• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

itsa wonga wonga half million to get the right to fire eh
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Beecroft saying "it would be sad" for employees to be sacked on mere grounds of personal dislike by management is typically disingenuous, from my very own experience.

I wasn't actually sacked on the several occasions when I was subjected to the little Hitlers who used to make the grade, and probably do more now than even then, but only because I was either saved by a new manager coming in as replacement who had the common decency to treat me like a human being, or successfully fought my own defense through Personnel.

I should add that I am talking about non-unionised firms I had the displeasure of working for in the 1960s/early 1970s.

S-A

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

If the new electorate are developers (Simon Jenkins suggested they virtually drafted the first Planning proposals), private medical company shareholders (Very useful for the NHS Bill in the Lords) and venture capitalists/Wangas (Employment rights) ...........

(http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...-red-card.html)

.........................................what is the old electorate?

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

i had not made these connections!
          According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

As my union rep said to me:

"The logic, the morality and the common sense are all on your side but the law isn't.

Sorry mate. That's just how things are".
            Last edited by Guest; 29-03-12, 23:58.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

Still, this book is to be welcomed for cementing the rebirth of political economy. The emphasis on how important it is to prevent narrow interests from capturing political power to exercise in its own economic interest is just as relevant to the financial oligopolies of the West as to the failed or failing states of Africa. It is possible to have an economy run by the elite for the elite at any level of development, as we can now see clearly. Policy makers in the US and Europe should read this as a warning.
              another review in WSJ

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

Over 46% of people sitting on pay committees are or have been lead company executives, according to the commission's research, which is published on Monday.
                The average pay of a FTSE 100 boss now stands at £4.2m, according the employment research group IDS
                never mind let's all have a nice cup of tea

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

plan B plan B plan B etc ... oh and why .... evidence on UK Growth from the LSE Economic Performance Unit

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                    plan B plan B plan B etc ... oh and why .... evidence on UK Growth from the LSE Economic Performance Unit
                    Thanks for the postings Calum. Nice light reading for a grey day.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

er i do not know of a more succinct statement of fact regarding the long rip off and great con of austerity than this

... it describes a deterioration in society since the 80s in economic terms that are revealing and devastating, and for those of us who have lived through the decline it summarises the essential theft of life and prospects that has been committed by the the CORPOCATS

Comment

• aeolium
                        • Nov 2010

And the disastrous thing is that the EU and many European governments including this one are pursuing policies almost guaranteed to lead to social unrest and political instability as in the Great Depression - no lessons learnt at all.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                          er i do not know of a more succinct statement of fact regarding the long rip off and great con of austerity than this

... it describes a deterioration in society since the 80s in economic terms that are revealing and devastating, and for those of us who have lived through the decline it summarises the essential theft of life and prospects that has been committed by the the CORPOCATS

Which of course was why Keynes was brought in to save capitalism.

I thought Sandbrook's second programme on the 70s last night, (missed the first), got it pretty well spot on that the prime cause of inflation back then was dependency on the Sheiks when they massively increased their oil prices - though, of course, trade union militancy "pricing workers out of jobs", recklessly presented by Sandbrook as "the other half of the problem", was an effect not cause of all that has transpired in the interim.

Behind lies unsustainability, on all levels...

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                            • Nov 2010

Hmmmm....very interesting numbers!!
                            bong ching

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

a torygraf analysis

What's particularly depressing is that construction output decreased by 3 per cent. As George Trefgarne, formerly the economics editor of this newspaper, explained in a recent CPS policy paper, the last time the UK was faced with this sort of economic crisis was in the 1930s – then we were pulled out by an enormous construction boom, funded by the new invention of the building society. By contrast, now, we still have made no serious attempt to fix our failing banking system, which is barely lending. Britain has been in a credit crunch for the best part of a year. That, not the eurozone, has been our biggest problem.

If we want to get the economy going again, without launching a fiscal stimulus, then we need to complete reform – literally, restart – the banking system. As the first Labour prime minister Ramsey MacDonald said, "finance is the nervous system of capitalism". Well, capitalism has had a stroke. Time to fix it.

... now when the torygraf is saying such things we should all get very worried eh?

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                                Late member
                                • Nov 2010

from here where our prime minister is compared to an idiot and comes off worse for his economic complacency and lack of understanding

Now the first thing to note is that the US has recovered WAY better than either the Eurozone or the UK. So if you think Obama has been a disaster, you might first acknowledge that the US has performed better than all its major Western peers.

But beyond that, check out the UK line. The UK was recovering on a fine trajectory right up until early 2010, at which point UK growth hit a brick wall.

What happened in 2010? That's when conservative David Cameron came to power with an agenda of reigning in the debt. Sound familiar?

Basically we have a life test of a country that wants to do what conservatives in the US want to do: reduce national debt.

Doing so is a growth disaster.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/chart...#ixzz1t3pfEwTI

Comment

Working...
                                X