• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Challenged by Duchess of Cambridge

This is a personal view, of course, but what dreadful judgement on the part of the BBC to drag the finalists of University Challenge into Clarence House and to have their trophies presented by HRH. I've nothing personal against the good woman, but my objections are twofold.

1. What has this supremely meritocratic contest got to do with royalty?

2. How cringingly embarrassed everyone looked at lining up and being addressed in the 'I'm just a regular friendly guy and can ask trivial questions just like your mates down the pub' obligatory royal fashion.

And did you see Paxman's face and his nervous shifting from foot to foot at HRH's opening remarks? It's worth the i-player just for that.

God save us.
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

Snap!!

Comment

• Don Petter

Particularly unfortunate as Cambridge lost! (Were they, perhaps, expecting a different result?)

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

I worry about Kate - sideways on, almost invisible. And I wonder: is history repeating?

Comment

• anotherbob
          • Sep 2011

Agreed. Very ill-judged.
          No doubt Mr. Pee will be along soon to tell us how much better Sky Arts would have done it.

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            I worry about Kate - sideways on, almost invisible. And I wonder: is history repeating?
            She's at least a decade older than her poor mother-in-law was when she began the ordeal of being in that family - and much better educated. She should not have the same problems, but .......... I share your doubts.

Comment

• L'enfer

How disappointing I was hoping for something along these lines...

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Confusing I know but it was the Duchess of Cornwall, not Cambridge.

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

indeed scottycelt but still puzzling as a decision and cringeworthy in the extreme as an experience .... the remote flick to another channel was quickly in use

an extraordinary poor choice
                    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

I thought she made a better fist of it than Carol Ann Duffy the Poet Laureate a season or two back, who though perhaps more suitable on paper was surly, unsmiling and monosyllabic. Whatever the merits of giving her the job, I thought she entered into the spirit of it rather well. I'm also confused that at least four of the above posters clearly didn't see the programme, since they are under the impression the OP really did refer to Kate, rather than Camilla.

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                        indeed scottycelt but still puzzling as a decision and cringeworthy in the extreme as an experience .... the remote flick to another channel was quickly in use

an extraordinary poor choice
                        Certainly the right result though, ... and judging by the faces in the photo I suspect that it is loyal royalists to HRH's right and dastardly republicans to her left?

Paxman, in the middle, is probably desperately trying to adopt a neutral pose, which maybe explains his apparent discomfort ...

Manchester 1 Cambridge 0 in the final of University Challenge and winners collect their trophy from Duchess of Cornwall at Clarence House.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

well swmbo and meself are devoted watchers of UC ... one of the weeks little routines .... and have been folllowing the fortunes of various teams over the 38 contests .... we both independently took the same view and had the same disgust reaction to the appallingly trivial and irrelevant comments of the Duchess, clearly more embarassed than the poor students who had to put up with it .... a miserable end to a fine season
                          According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                            Doesn't she even know where she lives?

Comment

• scottycelt

Rarely watched it since the good old days of Bamber Gascoigne ... in any case, is it really that important who gives the prizes out?

Comment

Working...
                              X