Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
    That rather reminds me of the story of the heckler at The Comedy Store who stood up, ouraged at a Paul Merton/Josie Lawrence event, and shouted "This isn't comedy! You're all just saying funny things and everybody is laughing at them!!"

Comment

• Panjandrum

That rather reminds me of the story of the heckler at The Comedy Store who stood up, ouraged at a Paul Merton/Josie Lawrence event, and shouted "This isn't comedy! You're all just saying funny things and everybody is laughing at them!!"
      The word "comedy" is derived from the Classical Greek κωμῳδία kōmōidía, which is a compound either of κῶμος kômos (revel) or κώμη kṓmē (village) and ᾠδή ōidḗ (singing); it is possible that κῶμος itself is derived from κώμη, and originally meant a village revel. The adjective "comic" (Greek κωμικός kōmikós), which strictly means that which relates to comedy is, in modern usage, generally confined to the sense of "laughter-provoking". Of this, the word came into modern usage through the Latin comoedia and Italian commedia and has, over time, passed through various shades of meaning.

Greeks and Romans confined the word "comedy" to descriptions of stage-plays with happy endings. In the Middle Ages, the term expanded to include narrative poems with happy endings and a lighter tone. In this sense Dante used the term in the title of his poem, La Commedia. During the Middle Ages, in the medieval Islamic world, they disassociated comedy from Greek dramatic representation and instead identified it with Arabic poetic themes and forms, such as hija (satirical poetry). They viewed comedy as simply the "art of reprehension", and made no reference to light and cheerful events, or troublous beginnings and happy endings, associated with classical Greek comedy.

So your heckler had a point.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post
        The word "comedy" is derived from the Classical Greek κωμῳδία kōmōidía, which is a compound either of κῶμος kômos (revel) or κώμη kṓmē (village) and ᾠδή ōidḗ (singing); it is possible that κῶμος itself is derived from κώμη, and originally meant a village revel. The adjective "comic" (Greek κωμικός kōmikós), which strictly means that which relates to comedy is, in modern usage, generally confined to the sense of "laughter-provoking". Of this, the word came into modern usage through the Latin comoedia and Italian commedia and has, over time, passed through various shades of meaning.

Greeks and Romans confined the word "comedy" to descriptions of stage-plays with happy endings. In the Middle Ages, the term expanded to include narrative poems with happy endings and a lighter tone. In this sense Dante used the term in the title of his poem, La Commedia. During the Middle Ages, in the medieval Islamic world, they disassociated comedy from Greek dramatic representation and instead identified it with Arabic poetic themes and forms, such as hija (satirical poetry). They viewed comedy as simply the "art of reprehension", and made no reference to light and cheerful events, or troublous beginnings and happy endings, associated with classical Greek comedy.

So your heckler had a point.
        Yeah, right

Comment

• Anna

I had my poetry set to music and premiered in a Chelsea Pub. My four song cycles were then premiered in The Isle of Dogs, Neither received rave reviews, the composer of music of above was avant garde in extremis It was fun, but in future, I just write for myself and my own enjoyment. But I do believe my poetry/prose is worthy of someone reading it.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Anna View Post
            I had my poetry set to music and premiered in a Chelsea Pub. My four song cycles were then premiered in The Isle of Dogs, Neither received rave reviews, the composer of music of above was avant garde in extremis It was fun, but in future, I just write for myself and my own enjoyment. But I do believe my poetry/prose is worthy of someone reading it.
            Well done Anna

As you are a citizen of Wales (Gwlad beirdd a chantorian enwogian or fri ) no-one should be surprised.

Is your poetry in Engish or in Welsh?

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Best wishes to Anna. You should still go for it.

Interesting comments all. I used to write paintings. That's how I saw them. What mattered to me was that they came from me. I wasn't overly bothered if they were any good.

The difficult aspects of life wear it down. It becomes necessary to be ready for things.

I think the impressionism is still there. I could still sit down one night and get into that feeling. But it would now have a lot to travel round and even then it would seem more contrived.

(Quiz question - How many verbs were there in this contribution?)

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                Well done Anna

As you are a citizen of Wales (Gwlad beirdd a chantorian enwogian or fri ) no-one should be surprised.

Is your poetry in Engish or in Welsh?
                Actually, we did bomb big time in them there Isle of Dogs! No, my poetry is in Wengllish, look you boyo! It is dead Tidy! No, Actually, it is not! My poetry is not to anyones taste, but that is Ok, now I only write for myself, and that is cool

Comment

• Hornspieler

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                  Well I'm sure that many of us would welcome a contribution from yourself Anna (and others) on these boards.

