Classical Music Publications: Does Anyone Subscribe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ostuni
    • Nov 2010

I find MusicWeb very variable: some reviewers are good, but many reviews are superficial and/or ill-informed. I grew up with Gramophone, but now subscribe to IRR. I enjoy much of the latter, though sometimes wish the editor would choose writers who really know their stuff, rather then the genial generalist...

Comment

• JFLL
      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by ostuni View Post
      I find MusicWeb very variable: some reviewers are good, but many reviews are superficial and/or ill-informed.
      Well, yes, there are some duff reviews and reviewers (as in any publication), but I must say that I wouldn't say many. But perhaps I'm ill-informed myself, so don't notice!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

I happened to be in a newsagent's shop yesterday, not somewhere I often go these days, and as I saw the masthead peeping out from the racks, I reverted to the habit of nearly 30 years and bought Gramophone. I realised it's not since the latter part of last year that I've seen it. I shan't be doing so again 'any time soon' as they say. Difficult to distinguish editorial from advertorial, from sheer adverts... Eric Whitacre making the cover look like a man's grooming product publication.. I've still to get into the substance, will report back if the content is any better.
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
          I happened to be in a newsagent's shop yesterday, not somewhere I often go these days, and as I saw the masthead peeping out from the racks, I reverted to the habit of nearly 30 years and bought Gramophone. I realised it's not since the latter part of last year that I've seen it. I shan't be doing so again 'any time soon' as they say. Difficult to distinguish editorial from advertorial, from sheer adverts... Eric Whitacre making the cover look like a man's grooming product publication.. I've still to get into the substance, will report back if the content is any better.
          Sad that, Caliban - it used to be such a good read and a valued friend - bit like Radio 3 I guess.

I would be the first to rejoice if your later report were positive - but I'd still stick with IRR too

Comment

• L'enfer

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
            Sad that, Caliban - it used to be such a good read and a valued friend - bit like Radio 3 I guess.

I would be the first to rejoice if your later report were positive - but I'd still stick with IRR too
            I haven't heard back from IRR yet they were supposed to contact me about my trial issue. In the meantime I have asked my other half to see if he can pick up a copy of the BBCMM from Waterstones so I can make up my own mind (the free CD isn't bad either). If I haven't heard from IRR by next week I'll just go ahead and subscribe anyway seems like the last "good" magazine left.

As has been said before there are some rather nice folk on here who know their stuff. I'm sure I will learn much from you all so I guess your stuck with me, thanks again everyone. :D

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by L'enfer View Post
              As has been said before there are some rather nice folk on here who know their stuff. I'm sure I will learn much from you all so I guess your stuck with me, thanks again everyone. :D

Have you tried your hand in the madhouse that is the Alphabet Associations thread yet?

Comment

• Anna

I've still to get into the substance, will report back if the content is any better.
                This shrieks of Withnail and I Eveyones' fave movie?

Comment

• John Wright
                  • Mar 2007

L'enfer,

If you have an interest in historocal recordings and reading about near-forgotten artistes, then there's Classical Recordings Quarterly

P.S. as a highlighter I think italics are preferable to bold
                  - - -

John W

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                    Banned
                    • Jul 2011

We want the finest music available to humanity and we want it on Radio 3 now!

Caliban, ignore the ads and promos - April Gramophone is rather good actually (I take IRR as well...), with that aforesaid Brahms 3rd survey and meaty features on Birtwistle, John Adams and others. There's a definite attempt at raccrochement with a great past; but the reviews need lengthening and deepening, with far more comparisons offered. But give Martin Cullingford a chance, he's having a go.
                    Originally posted by Anna View Post
                    This shrieks of Withnail and I Eveyones' fave movie?

Comment

• L'enfer

Originally posted by John Wright;143483[I
                      P.S. as a highlighter I think italics are preferable to bold[/I]
                      Thank you John I had not heard of that magazine before now I will have to look that one up. As for italics vs. bold I'd rather not get into that one.

Have you tried your hand in the madhouse that is the Alphabet Associations thread yet?
                      I hadn't come across it I shall make over there at some point now that you've mentioned it. Not to night though far too tired one never plays these games when tired for fear of brining the forum into disrepute.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

Italics vs bold?

Why not have the best of both worlds?
                        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                          Italics vs bold?

what about some colour too?

Comment

• vinteuil
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                            Italics vs bold?

non-bold italics have the disadvantage that they get 'lost' when quoted...

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                              what about some colour too?
                              Quite!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by L'enfer View Post
                                I hadn't come across it I shall make over there at some point now that you've mentioned it. Not to night though far too tired one never plays these games when tired for fear of brining the forum into disrepute.
                                I don't think you need fear that on the AA thread!! Disrepute lurks at every turn!

Comment

Working...
                                X