X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • salymap
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

I think Mr Heath was thought a better pianist/organist than conductor. As our local MP for a number of years he played piano duets with a local pianist and seemed at home in many different works. Proceeds to charity of course.

Comment

• subcontrabass
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Vile Consort View Post
      I hope he managed to get past the C major in Book I. As an ex Oxford organ scholar he ought to have been able to play the lot!
      I can speak from experience to say that being a former Oxford organ scholar does not convey the ability to play the 48. Standards in different colleges and in different years varied considerably. In my year I was the only candidate for the scholarship at my college and one of only twelve candidates in total for eleven organ scholarships across the university (one of whom did not turn up for the practical exam).

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by salymap View Post
          Mr Heath was thought a better pianist/organist than conductor.
          As the then organ scholar Ted Heath was said to have had at the very least a hand in designing the organ in Balliol chapel.

Not all subsequent organ scholars have agreed with his choices. The two in my time (72-76) seemed unlikely to become lifelong Tories out of pure admiration
          I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

Working...
          X