• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
    Why not remove VAT on hot take-away food and household fuel and have differential VAT rates for luxury goods, e.g. 80% for top-end sports cars (still pocket money for footballers and executives)? Having differential rates would better reflect people's ability to pay and redistribute the burden of indirect taxation in a similar way to direct taxation.
    We used to have that. It was called Purchase Tax. Fairer than VAT in principle, but it seemed wrong that classical LPs were highly taxed and top-shelf magazines were not.

Comment

• anotherbob
      • Sep 2011

If you wanted to revive the anti-union hysteria so successfully promoted by Thatcher what could serve you better than suggesting that because of the threat of a tanker-driver strike you might like to fill up wth fuel whenever you can (no pun intended)

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

more or less everything that that happens is planned or allowed by those at the top.

and diversion is everything.
        Every daft b****er queuing an hour for petrol that they don't need is one lest prole thinking about the avaricious sods that run our lives, and how they do it.
        One less person thinking about the arms trade.
        One less person thinking about the insane wars we are embroiled in.
        One less person wondering about why the banks are running all our lives.
        One less person thinking about why the NHS is being flogged to the yanks.

And so on.....

(PS anyone got a spare can of juice for sale so I can get to the footy ? will pay £6 a gallon, !)
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
          But then again, Louise Casey 'solved' street homelessness, didn't she?
          Wasn't she a czar? What happened to all the czars? Are they just very quiet now and still being paid for by us?

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
            Wasn't she a czar? What happened to all the czars? Are they just very quiet now and still being paid for by us?
            Oh she was the Homelessness Czar first, then the Community Anti-Social Behaviour/ASBO Czar, then the Respect Czar, then the Victims Commissioner, and now she's the Riot Czar (I think)

Czar she blows

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by anotherbob View Post
              If you wanted to revive the anti-union hysteria so successfully promoted by Thatcher what could serve you better than suggesting that because of the threat of a tanker-driver strike you might like to fill up wth fuel whenever you can (no pun intended)
              Hearing cabinet ministers whipping up anti-union histeria has only one effect on me: it makes me sympathise with the workers, even though I detest juggernauts.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                Oh she was the Homelessness Czar first, then the Community Anti-Social Behaviour/ASBO Czar, then the Respect Czar, then the Victims Commissioner, and now she's the Riot Czar (I think) Czar she blows
                Has the Coalition Government appointed its £142,000 Twitter Tsar yet?

The government is seeking to recruit a new digital strategy supremo but says the role will be much more than a 'Twitter tsar'.

"Ts" rather than "Cz" because it will need to be a Tory Sympathiser rather than one of the Commiez.
                Last edited by Guest; 29-03-12, 23:01. Reason: We're all in this FOREVER

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

........George Galloway (Respect) wins Bradford by-election.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Massive!

Respect 18,341 (+52.8%)
                    Labour 8,201 (-20.3%)
                    Conservative 2,746 (-22.7%)
                    Lib Dem 1,505 (-7.1%)
                    UKIP 1,085 (+1.3%)
                    Green 481 (-0.8%)
                    Democratic Nationalists 341 (-0.1%)
                    Monster Raving Loony 111 (N/A)

Turnout - 50.78%
                    Swing - 36.59%
                    Last edited by Guest; 30-03-12, 03:16.

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
                      Massive!

Swing - 36.59%
                      One does not need to like or admire the guy to offer Respect!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

When I first read about this, I thought it was an early April Fool.

Comment

• Frances_iom
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                          When I first read about this, I thought it was an early April Fool.
                          Harriet Harman got it right "Sitting here in London" just about sums it up for those away from power - more importantly I suspect judging from the you-gov report as report we are yet nearer to a corporatist state

Comment

• Flosshilde
                            • Nov 2010

Extreme editing, when this -

"I defend anyone who is misquoted or deliberately misunderstood
                            ....... but apparently this subject is off-topic, so perhaps we should leave it there."

Becomes this -

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                            which buffoon ?

Last edited by mercia; Today at 07:43

Comment

• mercia
                              • Nov 2010

what is editing for if not to edit ?
                              I've also been told not to delete messages, in which case what is the delete message facility for, I wonder.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                                Late member
                                • Nov 2010

Mr Galloway has managed that twice now as well as his formidable performance in front of the US Senate Cttee ... blimey no one saw that coming eh!
                                According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Working...
                                X