We could set up a classification - for instance, "Poems of Joy" "Poems of Despair" "Love Poems"(careful here!)
                  "Political Poems" "Sonnets" "Limericks"

The only parameter being that they must be written by the sender and not previously published.

Something for us all to employ us during Schubert Week.

HS

Comment

• Mary Chambers
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post

The only parameter being that they must be written by the sender and not previously published.
                    Mine were published. The school magazine and Collins Young Elizabethan. Does that count? I was paid by the latter

(Not that I'm going to put them on here anyway.)

Comment

• mangerton
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post

Best wishes to Anna. You should still go for it.

Interesting comments all. I used to write paintings. That's how I saw them. What mattered to me was that they came from me. I wasn't overly bothered if they were any good.

The difficult aspects of life wear it down. It becomes necessary to be ready for things.

I think the impressionism is still there. I could still sit down one night and get into that feeling. But it would now have a lot to travel round and even then it would seem more contrived.

(Quiz question - How many verbs were there in this contribution?)
                      Best wishes to Anna indeed, for writing verse in whatever language. I'd love to be able to do it, but living in Dundee I obviously have a high standard to aim for...

Beautiful Railway Bridge of the Silv’ry Tay! Alas! I am very sorry to say That ninety lives have been taken away On the last Sabbath day of 1879, Which will be remember’d for a very lon…

Lateralt1, I think I counted 19, but that included two infinite verbs.

Comment

• Hornspieler

Originally posted by Mary Chambers View Post
                        Mine were published. The school magazine and Collins Young Elizabethan. Does that count? I was paid by the latter

(Not that I'm going to put them on here anyway.)
                        I'm sure you still own the copyright, Mary. Do please give us a little sample to whet our appetites for the spoken (and rhyming) word.

Pretty please

HS

Comment

• Hornspieler

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post
                          I'm sure you still own the copyright, Mary. Do please give us a little sample to whet our appetites for the spoken (and rhyming) word.

Pretty please

HS
                          Okay then. I will start the ball rolling and hope that others will join in.

First, a little background:

When I decided to give up horn playing before it inevitably gave me up, I went into Management and Administration and eventually became a Management Services Consultant; working for such diverse companies as Rank Xerox, Oxford University Press, North Thames Gas Board, the Manufacturing Industry and the NHS.

But one cannot just totally abandon the need to be artistically creative, which is why I devoted my spare hours to painting, photography and writing - which included poetry.

I was contracted by the government's Manpower Services Commision to do a Survey and Report on one of their "Sheltered Workshops" and whilst I was there, I was approached by a member of the Orders and Dispatch staff who showed me a letter they had received complaining about an overdue delivery - and it was written in rhyming verse. Could I compose an apologetic reply in a similar way?

So I decided to write a "Shakespearean" sonnet - and here it is:

On British Industry's Reply to Just Criticism

Snipe not at us because your goods are late
                          Sending us odes which waste our time to read.
                          We are not seeking to prevaricate.
                          We know we have not met the date agreed.
                          The answer may be found in many quarters.
                          Suppliers' quotes, which are pure speculation
                          And little things that always seem to thwart us
                          Like goods sent to the wrong railway station.

We're sorry that we were too optimistic
                          Causing you to send complaints in rhyme
                          You may think that our answer's too simplistic
                          It's Murphy's law that beats us every time.
                          The goods we manufacture are the best
                          Herewith a sample - shall we start the rest?
                          You see? If I can do it, then so can you.

Have a go!

(Alfred Lord) Hornspieler

Comment

• salymap
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

Here are the first 8 lines of a very bad poem. Lines too short for a sonnet, could someone lengthen it for me. Not a patch on HS's effort, I'm afraid

Fear not to face the Schubert week
                            The days will pass and jobs get done
                            No other music we will seek
                            But toil and may enjoy the sun.

We know this thwarts the programme's aim
                            And shouldn't wish the week to end
                            Tchaikovsky will return again
                            Before we all go round the bend.

PS I love Schubert but not like this.
                            Last edited by salymap; 22-03-12, 14:41.

Comment

• Hornspieler

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                              Here are the first 8 lines of a very bad poem. Lines too short for a sonnet, could someone lengthen it for me. Not a patch on HS's effort, I'm afraid

Fantastic and very apt. Don't be so modest, Saly. That's the very thing that this thread is all about - expressing ones feelings in poetic form.

Who's next?

HS

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by salymap View Post

Is Schubert’s music the food of love
                                We’ll likely get an excess of it
                                How soon before we get off peed
                                With endless games of follow my lied
                                At the end will our love of him be undiminished
                                Or unlike his symphony will it be finished.

Comment

Working...
                                X