn't expect so many to be aware of the answer. Obviously people are much more intelligent now than they were 60 years ago !
                            Oh! Have I won? What's the prize?

Comment

• gamba
                              Late member
                              • Dec 2010

Ah well ! perhaps I should have known this might happen.

My purpose in setting this puzzle was prompted by the memory of the same question being raised on a previous occasion. Some knew the answer but others who didn't had to try & work it out for themselves. Their suggestions were very, very, funny. Many were quite hilarious, as they obviously hadn't a clue as to the reason & came up with answers of great originalty & humour.

I had hopes of it happening again. But alas, in spite of my warning those who knew just HAD to tell all.

Pity, it could have had an amusing outcome.

Comment

Working...
                              X