Classical Music Publications: Does Anyone Subscribe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • salymap
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

All of which goes to show I think that you are a natural here !!

Your comment that you assumed BBCMM, being "funded via the license fee could have afforded to pander to the masses a little less" echoes my feelings and of course applies to Radio 3 as a whole...

May I be curious? Where, beyond these shores, are you? And what proportion of your radio music listening is to R3, and how much to local stations (and which?)?

Forgive the early cross-examination (I am known as Rumpole by some of the regulars 'ere )

Is there a SWMBO Caliban ?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
      Is there a SWMBO Caliban ?
      You're going to have to give me a clue about a SWMBO, Saly!?
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Il Grande Inquisitor
        • Mar 2007

Welcome to the site, L'enfer. As one who writes for IRR, may I direct you to a useful thread that's been running for just over a year?

Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

Comment

• Don Petter

Saly was adding a Rider.

Comment

• L'enfer

Originally posted by Il Grande Inquisitor View Post
            Welcome to the site, L'enfer. As one who writes for IRR, may I direct you to a useful thread that's been running for just over a year?

http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...-Record-Review
            Thank you I've yet to receive my copy of IRR but I look forward to reading it I will most likely subscribe as it seems the magazine most suited to my tastes. However still haven't made up my mind about the others. I thought it would be a straight choice between Gramophone and IRR however it seems Gramophone have moved down market to compete with the BBCMM.

Comment

• John Skelton

For contemporary music http://johnsonsrambler.wordpress.com/ is an excellent read.

Also http://5-against-4.blogspot.co.uk/20...-new-home.html.

Comment

• L'enfer

Originally posted by John Skelton View Post
                Thank you for the links John I will go through them when I have more time.

By contemporary do you mean Philip Glass et al? Contemporary/Avant-Garde "classical" music or are you speaking of "Rock & Roll" and what have you? To be honest I struggle with non-classical music although I'm fine with the likes of Glass, Ligeti and Pärt etc, I have not been able get "into" other types of music thus far despite my best efforts even Jazz music does nothing for me.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                  • Jan 2011

I would put in a vote for BBCMM. The cover CD on the latest issue is particularly good. I also like the content of the magazine, including the reviews (it depends at what level of musical knowledge you are coming in at, I guess). A subscription provides good value for money IMV.

OG

Comment

• umslopogaas
                    • Nov 2010

Complaining that 'Gramophone' isnt what it was is a favourite pastime among those of a certain age: I am of that age, but I dont make that complaint. Indeed 'Gramophone' is not what it was in [let's say the late 1960s when I first started to buy it] and thank goodness for that. I'm sure that the content has lightened up a little (its in colour for a start), but I still enjoy reading it, I still get useful information and discriminating reviews from it, and I intend to carry on reading it. The people who contribute know vastly more about recordings and almost infinitely more about music than I do, and I want to hear what they have to say.

Comment

• L'enfer

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                      I would put in a vote for BBCMM. The cover CD on the latest issue is particularly good. I also like the content of the magazine, including the reviews (it depends at what level of musical knowledge you are coming in at, I guess). A subscription provides good value for money IMV.

OG
                      Thanks OG my "musical knowledge" is quite good, but I'm less confidant on records and musicians that I've not really had a great deal of experience with. I'm not above reading a magazine aimed at those who are perhaps at an entry to intermediate level though. It seems to me from what I've read that the BBCMM covers that level and the IRR covers the upper echelons of the knowledge scale so I could quite easily get both and not have to worry about much overlap.

I did see that the March issue of BBCMM had Yuja Wang on it's cover, I'm sorry I missed that one. I enjoyed her live performance some years back and just bought one of her CDs today. BBCMM and Gramophone seem to cover the same ground now perhaps it depends on my inner music snob which would I rather subscribe to?

As for everyone who recommended the IRR I'm pretty much sold on this one. Unless something catastrophic happens to my trial issue all being well I will subscribe and cross my fingers it doesn't start to go the way of the other two magazines.

Thank you all for your comments so far I didn't expect to get such a warm and in-depth reply.

L'enfer
                      Last edited by Guest; 20-03-12, 21:34.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                        Saly was adding a Rider.
                        This is worse than Alphabet Associations

What are you and saly on about?!?!

I think I'm being particularly obtuse (where's Angle when you need him?!)

Comment

• Don Petter

This is worse than Alphabet Associations

What are you and saly on about?!?!

I think I'm being particularly obtuse (where's Angle when you need him?!)
                          No, just looking a little Haggard!

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Do you know who Rumpole is, Caly?

And a belated welcome to the Member from Hell! I'm sure you'll find everyone very helpful here. N'est-ce pas, tout le monde?

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                              Do you know who Rumpole is, Caly?
                              Got you!! And You are She!

See - I was being obtuse!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                                No, just looking a little Haggard!
                                Oh boom boom, Don

Comment

Working...
                                X